• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publicity/marketing] Book Candy Studios

klnappier

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KLNappier.com
Hi, Everyone,

Any info/opinions/experience on/with Book Candy Studios? It's a publicity agency that, according to the web site, specializes in viral promo. An online friend of mine is with them and recommends them, but I figure it never hurts to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc opinion. Their link is:

http://www.bookcandystudios.com/

Appreciate any light you can throw on the subject.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Putting aside questions of whether or not you should hire a publicity agency to promote a book, I'd worry about hiring an agency that seems to specialize in viral marketing but has such a poor website.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Yeah. That website truly sucks.

I'm skeptical. Much of what they claim to provide sounds like stuff you could do yourself--social media promotion and press releases--or whose effectiveness is unproven--such as book trailers.

Can your friend tie the use of Book Candy's services to sales of his/her book?

- Victoria

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I'd want to see some proof of how well their services work before I signed up for anything like that.

Twitter and Facebook have turned into a virtual firehouse of shameless self-promotion spam. I'm not sure that viral marketing really works 95% of the time.

You can viral market the new Star Trek movie because, well, it's the new Star Trek movie. It's an established franchise. You can do the same with (insert well-known author here). But for an author with a press that lacks solid marketing and distribution? It's an uphill battle.

These folks may get the job done, but just like anything else you need to determine if they'll do the job for you and you'll get your money's worth.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wonder why you'd bother too, since few authors even go on book tours and there's no evidence trailers help with sales all that much. If you're with a good publisher, they'll do enough marketing for you. This site gives me the feeling they're going with the notion that authors in general must market, which is simply not true unless you're self-published. I really don't see any merits here.