Fantasy weapons development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how industrial age+ machines of any type could be preserved that long while still under constant usage.
The real problem here is wear. You're not going to run a machine for hundreds of years without spare parts. So either you need several dozen machines to cannibalize them to keep one running, or you need the technology to manufacture spares. But that shouldn't actually be too hard if you say it's mostly industrial era technology. I.e. no electronics, hardly any micromachinery. The biggest problem would be raw material, since turning iron ore into steel is a process that cannot be efficiently done on a small scale, but if you can just salvage steel from somehwere else (i.e. broken machine parts) just turning that into spare parts would be vastly easier. Heck, if you can melt down steel, you can even reuse the broken parts as raw material, the actual material loss is pretty insignificant.
Salvage might be the answer to the maintainence problem. Provided you could find a similar tool in a position reasonably sheltered from the elements, you might be able to take possession of something usable... what would the primary environmental factors be that would wear at the metal? Erosion and rust are pretty obvious, but can be countered by just looking in sheltered places. However, something like the constant expansion and contraction caused by seasonal temperature changes worries me... how unrealistic would it be to expect an unmaintained machine to survive 600 years of seasons changing in an area with similar climate to British Columbia?
Physical erosion in 600 years is pretty unlikely unless you get sahara-like sandstorms. Rain and damp however will turn unprotected metal into piles of rust. Or more like ruststains on the floor. I'd alos be curious how the environment is so dangerous it can kill a human in a few seconds. If its something physical it should affect the metal too maybe? If there's corrosive gases in the atmosphere for example.
Anyway, the important part for preserving metal is that it is kept reasonably dry. The thermal stresses would most likely damage any machinery to a point where it won't work, however that should be easily repairable, maybe all you need is to correct some dents with a hammer, if you're lucky. A bigger problem with temperature is, again, water. But a dry space underground should preserve metal well enough to make machines worth salvaging.

IanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
The blight and its danger to human beings is more a function of my magic system than something physical. It also drastically increases the amount of wind in affected areas and doesn't allow too much in the way of vegetation to grow, so nasty dust storms are a possibility. The effects it would have on the metal aren't significant... any of the magic strengthening the steel would be removed very quickly, and the strength of the chemical bonds might degrade. Fortunately, the same conditions that would keep the metal safe from rust (a heavily sheltered place, preferably sealed off) also would protect it from the worst of the effects.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The blight and its danger to human beings is more a function of my magic system than something physical. It also drastically increases the amount of wind in affected areas and doesn't allow too much in the way of vegetation to grow, so nasty dust storms are a possibility. The effects it would have on the metal aren't significant... any of the magic strengthening the steel would be removed very quickly, and the strength of the chemical bonds might degrade. Fortunately, the same conditions that would keep the metal safe from rust (a heavily sheltered place, preferably sealed off) also would protect it from the worst of the effects.
Since it sounds as if that blight actually kills of vegetation and animals too, i'd say it even helps protect machinery and other inert objects, as long as they're out of the wind. You could check up a bit archaeology a bit too get some useful idea of how fast human artifacts corrode. I.e. check out in what state roman artefacts are after 2k years in dry areas of the middle east compared to those in central europe.
But generally speaking, i think the machines should be preserved quite well though certainly not in working order after a few hundred years.

Status
Not open for further replies.