The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency (formerly Nancy Gallt L.A.)

practical experience, FTW sissybaby's Avatar

Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency (formerly Nancy Gallt L.A.)

I apologize if this post is redundant, but I have been searching and can find nothing for this agent.

I'd appreciate any help.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's her AQ page: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=875

No website or PM page; her last reported deal on PM was April '08 (Hyperion).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants Juneluv12's Avatar
    I queried her on March 12th, and she got back to me the next day with the following:

Thank you for this opportunity. Unfortunately, I am presently swamped with submissions and can't offer to read even one more. I am sorry and wish you success in finding an agent with more time to devote to your interests.

Now I know that some agents say this even when they are still taking clients, so it's a hit or miss I guess! I was just thankful to hear back since a lot of agents give you the silent treatment.

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    In my files I have her listed as the agent for Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" books and Jeanne DuPrau's "City of Ember" series. I don't know how current this is.

I queried her last July, and didn't hear anything. A "nudge" e-mail at the end of October got a very apologetic response the next day. It was still a rejection, but it was polite and personalized.

practical experience, FTW sissybaby's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I didn't know she repped City of Ember series.

Juneluv - I received the exact rejection from her on a query last year, so I think it might be one of her form rejects. But thanks for sharing.

Not your kid brother's YA Red.Ink.Rain's Avatar
    I sent her a query yesterday and got a request for a partial this morning.
    City of Shadows: The only thing worse than a defect who is allowed to live is a defect who dares to love.
    Strange and Beautiful: Magic never comes cheap.
    Seven: In Dead Horse, Colorado, his story repeats itself.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MarieSheridan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red.Ink.Rain View Post
    I sent her a query yesterday and got a request for a partial this morning.
    Did you ever hear back after sending your partial? I sent a query July 7 and got a request for a partial July 8? Anybody else waiting on a response?

practical experience, FTW trocadero's Avatar
    I sent a query a couple of days ago and got a request for a partial a few hours later. Good luck, MarieSheridan - she looks like a brilliant agent. Please post when something happens!

Quote Originally Posted by trocadero View Post
    I sent a query a couple of days ago and got a request for a partial a few hours later. Good luck, MarieSheridan - she looks like a brilliant agent. Please post when something happens!

I will let you know. Thanks for the encouragement. I am not expecting anything positive, but wouldn't that be wonderful? I have actually started scanning rejections for the word unfortunately. As soon as I see that...I know... Her email request for a partial was only one sentence.

Wielder of the Witchblade Rowan's Avatar
    I e-queried on 7/17/09 and received the following today from Ms. Gallt (same response as Juneluv12):

Thank you for this opportunity. Unfortunately, I am presently swamped with submissions and can't offer to read even one more. I am sorry and wish you success in finding an agent with more time to devote to your interests.

Sincerely,

Nancy Gallt

She butchered my name which made the rejection all the more compelling!

Good luck to everyone else!
    "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey." - Lord Byron

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

practical experience, FTW Laura Lond's Avatar
    I got the same rejection Rowan.

practical experience, FTW
    I received that rejection from her about a year ago. Perhaps she's using this as her standard rejection letter but makes an exception when a query catches her eye?

Wielder of the Witchblade Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lond View Post
    I got the same rejection Rowan.
    I guess she's not as swamped as she'd have us believe since she read a few and requested partials. Why can't she just say "this isn't for me"???
    "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey." - Lord Byron

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I guess she's not as swamped as she'd have us believe since she read a few and requested partials. Why can't she just say "this isn't for me"???

Too lazy to write another form rejection?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Nancy Gallt Literary Agency

Hello, I am a newly published childrens author. I queried Ms. Gallt today, 7/23/09, and she requested a full of all of my manuscripts. She seems to be a very nice and understanding agent. I hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinGirl View Post
    For those of you who don't know. Nancy's husband sadly passed away in May of this year. Please be kind and patient as she is trying to work her way through a very hard time.
    GG thanks for sharing that.

QUESTION: It has been about 3 weeks since I sent Nancy my partial. Since then my manuscript has gone through a massive edit. (95,000 words to a much tighter 75,000) Nancy may take up to 3-4 months to respond to my partial. Would it be stupid to resubmit? A waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinGirl View Post
    MarieSheridan,

That is a good question. I honestly don't think it would hurt your chances in any way. If she liked the old one better I think she'd tell you and say stick with the old one, but sending her the new one also indicates to her how serious you are. NG is a very small, but very busy agency, so having your partial this long is not a bad thing. I think the only thing you might lose sending your rewrite is the paper and the postage stamps. It's a tough call, but I hope it works out!!! I hope this helps a little! Keep us posted!

xoxo -- GG
    GG-
    Thanks for your opinion. I knew that the agency was basically a one woman show. That was part of the appeal for me actually. She requested the partial electronically so it won't cost me anything to resend. I am going to do it now before I change my mind!

She may be a one woman show but she sure is a major player...

Ms. Gallt specializes in children's books from board books through young adult, representing both authors and illustrators.
    client list: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan, Seeker: Book One of the Noble Warriors by William Nicholson, The Melting Season by Celeste Conway, The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty G. Birney

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_ghf2px
    http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/...ncy-gallt.html
    http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=864
    http://www.wordhustler.com/agents/45...ry-Agency.html
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3440882/...iterary-Agency
    Last edited by nicolesingslave; 08-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.

here's to the girl on the go Harper K's Avatar
    Just wanted to note that there's a new(ish) agent working under Nancy Gallt: Marietta Zacker. I didn't see her mentioned on this thread yet.

Here's some recent info about her:
    http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/...-b-zacker.html

She does children's and YA, is still building her list, and is probably more apt to ask for partials / fulls than Ms. Gallt right now.

I'm hoping to meet her next week at the SCBWI national conference!
    The Center of Gravity, redux (YA contemp), final final FINAL version!:
    62,000 / 65,000 words

FYI- got the big R just in time for my birthday. She responded to the partial I resent on 7/28 and I got the rejection 8/2. Wasn't in love with it....

Sorry to hear that, MarieSheridan. At least it was quick. I haven't heard back yet about the partial I sent mid-July but will post when I do. Happy birthday!! I hope it was filled with fun

figuring it all out
    The whole "I'm swamped..." deal has apparently been Nancy Gallt's form rejection letter for years.

figuring it all out
    Here's what I could dig up on Nancy Gallt written in April 2009:

What's the Buzz? Ms. Gallt certainly lacks an Internet presence but she is very legit, as evidenced by Predators & Editors and her track record. Her experience, focus on children's literature, and clientele list make her rather desirable in the kidlit community.

I'd wager she isn't taking on a lot of new clients, though she is actively requesting materials so she's obviously still looking. Response times on queries seem decent, though they fluctuate (as they are like to do) from days to a couple months. Response times on partials and fulls are much slower, often taking several months. There have been some cases of no-response but it seems a status-query usually elicits a kind response. If you get a rejection stating she's "swamped," that's her form rejection and has been for at least a couple years.

From the little I found, her clients seem very pleased with her. I also came across a report of a "fierce bidding war" and a six-figure deal for a debut children's author, which you can read about in this 2001 article: "Children's Fiction Stays Hot."

One writer was kind enough to share this information for our benefit:

"Be aware that while Nancy has some very big name clients on her list, she works alone in her agency and is very busy. I know of more than one client who left because of communication difficulties and/or their submissions not receiving the personal attention needed to secure sales. That said, Nancy is very personable and friendly, and while not editorial, has a good pulse on how to reach readers effectively."

Scribble, type, scribble, type.
    Just checking in since no one's really posted...she currently has my full, so just waiting to see what pans out

She has mine too, Morgan. I guess no news is not bad news. Good luck

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast