your time period and movies

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Troy frustrates me. It got so much right. 90% of the casting was inspired. Peter O'Toole as Priam. Orlando Bloom as Paris. Eric Bana as Hector. Brian Cox as Agamemnon. Sean Bean as Odysseus. The city of Troy looked perfect. But I never once bought Brad Pitt as Achilles. And the last half hour of the film is just a crime.

I'm afraid I couldn't take it seriously once they opened their mouths and couldn't even pronounce their names correctly. Shame, because there was an awful lot of eye candy to enjoy in that film.

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
YES. The first season at least was a disaster. Jonathon Rhys Meyers is okay, but nothing like Henry VIII, all the women are ridiculously (ludicrously) sexy, and (in the first season at least) the history was pretty butchered. Henry had two sisters; in the series, the real-life sister Margaret was eliminated completely, and the other sister Mary was named "Margaret" but did all the same things as the historical Mary! Very odd.

Not to mention the fact they make Henry attractive and from the paintings I've seen of the man, he doesn't really look all that great to me...

One of the movies I have a really hard time with is The Last Samurai. I mean--seriously??? I don't know a ton about Japanese history (though I'm trying to learn) but that was completely and totally ridiculous. There may have been a salvageable story there if they didn't have Tom Cruise and you know, the whole plot about a foreign "samurai" being part of one of the last rebellions in the Meiji era.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Not sure about the historical accuracy because I'm not too up on the period, but I really dug Mongol. If anything it's worth seeing for the beautiful vistas and the use of Mongolian cast/language.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Not to mention the fact they make Henry attractive and from the paintings I've seen of the man, he doesn't really look all that great to me...

One of the movies I have a really hard time with is The Last Samurai. I mean--seriously??? I don't know a ton about Japanese history (though I'm trying to learn) but that was completely and totally ridiculous. There may have been a salvageable story there if they didn't have Tom Cruise and you know, the whole plot about a foreign "samurai" being part of one of the last rebellions in the Meiji era.

Actually, Henry was quite the stud in his early days. Tall, handsome, golden, athletic, KING. He became king at 18 and was adored by all the ladies. So, Jonathon Reese-Meyers being good-looking didn't bother me, especially when they were showing Henry's early life. The dark hair was a problem. But now they're starting in on season three, after Queen Anne's death, and by that time he was middle-aged and starting to deteriorate. JRM doesn't really fit that description.

I do want to give them kudos for showing that Henry wasn't always a fat middle-aged man with a bad temper. The fact that he wasn't always so is usually forgotten.

And Jane Seymour was MOUSY, not a BLONDE STUNNER [that was the POINT of her, the anti-Anne Boleyn]. I tihnk I mentioned that already, but I'll just repeat it for emphasis.

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Actually, Henry was quite the stud in his early days. Tall, handsome, golden, athletic, KING. He became king at 18 and was adored by all the ladies. So, Jonathon Reese-Meyers being good-looking didn't bother me, especially when they were showing Henry's early life. The dark hair was a problem. But now they're starting in on season three, after Queen Anne's death, and by that time he was middle-aged and starting to deteriorate. JRM doesn't really fit that description.

I do want to give them kudos for showing that Henry wasn't always a fat middle-aged man with a bad temper. The fact that he wasn't always so is usually forgotten.

And Jane Seymour was MOUSY, not a BLONDE STUNNER [that was the POINT of her, the anti-Anne Boleyn]. I tihnk I mentioned that already, but I'll just repeat it for emphasis.

I think the reason why I always thought he was unattractive was because of the most well known picture of him...where he most certainly wasn't. :tongue

I knew I couldn't be persuaded to watch that show when I saw previews for it. I don't mind *some* inaccuracy, but I get beyond irritated when it's blatantly wrong. Oh well. That's Hollywood for you...at least for the most part.

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
But the Tudors was so very, very awful. Making the two sisters into one was suggesting viewers would be too thick to follow the story if Henry had two relatives whose names started with 'M'. I can't even remember how they killed off Wolsey, but it wasn't the way it happened. And everyone was so clean and gorgeous. They had Henry VIII about 20 years old when he should have been, what, 40? And his daughter was about eight. It was just a bonk-fest pretending to be history.

The Tudors is such a guilty pleasure of mine. So many people warned me it butchered history so, naturally, I had to check it out. The next thing I knew, I'd bought both seasons and was halfway through the first.

I can't help it! I'm a sucker for pretty. :eek: