When you've beta read a good story -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
- do you ever wonder what's happened to it after a long while?

I beta read a brilliant YA story last year, The North Shore, by a couple of young ladies called Lisa and Laura. It was a modern take on the old classic, Pride and prejudice, and I thought it was just great!
After having a few rejections from agencies, they were going to give up with it. I told them not to, to keep peddling it until they got a bite, because I really thought it was that good. I've never seen those young ladies on here since, but I would really love to know if they ever got representation and are they still writing.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have their email address? You could ask them.

And, yes, I often wonder if a story I've beta-read has met with any success. I just hope the author would let me know, but there's certainly no guarantee they would.

BTW, I think I read a query letter in SYW by those girls for that very book not more than a month or two ago. You should check it out!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You may be able to send them an email through their profile here if they have that option.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
They got an agent!

I remember seeing their thread on Goals and Accomplishments a couple of weeks ago. Authoress on the Miss Snark's First Victim blog announced their good news, too. I think the offers for rep came for their 2nd mss, which was a YA mystery.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Know the feeling of wanting to keep up with your beta victims. I joined the Purgatory group thread in R&D (the board, not the other R&D :tongue) to keep in touch with mine - I also stalk their blogs.

There is one novel I really, really loved, I mean read multiple times obsessed over it loved, that I don't know what happened to. It was only last year, so I guess maybe there's been no progress yet?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I just beta-ed someone's first two chapters a couple of months ago, and now I'm hoping the book comes out so I can find out what happened. :)

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks peeps. I don't know how I missed the query or that they've actually got to be published, but I am really happy for the girls, they did great!

For myself, I would never take on something unless I could have the whole thing to look over, as I know I wouldn't be very interested in just a part of a work and they wouldn't get the best from me.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I feel awrfly muvverly, but I can't keep track of all my "children" while trying to get my own sh17 together--with a dedicated beta breathing down my neck! So it's love'em and leave 'em. :eek:

Drat. I've got some exciting chapters on hand but my eyes are too bleary to read :(

Status
Not open for further replies.