• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mojocastle Press

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I see your point and from that perspective it may not make a lot of sense. I have been convinced that we need to have a discussion internally to better address our position on rights. I do not know exactly were that discussion will end up, but I do believe that having it is a worthwhile effort. I appreciate the feedback.

Rights sales are complex and intricate, and need a lot of knowledge and expertise. People who work successfully in this area usually have a wide network of colleagues and contacts across the world, and they also often work with subagents in other countries who take a commission on the sales they make.

I don't disagree with anything you said here and I am the first to admit that I do not have specialized expertise in every area you called out. However, I do have years of experience working as a negotiator for the U.S. Navy and have worked many extraordinarily complex and difficult deals with totals that have exceeded well over a billion dollars. Does this mean I am an expert at negotiating movie rights, of course not, but a lot of the basic skills apply to any type of negotiation.

I've negotiated quite a few book deals in my time, but I wouldn't dream of trying to buy or sell anything for the U.S. Navy.

Your experience in the Navy is great if you're making deals for the Navy. But it won't help you in working out what's an appropriate advance and royalties combination for a book you're licensing to a publisher in China. It won't help you know whether the contract you're offered by a Dutch publisher are favourable or not. It won't help you know when to refuse an offer for the audio rights to a book.

If you're not confident working with your own agency contract, and haven't spotted the problems with it, then you're very unlikely to be able to negotiate the contracts required for these deals.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the compliment.

It was sincerely given. I've seen so many publishers come here fighting: it's really refreshing to meet someone who is clearly keen to improve and do better.

What would be your take on maintaining rights for things that are being worked on, but may not be in place yet?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

If you mean you're working on producing an audio book version of your authors' books (for example) but at the moment you're still finding out about putting audio books into production, and once you've got proper costings and have a business plan in place you'll be going ahead, then I can see the point in retaining those rights.

If you mean you might eventually publish audio books but you're not doing it right now and you don't know when you'll take those first steps, then nope. That's not acceptable, in my view. Only take the rights you're already able to exploit. Leave the rest with the author.

Grimoire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mojocastle.com
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that we reviewed all the suggested revisions to our contract and have made a number of proposed changes. We reached out to get some more input before finalizing, but we did already change the description of how royalties are calculated on our website. I believe that wording now more accurately captures our intent. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone again for the great suggestions!

V/R,

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Grimoire, if you want advice on your contract please ensure that the people you're "reach[ing] out" to are suitably qualified to give you good advice. While we have our opinions, we are no substitute for appropriately qualified and experienced professionals.

Sarandipity

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mojocastle Press published my first novel 'Circe' http://amzn.to/haSA3g in 2008 and since then not a penny in royalty! I've been telling Stephanie Kelsey to take the book down, end the contract (which I never renewed, so it must have expired by now), but no response, although earlier in a pm on Facebook she offered to end the contract. Ryan Kelsey does not respond at all, she told me to write to him regarding royalty. I wonder, can I just go ahead and self publish the book, regardless of when they take it off their website and Amazon, etc.? I have asked Angela Hoy of Writer's Weekly to help. She had helped me with this same novel years ago when another publisher had pulled the same trick. Mylero.com held the book for a year at least and would not take it down until she stepped in. Thanks.

Grimoire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mojocastle.com
This is being handled

Hi Mojocastle Press published my first novel 'Circe' http://amzn.to/haSA3g in 2008 and since then not a penny in royalty! I've been telling Stephanie Kelsey to take the book down, end the contract (which I never renewed, so it must have expired by now), but no response, although earlier in a pm on Facebook she offered to end the contract. Ryan Kelsey does not respond at all, she told me to write to him regarding royalty. I wonder, can I just go ahead and self publish the book, regardless of when they take it off their website and Amazon, etc.? I have asked Angela Hoy of Writer's Weekly to help. She had helped me with this same novel years ago when another publisher had pulled the same trick. Mylero.com held the book for a year at least and would not take it down until she stepped in. Thanks.

This issue is currently being handled. The author lives outside the United States and has not completed the W8BEN form required by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Her royalties have been held until she either completes the form and acquires the necessary Tax ID number or indicates that we should send a percentage to the IRS as required by law. This information has been conveyed to the author several times to include emails with the form and the instructions attached.

The book is under contract. The contract has an auto-renew clause. However, as we are phasing out the publishing side of our business and focusing on editorial services and formatting, all our authors were offered the opportunity to be released from their contracts. The author was notified of this by email with all the other authors. The author's wishes are acknowledged and a release document is being prepared and will be submitted to the author for review and signature shortly. No tricks, no shenanigans here folks.