A Lurker Steps Forward - With a Finished Piece

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang.

I've been snoopin' around here a long time, reading everything I could and trying to retain what I read, be it formats, the market, writing philosophy, genre observations, submission technique, you name it.

I feel I owe this forum for the information it has made available. Posters both new and old, published and otherwise, have left invaluable information in their wakes, gems in their tracks for followers to find. It is deeply appreciated.

Now that I've finished my first real piece, a fantasy short, specifically a ghost story in a fantasy setting.
I figured it was time to say hello.
I figured I could least empathize with a few newbie battle scars once I had a work completed. I'm leery of posting it here for critique, but I've never really seen any criticisms here that lacked value.
I just don't know if I should post the whole thing or merely the first few pages. It isn't an experimental beginning, it's a completed work. They say you have to learn to kill the things you love in writing. I suppose that applies to the editing and submission process, too.
It's intimidating, though. Jeez.

In the meantime, I am working on a piece in modern time, a dark fantasy.
I'm a ghoul at heart.

The practical voice in my head says it has no audience, at least not a big one like Twilight or Harry Potter. It doesn't have that sort of mass appeal. In a time of economic woes, it seems to have the deck stacked against it more than it normally would.

The voice of my self worth tells me I'd rather not be published if it means telling tales I do not love.

I'm Barrett. Nice to meet ya.

Last edited:

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Nice to meet ya, too, Barrett.

Posting in SYW is a good way to get a sanity check of whether a piece is working. Posts of under 2,000 words usually have a better chance of being read. Anything longer and it's somewhat daunting to potential critters. Take a look at the threads stickied to the Main SYW board for more information.

And don't let self-doubt stop you. Write what you want to write, and don't sabotage yourself with market worries.

Good luck, and congratulations on your finished piece!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind welcomes.

Let me mention that the first few pages of my first short are now available for critique in "Share Your Work" under Fantasy. It's called "The Braid-bound Candle".

Feel free to dismember it and put it's head on a pike.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to AW, Barrett! :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
Cactus,

Heavy on the butter.

I've never been so welcomed at a forum. Thank you all.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
If you're ready to submit it, then you might want to post it in a couple places. I'd say post it here on SYW, then, if you're looking for in-line critiques, you could post it someplace like here:

http://www.critiquecircle.com/default.asp

Of course, it might take a while before you develop a rapport with one of the more established authors there, and it can be intimidating to have something you wrote ripped to shreds. So, you might try a site that's a little newer and has fewer authors in the hopes you get a crit from one of the better ones. They might not be as harsh, seeing as how they're more interested in keeping new authors coming back:

http://www.scribophile.com/

Good luck.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Barrett!