The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Debra Fishpaw Literary Agency

Working Author

Question Debra Fishpaw Literary Agency

Can anyone give me some insight on Debra Fishpaw? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, there are many red flags on their website, not the least of which is a $60 "data setup fee". I'd pass. http://www.debrafishpawagency.com/home.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    The three sales claimed by her agency are listed at Amazon as published by Bookman Publishing and Marketing. Not a very good omen.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Is she any relation to "Francine Fishpaw"?
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

Dreamer
    Is she any relation to "Francine Fishpaw"?
    I wanted to make a comment along those lines, you beat me too it.

Working Author

Smile Re: Debra Fishpaw

I wish to thank each of you for your feedback. It has helped immensely.

Teena

working hard - hard at work? iwannabepublished's Avatar

Exclamation Debra Fishpaw - doubt she was EVER a real agent

I had the misfortune of signing a contract with this agent. For six months she was never able to tell me if she even submitted my work to anyone. I finally got fed up and asked for some kind of a report. She told me that, for six months, she had either e-mailed or called 5 publishers, with no luck. I never thought that e-mail or phone calls was the legitimate way an agent should be contacting publishers. I decided to terminate the contract. Coincidentally, I received an e-mail from her containing the following: “Effective September 1, 2005, the Debra Fishpaw Agency will no longer enter into traditional literary agency contracts and will be operating as an advisory fee-based literary consulting agency.”
    The  Alkano Letters - The Carthage Connection - Carved In  Stone
    The Alkano Letters - The Carthage Connection - Carved In Stone
    (Amazon softcover/kindle - B&N nook - Smashwords various formats)

Gaaah!

Sorry for your frustration, Ken. Chalk it up to experience in how to spot the bad 'uns, and all that rot....
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

working hard - hard at work? iwannabepublished's Avatar
    Yea, I've almost given up on agents (it's been 2 years and almost 100 queries). I'm currently in the middle of the approval process with a real publisher - maybe I'll have some luck now.
    The  Alkano Letters - The Carthage Connection - Carved In  Stone
    The Alkano Letters - The Carthage Connection - Carved In Stone
    (Amazon softcover/kindle - B&N nook - Smashwords various formats)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenteicher View Post
    “Effective September 1, 2005, the Debra Fishpaw Agency will no longer enter into traditional literary agency contracts and will be operating as an advisory fee-based literary consulting agency.”
    No trace of her in any capacity after May 2006.
    ICAO
    ---------