• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mojocastle Press

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gradually working through some of the rec'd publishers here, but I haven't seen anything on Mojocastle Press. Does anyone have any info about them good or bad?

Thanks,
Annette

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I know a little about them. I would consider them small but respectable as an epublisher. I think they have a more professional approach than most and a very clear, specific niche and market plan.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! That sounds promising :)

Annette

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to be up again.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
And now it's up again. Seriously, sites go down for scores of reasons -- many beyond the control of the owner -- so it's not a reason to panic in and of itself.

Last edited:

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
And now it's up again. Seriously, sites go down for scores of reasons -- many beyond the control of the owner -- so it's not a reason to panic in and of itself.

I would call my state of mind regarding Mojocastle 'annoyed' not panicked. There are issues going on behind the scenes which non-Mojo authors are unaware of. The link to my only print book with them has been broken for upwards of 6 months now and there have been and still are other ongoing problems.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since this is the first time you've mentioned your relationship with the company or any problems they might have, please elaborate so we may understand your concerns.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Late royalties, books aren't released on time--8 different release dates for one title, first of which was December 2007 book came out April 2009... Excuses why royalties aren't paid on time, why they can't be reached by email for long periods of time, being told to call, leaving a message and not getting a call back. A dead link to my only print book with them that I've reported to them monthly since November of 2008 and which remains dead amid a slew of excuses on why it's still not working.

I've been very patient with this situation because I actually liked the editor there, but no more. I've run out of patience since this garbage has been going on since April of 2007.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining, and I'm sorry to hear it. If you haven't already, I suggest forwarding the issues to Writer Beware, P&E, etc., for their records

Any other authors out there having troubles with Mojocastle?

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
More pages are 404 on the site, the constant excuses--and lack of communication--continue. I have not heard from Stephani Kelsey in going on three months. Books that are out of contract are still up on the site and are still being sold through Fictionwise. The link to my print book is still dead. The excuse is the pages are difficult to upload to their hosting service.

ChrissieBentley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrissiebentley.ning.com
Thanks for explaining, and I'm sorry to hear it. If you haven't already, I suggest forwarding the issues to Writer Beware, P&E, etc., for their records

Any other authors out there having troubles with Mojocastle?

I signed contracts for two books with them back in May and December 2007... since that time, I've had a few promises of "it'll be out soon" regarding one of them, but nothing at all on the other - which is extra annoying as it was an anthology of short stories, and I now have a couple of dozen other writers blaming me for the non-appearance of their story.

I don't know what's going on, e-mails aren't being answered, the website etc is no help at all.... Maybe it's time to take the books elsewhere.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I waited for two years for them to release Sakura Blades. I'm still waiting for the issue with the broken print link to be fixed. Additionally, a visit to their website revealed that they've put a book back on sale that was out of contract in April. I reported this problem almost a week ago, and as yet it has not been corrected.

Some authors have already withdrawn books which had contracts dating back to 2007. I know two of them who've done this.

I am not renewing any of my contracts with them and am seeking homes for those books which are coming out of contract or have already reached their contract expiration. I am given constant excuses as to why books which have gone out of contract aren't being taken down in a timely manner and I am being told to call them--long distance--despite the fact I've explained to them repeatedly that I have very limited minutes on my cell phone.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
A book that the contract expired on June 30th is still being sold on Fictionwise, requests to remove it have been ignored. The print book's link has been completely removed from the site, so no sales can be made via the publisher's website. Emails have not been responded to, I have not heard anything from the Editor-in-Chief since May. Contact with the other co-owner is hit and miss, with repeated comments that authors with concerns must call them. I've explained that I don't have unlimited time on the phone and calls to them typically last over an hour with endless excuses and no real resolutions of the issues forthcoming after such calls.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Problems continue. The book with the expired contract is still being sold on Fictionwise. Contact with Fictionwise has been made, they state no notice for the removal of the book has been made by the publisher. Oddly another of my books that expired on July 30th was taken down right away. (It was not one of my best sellers with them while the other book is part of a series that is.) Contact remains spotty. We were promised royalties and payments at the first week of August, no payments or royalties have been received. The Editor-in-Chief remains non-responsive, the other owner takes days and weeks to reply. No reply has been made to my most recent email regarding the removal of the book with the expired contract where I quoted the information from Fictionwise customer service on the fact Fictionwise has no take down request for my book from the publisher. A brief reply on the author loop in response to an older post made my me was replied to stating they were 'again contacting Fictionwise regarding the removal of the book.' Other authors are also having issues with them not removing all appearances of expired books from the site. We have to tell them page by page where our books are located or they 'miss' some of them. I go by to make sure they haven't 'accidentally' put any of my books that are out of contract back up because this has happened before.

Last edited:

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
The book still being sold on Fictionwise is also still being sold on the Mojo website in a 'one click' batch book order of the first books in the series it is part of.

They are not responding to another author's request to have her book removed from their site.

No new books have been released since April of this year. The Editor In Chief-Stef Kelsey has not replied to any emails sent to her since May. I will try her again, but I have little hope she will respond.

Does anyone know of a lawyer specializing in breeches of contract involving a publisher? I think it's time for a 'cease and desist' letter.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
You need a lawyer who specializes in publishing contracts michael. They'll be able to determine legally how the publisher has breached the contract and what steps to take.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
You need a lawyer who specializes in publishing contracts michael. They'll be able to determine legally how the publisher has breached the contract and what steps to take.

I know how they've breached the contract. For one the contract has expired and they no longer have rights to sell the books in question. They have also not paid us the first or second Quarter 2009 payments from Fictionwise. Even if they've reverted to Quarterly payments for sales from their website they are late making this payment too.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
They have finally taken down the books which are out of conctract, but no payments have been made as yet. We've been told that Stefany Kelsey's internet is on the fritz--I've seen this excuse used at least three or four times in the last two years--so the issues continue.

auburnimp

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had nearly as many problems with them as Michael has but there statements have a nasty habit of not arriving for months on end. I'm also waiting for two lots of Fictionwise payments and I'm getting very tired of the constant excuses.

As soon as my books with them are out of contract I will be leaving for pastures new.