What exactly is character "angst" or wankst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Angst is like angry at your dad or somebody so everything you do, the way you treat other people is affected by this anger . . .
This is a really good way of defining it--when the drama and complaining starts to interfere with or override the story.

I've found that a lot of books that have very little or no despair and complaining come off as shallow and unrealistic. They show the bad things happen, but then don't go into how the events make the characters feel and how they cope.

So I guess you need some drama, but not too much. Kind of like every other element in writing.

I love Anne Rice's vampire books, and I'm not an angsty teenager. They're actually the only vampire books I like.

RavenCorinnCarluk

Burgeoning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raven.youareannoying.us
Here's another way to think about it.

Angst is when something tragic or sucky happens to you, and you learn to cope with it, and deal with the pain. Like when someone or something you love leaves you, and you can't go do the things you used to do together because it reminds you of them.

Wangst/wankst is when you mope and whine and look for attention about the "pain" you're suffering. It's melodramatic, and usually not about something important, and makes anyone who HAS suffered real pain want to smack the whine right off their mouth.

Michiru

Registered
Reaction score
AGREE. I'm 52 years old, a bit stoic and reserved - the last thing from "emo" you'll ever meet - and I loved Louis. He engaged in remarkably little complaining when you consider that his life, indeed, his immortal soul, was taken from him, in addition to all the other tragedy you mention. Yet he above all retains respect for human life and tries valiantly to adhere to his value system. He is a noble character.

I despised Lestat. I never forgave Anne Rice for continuing the series with Lestat instead of Louis as the MC, making him the star after he commits unforgivable atrocities. He is grandiose, self-important, and blows through the world with the entitlement and care of a bull in a china shop.

I guess the lesson learned here is that readers can be very different and so different types of characters will appeal to different people.

Rushie, I'm with you. I never understood Lestat's popularity. There's a thread going on in, I think, the YA or novel section about whether you like bad boys, and a lot of people do. But I like good boys--the ones who try their best to be their best, instead of making excuses and acting like jerks. Sadly, Anne herself decided she hated Louis and began trying to dismantle his character, which as a fan was sad to me. But IWtV is still right there for me to read. :)

And Gillhoughly, you're absolutely right. We all judge characters based on our own experiences, I think, which is why I can't stand Lestat when lots of people love him, eh?

The bit about bashing your readers is a good point, too. Anne Rice lost SO much reader respect with that rant. The thing is, her books are really glorified Mary Sues. Lestat is based on her husband (and bits of herself are in him too, but mostly her husband), and as she changed she wrote herself in as the one he falls for in each book (starting with Louis, and ending with Rowena Mayfair). The story is thus so personal to her that she obviously also took the criticism personally.

Actually, much as I don't like Stephanie Meyer's writing--it's not bad, but not great--I admire the heck out of her for her dignity in the face of criticism. Book four in the Twilight series was ripped apart by fans and her only response was that she had written the series for herself, based on her dreams, and she was honored that the readers has come with her as far as they had. Didn't say a word about the Stephen King criticism, either. Now that's class. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.