• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mojocastle Press

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
Anything more current here? They're actively seeking authors now, but there are some red flags on their website, like books being listed in multiple genres to pad out their listings.

Just curious if things have changed/ been reorganized, or if it's the same.
Kenra

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Kenra!

Mojocastle Press had some issues in the past, but we're still going strong. I've taken on a new partner, and we have big plans for the future. We'll be debuting a newly redone website soon, and have hired a slate of experienced editors and artists to take care of the production backlog. In fact, at the moment, the backlog is pretty much nonexistent. We're also working on marketing plans that will benefit both the author and the house.

I would happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best,
Stephanie Kelsey, Owner and Editor-in-Chief
Mojocastle Press LLC

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
Let me Reintroduce Myself - Mojocastle Press LLC

Hello!

Very glad to be here. I am Stephanie Kelsey, and I've been involved in independent publishing for more than fifteen years.

I started out as a proofreader for Wings e-Press, then moved on to copyediting for Zumaya Publications. My next step was editor-in-chief of eXtasy Books. In 2006, I finally became the owner of my own house, partnering with two others.

I am now the sole owner and editor-in-chief of Mojocastle Press LLC, an independent publishing house that specializes in erotica and erotic romance. I have a working partner, the CEO and my husband, Ryan. So far the kids aren't old enough to put to work, but in time...

Anyway, we are about to do a massive "relaunch", including a new site, and I'm willing to answer any questions you all might have.

Thank you!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Stephanie, welcome to AW.

Up top, a couple of questions:

Where does the name "Mojocastle" come from? I mean, a name like that has to have a back story, right? :)

How many fiction books have you had a hands on part of publishing? Titles? Authors?

What is your definition of "independent publishing house," please? No offense intended, mind, but it is one of those buzz terms that some folks have used loosely and it would make sense to plant your flag clearly for the up and coming authors here.

And thank you for being so open and up front.

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
Up top, a couple of questions:

Where does the name "Mojocastle" come from? I mean, a name like that has to have a back story, right? :)
It does indeed. It was thought up by my previous partner. We liked the concept of a "Magic House", and that was her brainchild.

How many fiction books have you had a hands on part of publishing? Titles? Authors?
As of last count, we have over a hundred titles currently in active distribution. We have a queue of several more in final edit stage. If I'm understanding your reference to "hands on" correctly, you're meaning that I actively had a hand in publishing. That would be all of them. I insist on my eyes being the last on all titles to ensure quality control. I am proud to have thirty-two authors in my house, including well-known authors like Morgan Hawke, D.J. Manly, Carys Weldon, and Devyn Quinn.

What is your definition of "independent publishing house," please? No offense intended, mind, but it is one of those buzz terms that some folks have used loosely and it would make sense to plant your flag clearly for the up and coming authors here.
Ah, yes, I understand. The standard definition is fairly simple: a publishing house who isn't part of a recognized corporation or other large entity. My house does fit that description. But I do have my own personal definition as well.

As I stated, I personally oversee all aspects of the production and distribution process to maintain consistent quality. My basis for quality is based on what I have learned readers enjoy and appreciate, not on a preconceived style guide or accepted formulas. Now, this does not mean I ignore proper grammar and spelling, just that I have my own house style guide.

While I utilize third party distributors such as Barnes and Noble and Amazon, I am careful to ensure said distribution is set up to fully benefit both the house and the author.

I have a partnership with a small private printer for print titles. These print books are sold on Amazon and are available for booksignings. The best part? There is no return policy to deal with. Most companies rely on mainstream producers for their print books (Lightning Source, Lulu). I do not. My overhead is much less because of this, therefore, all authors can get their titles in print without having to reach a sales goal, and the royalty is also much higher than standard on said print.

Finally, I have total freedom to publish anything I find to be of a quality consistent with other works in my house without having to adhere to formula or preconceived rules, or even discuss it with a committee.

I seemed to have made a bit of a speech there, but I hope that answered your question. (.:

And thank you for being so open and up front.
Always.

Last edited:

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since this about a publishing house I'll port to Bewares and Backgrounds.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Hello!

Very glad to be here. I am Stephanie Kelsey, and I've been involved in independent publishing for more than fifteen years.

I started out as a proofreader for Wings e-Press, then moved on to copyediting for Zumaya Publications. My next step was editor-in-chief of eXtasy Books. In 2006, I finally became the owner of my own house, partnering with two others.

I am now the sole owner and editor-in-chief of Mojocastle Press LLC, an independent publishing house that specializes in erotica and erotic romance. I have a working partner, the CEO and my husband, Ryan. So far the kids aren't old enough to put to work, but in time...

Anyway, we are about to do a massive "relaunch", including a new site, and I'm willing to answer any questions you all might have.

Thank you!

I hope you have smooth sailing from here on out Stef.

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
The company
Welcome, Mojo! I hope you like it here.

We were wondering: was Marjorie Jones (who now runs Indie Author Press) involved in Mojocastle at one point?

Thank you all for the kind greetings!

Yes, Marjorie Jones was one of the three original owners. She voluntarily gave up her position and interest in the company in 2008. Her official position was Chief Financial Officer.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if David Bailey knows about this.

Yes - David Bailey.

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
Someone pointed out to me that their title "Hell...O!" is using a photograph of Emmy-winning actor Rhys Meyers. I would assume not with permission of same and/or photographer and/or the magazine it first appeared in (Numéro Homme)?

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I have taken steps to resolve the situation and to ensure that this issue will not happen in the future.

Thanks again!

Stephanie Kelsey

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I just took a look at the links above and it looks to me as though the troubling book jacket is still on your website. Or have you swapped it for another similar image?

Mojocastle

Registered
Reaction score
I just took a look at the links above and it looks to me as though the troubling book jacket is still on your website. Or have you swapped it for another similar image?

Exactly the latter. The only part of the cover that posed a problem was the male model, so the artist changed it. The original model was slimmer, had a narrower face, was wearing a black jacket, and had shorter hair.