AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] The Nazca Plains Corp.

New kid, be gentle!

[Publisher] The Nazca Plains Corp.

A friend has just been approached by Nazca Plains Press - does anyone know anything about them? I did a search and came up blank, so I assume no-one has started a thread.

I had a look at their website and although it's sparse it doesn't ring too many warning bells, it's just I'm always abit suspicious of publishers approaching authors.

They aren't on P&E either.

Many thanks

Erastes

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    http://www.thenazcaplainscorp.com/

I take it this is their site.

They say on their site they offer a 'Standard author contract'. One would take from this they are not 'pay-to-play', though did your friend indicate why they approached him. Even for a small press, this is unusual, and caution for that reason would be advised.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Erastes:
    A friend has just been approached by Nazca Plains Press
    How did they find out about your friend? Was it a spam mailing or does your friend have a specific background in fiction/non-fiction that might make a publisher interested?

Erastes:
    it's just I'm always abit suspicious of publishers approaching authors.
    With good reason - publishers don't usually approach authors. The only case I've ever heard of where an author was approached by a publisher, it was because that author had a very significant history of publishing short stories through professional magazines and the publisher was interested in publishing a collection.

Trying a Google of "Nazca Plains Press" doesn't turn up anything (which is never a good sign), but I did find a site for Nazca Plains Publishing, which appears to be in imprint belonging to Red Room (an off-shoot of The Red Room Writers Society).

Is it this company that's approached your friend?

I've never heard of them (although that could be because they seem to be US-orientated and based). They do appear to have had some books reviewed in the New York Times but the people listed seem to have backgrounds as lawyers rather than in the publishing industry.

MM

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Ah, interesting - it looks like Nazca Plains Publishing and Nazca Plain Corp are completely different entities.

MickRooney:
    They say on their site that they offer a 'Standard author contract'. One would take from this that they are not 'pay-to-play'
    Actually, I take the opposite view because they go on to say:

Nazca Plains Corp:
    While there is not a lot of money to be made, you just never know when a new book will take off and make serious money.
    That suggests to me that they're not paying an advance, so authors are reliant on sales but there's nothing to suggest that they're actually capable of getting books in stores (which are what is needed to really shift volume). They also claim to be able to let authors know within "one working day" if their manuscript will be accepted. There is no way that any commercial publisher will be able to do a turn around that quickly.

MM

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    What have they published? Is it shelved in bookstores? Have you personally read anything they published? Has anyone you know ever read anything they've published?

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    From the website, it looks like they mostly publish erotica.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    "Standard author contract" means precisely nothing, since the publishing company may not be experienced enough to know what a "standard" contract is. Nazca Plains also seems to have an excessive number of imprints--with a smaller publisher, often a marker for a less professional company.

On the other hand, the covers look good, and they have a U.S. distributor (as distinct from a wholesaler). That's generally a good sign--although I don't know what this distributor's reputation is.

Plus, this publisher has a well-defined defined niche, which makes marketing easier.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Nazca Plains publishes erotica -- fiction and non-fiction. A friend of mine's published two books with them, and while he hasn't made much money at it, he got copies of the books and they're available on Amazon all over the world. It's a print on demand kind of deal, and he gets paid a little for each book sold. My writing's not as erotic as his, so I haven't even tried, but he says they are looking to double their lineup f authors so...

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Is there such a thing as non-fiction erotica?

That aside, being listed on Amazon just means your book has an ISBN. If your friend self-published, he could still list on Amazon. PublishAmerica authors are listed on Amazon. It's not the same as being avaliable in stores where buyers can see them.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They've added a FAQ page (http://www.thenazcaplainscorp.com/writer.aspx), wherein we learn such things as "To recover our costs, you will not receive any royalty payments for the first 200 copies sold."
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Threshold now 250.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: