• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency (formerly Nancy Gallt L.A.)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize if this post is redundant, but I have been searching and can find nothing for this agent.

I'd appreciate any help.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I queried her on March 12th, and she got back to me the next day with the following:

Thank you for this opportunity. Unfortunately, I am presently swamped with submissions and can't offer to read even one more. I am sorry and wish you success in finding an agent with more time to devote to your interests.

Now I know that some agents say this even when they are still taking clients, so it's a hit or miss I guess! I was just thankful to hear back since a lot of agents give you the silent treatment.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
In my files I have her listed as the agent for Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" books and Jeanne DuPrau's "City of Ember" series. I don't know how current this is.

I queried her last July, and didn't hear anything. A "nudge" e-mail at the end of October got a very apologetic response the next day. It was still a rejection, but it was polite and personalized.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I didn't know she repped City of Ember series.

Juneluv - I received the exact rejection from her on a query last year, so I think it might be one of her form rejects. But thanks for sharing.

MarieSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a query yesterday and got a request for a partial this morning.

Did you ever hear back after sending your partial? I sent a query July 7 and got a request for a partial July 8? Anybody else waiting on a response?

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I sent a query a couple of days ago and got a request for a partial a few hours later. Good luck, MarieSheridan - she looks like a brilliant agent. Please post when something happens!

MarieSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query a couple of days ago and got a request for a partial a few hours later. Good luck, MarieSheridan - she looks like a brilliant agent. Please post when something happens!

I will let you know. Thanks for the encouragement. I am not expecting anything positive, but wouldn't that be wonderful? I have actually started scanning rejections for the word unfortunately. As soon as I see that...I know... Her email request for a partial was only one sentence.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried on 7/17/09 and received the following today from Ms. Gallt (same response as Juneluv12):

Thank you for this opportunity. Unfortunately, I am presently swamped with submissions and can't offer to read even one more. I am sorry and wish you success in finding an agent with more time to devote to your interests.

Sincerely,

Nancy Gallt

She butchered my name which made the rejection all the more compelling! :tongue

Good luck to everyone else!

jjacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmjacobs.com
I received that rejection from her about a year ago. Perhaps she's using this as her standard rejection letter but makes an exception when a query catches her eye?

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I guess she's not as swamped as she'd have us believe since she read a few and requested partials. :tongue Why can't she just say "this isn't for me"???

Too lazy to write another form rejection?:)

kidsauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy Gallt Literary Agency

Hello, I am a newly published childrens author. I queried Ms. Gallt today, 7/23/09, and she requested a full of all of my manuscripts. She seems to be a very nice and understanding agent. I hope it works out!

MarieSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know. Nancy's husband sadly passed away in May of this year. Please be kind and patient as she is trying to work her way through a very hard time.

GG thanks for sharing that.

QUESTION: It has been about 3 weeks since I sent Nancy my partial. Since then my manuscript has gone through a massive edit. (95,000 words to a much tighter 75,000) Nancy may take up to 3-4 months to respond to my partial. Would it be stupid to resubmit? A waste of time?

MarieSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
MarieSheridan,

That is a good question. I honestly don't think it would hurt your chances in any way. If she liked the old one better I think she'd tell you and say stick with the old one, but sending her the new one also indicates to her how serious you are. NG is a very small, but very busy agency, so having your partial this long is not a bad thing. I think the only thing you might lose sending your rewrite is the paper and the postage stamps. It's a tough call, but I hope it works out!!! I hope this helps a little! Keep us posted!

xoxo -- GG
GG-
Thanks for your opinion. I knew that the agency was basically a one woman show. That was part of the appeal for me actually. She requested the partial electronically so it won't cost me anything to resend. I am going to do it now before I change my mind!

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
She may be a one woman show but she sure is a major player...

Ms. Gallt specializes in children's books from board books through young adult, representing both authors and illustrators.
client list: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan, Seeker: Book One of the Noble Warriors by William Nicholson, The Melting Season by Celeste Conway, The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty G. Birney

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_ghf2px
http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/2009/04/agent-spotlight-nancy-gallt.html
http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=864
http://www.wordhustler.com/agents/4560/Nancy-Gallt-Literary-Agency.html
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3440882/Frankfurt-2008-Rights-Guide-�-Nancy-Gallt-Literary-Agency

Last edited:

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Just wanted to note that there's a new(ish) agent working under Nancy Gallt: Marietta Zacker. I didn't see her mentioned on this thread yet.

Here's some recent info about her:
http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/2009/06/agent-spotlight-marietta-b-zacker.html

She does children's and YA, is still building her list, and is probably more apt to ask for partials / fulls than Ms. Gallt right now.

I'm hoping to meet her next week at the SCBWI national conference!

MarieSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
FYI- got the big R just in time for my birthday. She responded to the partial I resent on 7/28 and I got the rejection 8/2. Wasn't in love with it....

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
Sorry to hear that, MarieSheridan. At least it was quick. I haven't heard back yet about the partial I sent mid-July but will post when I do. Happy birthday!! I hope it was filled with fun:)

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
The whole "I'm swamped..." deal has apparently been Nancy Gallt's form rejection letter for years.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I could dig up on Nancy Gallt written in April 2009:

What's the Buzz? Ms. Gallt certainly lacks an Internet presence but she is very legit, as evidenced by Predators & Editors and her track record. Her experience, focus on children's literature, and clientele list make her rather desirable in the kidlit community.

I'd wager she isn't taking on a lot of new clients, though she is actively requesting materials so she's obviously still looking. Response times on queries seem decent, though they fluctuate (as they are like to do) from days to a couple months. Response times on partials and fulls are much slower, often taking several months. There have been some cases of no-response but it seems a status-query usually elicits a kind response. If you get a rejection stating she's "swamped," that's her form rejection and has been for at least a couple years.

From the little I found, her clients seem very pleased with her. I also came across a report of a "fierce bidding war" and a six-figure deal for a debut children's author, which you can read about in this 2001 article: "Children's Fiction Stays Hot."

One writer was kind enough to share this information for our benefit:

"Be aware that while Nancy has some very big name clients on her list, she works alone in her agency and is very busy. I know of more than one client who left because of communication difficulties and/or their submissions not receiving the personal attention needed to secure sales. That said, Nancy is very personable and friendly, and while not editorial, has a good pulse on how to reach readers effectively."

WriterMorgan

Scribble, type, scribble, type.
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in since no one's really posted...she currently has my full, so just waiting to see what pans out :)