Boar hunting in the Ancient World

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing a boar hunt scene in my WIP, and it's occurred to me I know as much about hunting as I do about sword fighting. I've grossed myself out looking online and I'm still no further forward. The Mycenaean hunted boar with dogs, thrusting spears, javelins and bows. They also used nets.

In my scene, the hunters track a boar, dogs injure it. At this point there's no net, but I'm thinking of adding one. Then a hunter kills the boar with a spear.

From a safety point of view, would it be more sensible or less sensible to have hunters weaken the boar with javelins before its killed? Bearing in mind the dogs have attacked it, so it can't get much angrier than it is already. The guy killing it is doing so as an initiation rite, but isn't a very good hunter, so the others are anxious to make the kill as easy as possible.

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
What does Xenophon have to say about it in his "On Hunting"? *goes to check* Wrong era, yes, but the mechanics should help?

I am suspicious about this:
dogs injure it.
Might be very much the other way round. Boar hunting is deadly. I am more inclined to believe that dogs would be flying about, like a bunch of little warlords from the blows of Xena Warrior Princess.

What breed? Molossians?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Suse want me to post images? There are lots of them from the ancient world and from Medieval mss. You can find them by searching on Google images for boar hunt medieval.

And yes, they did use dogs. Packs of specially bred dogs, and yeah, deaths were common.

There's a great description of a boar hunt in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Boars are smart, fast, and mean.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I don't know enough about Mycenaean culture or hunting practices to answer with complete authority, but I could certainly see the use of javelins. Of course there would be considerations about...

1) "Friendly fire" against fellow hunters and/or the hunting dogs.

2) Range. The Olympic record for javelin is 98.48 meters, and that's for pure distance with a specially designed javelin. I'd imagine effective range with a comparatively cruder javelin, against a small target like a boar, to be maybe half that, and shorter still if the boar is moving fast and erratically. Say...35-40 meters effective range. At that distance, if it's charging, there's not going to be much time to hurl a javelin and then pick up the spear.

3) Terrain. Where are they hunting? I know a common practice in primitive (i.e. non-firearm) hunting is for a group to fan out, make a lot of noise and drive the prey in the direction of the main hunting party. If you're in an area of thick foliage, the boar exploding suddenly into the clearing could make for some nice tension.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
And yes, they did use dogs. Packs of specially bred dogs, and yeah, deaths were common.

There's a great description of a boar hunt in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Boars are smart, fast, and mean.

It's been about ten years since I read it last, but I believe there's a hunting scene in the Aeneid, too.

Also...some good info referencing what ancient sources say about dogs and hunting: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/miscellanea/canes/canes.html

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a boar skull at home from an "adolescent" male bull. The tusks are 7" long and about 1" wide and about 1/2" thick.

Dogs, horses, men could be gored viciously. Boars are nasty beasties and fighting for their lives. Deaths among the hunters were common and expected and actually killing the boar was never a guarantee.

I did research about it for a historical Irish novel I wrote a while ago. It's really not a walk in the park--boars were notorious for their stamina and how much it really took to finally kill them. Anything that could be done to weaken them before the final spear-thrust is a good thing.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Phaedo, wonderful! He describes the whole setting up the nets business and then this cracking little passage:

As soon as the hounds are near his lair, they will make their onslaught. The boar, bewildered by the uproar, will rise up and toss the first hound that ventures to attack him in front. He will then run and fall into the toils; or if not, then after him full cry. (23) Even if the ground on which the toils environ him be sloping, he will recover himself promptly; (24) but if level, he will at once plant himself firm as a rock, as if deliberating with himself. (25) At that conjuncture the hounds will press hard upon him, while their masters had best keep a narrow eye upon the boar and let fly their javelins and a pelt of stones, being planted in a ring behind him and a good way off, until the instant when with a forward heave of his body he stretches the net tight and strains the skirting-rope. Thereupon he who is most skilful of the company and of the stoutest nerve will advance from the front and deliver a home thrust with his hunting-spear.

Medievalist, if you've got the images handy, I'd certainly appreciate it.

And Doogs, they flush the boar into a forest clearing.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Wow, this is all great stuff! I was actually pondering a hunting scene for the Alaric novel...this level of discussion really gets the juices flowing!

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Medievalist, this is brilliant. Thank you. To think I spent half my day trawling through nonsense and making myself barf when I could have been looking at these images and reading Xenophon! ;) I've located the hunting passage in Gawain too. I've actually got the poem, but never got round to reading it looks hard-going...

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Say...35-40 meters effective range. At that distance, if it's charging, there's not going to be much time to hurl a javelin and then pick up the spear.

Remember Suse, that your boar is likely in a forest and not charging over open ground. Cover will reduce the effective range of any weapon to the unobstructed visual range. I would place all the action within ten meters. Further than that, and there are just too many tree branches in the way to trust a light javelin to get through without being deflected.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
We have...

in NZ, what are called Captain Cook pigs. Left originally as food for shipwrecked sailors they rapidly went wild and bred until they are now a pest. They are big hairy bristly beasts and definitely not domestic or domesticatable.

We hunt them regularly. The meat is excellent! You do not shoot them, because the pigs are usually in forestry plantations or on private land and no guns are allowed, you must use a knife to 'stick' them. Pig hunting is very close up and personal. Do mention the smell and the noise in your hunt. Wild pigs have a strong smell and they are hot with rage, you can smell the heat and singed bristles! What with the dogs baying and yipping and snarling and the pig grunting, squealing and roaring you can't hear yourself speak so your fellow hunters have to know exactly who is doing what and where.

So, Suse, from first hand experience, first you use a pack of pig dogs which have been carefully trained. They will get cut and hurt. We always carry a dog first aid pack for them. We don't use nets, a big pig, boar or sow, will go through a net like a hot knife through melted butter. Perhaps the nets used in your time period were for catching the smaller pigs as they ran away? Or were they just to hinder the pig a bit and slow him down?

The pigs are always in the bush. That is they live in heavily forested areas with thick undergrowth which is virtually impossible to get into or see through, and you must use the dogs to drive them out. People can't do it as a boar will kill with those tusks and a sow doesn't think twice about bowling you over, especially if she has piglets around. And they all bite, nasty bites which will turn septic on dogs and us.

So the dogs go in and rouse the pig. Well trained dogs go for the biggest pig and they run it until it turns at bay. The dogs then hold it at bay until the hunters arrive. You have to be very fit and move fast to keep up with the dogs as the quicker you are the less injured they are! These days we have special satellite tracking collars on the dogs which has cut down on dog injury as we know where they are at all times.

At the kill the knife man goes in from behind the pig whilst the dogs and hunting partner distract from the front. It's got to be timed just right and done very quickly. My son favours the: ‘onto back, grab ear, yank head up and round, slash throat’ approach. It's a bit heart stopping to watch and believe me that knife has to be large and sharp.

A seriously big boar needs the front man/men to feint for the head and chest, holding and manoeuvring to let the knife man go for the heart.

As Richard B says, chucking a spear or javelin from a distance isn't on in the usually forested surroundings and a pig at bay backs itself into any kind of shelter it can find so a killing shot from a distance isn't usually possible. And no, you wouldn't annoy a furious boar by hurling a few spears into it. In those circs the beast charges. In fact the job of the dogs is to stop the boar or sow going for the hunters. Pigs don't die quietly and gently, they fight all the way.

From my experience both those pictures are much too tame. The second is accurate as to the setting but anyone sticking a spear into a pig would be leaning into the job with full strength and the pig would be going for the hunter's throat!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Wow, Medievalist, this is brilliant. Thank you. To think I spent half my day trawling through nonsense and making myself barf when I could have been looking at these images and reading Xenophon! ;) I've located the hunting passage in Gawain too. I've actually got the poem, but never got round to reading it looks hard-going...

OY! That's my life's work. Sort of.

Read it for Christmas. Seriously, it's a Christmas poem. There are some decent prose translations; I like Tolkien's.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Pdr, thank you! This is really helpful stuff. Yes, the nets are meant to slow the boar down, but I've abandoned them.

And no, you wouldn't annoy a furious boar by hurling a few spears into it. In those circs the beast charges. In fact the job of the dogs is to stop the boar or sow going for the hunters. Pigs don't die quietly and gently, they fight all the way.

Ah. I wasn't sure whether javelins would just make the boar angrier or if the dogs would already have driven him so demented that weakening him would be a smart idea. The thing is, I have to get the boar into a suitable condition for a less skilled hunter to kill him. If the hunter fails the rite, he doesn't get his throne and bride.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
At the kill the knife man goes in from behind the pig whilst the dogs and hunting partner distract from the front. It's got to be timed just right and done very quickly. My son favours the: ‘onto back, grab ear, yank head up and round, slash throat’ approach. It's a bit heart stopping to watch and believe me that knife has to be large and sharp.

My God!!! They actually jump on the boar's back and slit its throat!!! They must be insanely brave or just insane, I'm not sure which!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
What you could do...

Suse, is have your man's body guard or close companion drive a spear into the boar's chest, not a killing thrust, as your MC goes for the kill, a rib to heart thrust.

They must be insanely brave or just insane,

Nope. Just want to do an unpleasant job as swiftly, cleanly and kindly as possible. This is not bravado hunting. The pigs are a pest, do great damage to native and plantation forest, and farm crops and gardens. They have to be removed and this is the quickest and cleanest way to do it. Otherwise it's govt removal by poisoning which isn't at all swift or nice as dead pigs are food to other pigs!. With the dogs holding the pig on or by the back of neck is the best place to get at the pig.

Last edited: