Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Another major novel revision came my way. One of my characters is a Filipino medical officer, sent to battle on December 26, 1941. The next day, his parents die from a Japanese air raid. By then he is already way way away in the jungles, overlooking wounded soldiers.

I want it so that he will not know of his parents' deaths until March 1942, when his relatives unexpectedly arrive at the field hospital he is working in.

My question is, how unlikely would this scenario be? The military not informing my character of his parents' deaths I mean? Is the scenario I mentioined believable or should I change it?

Appreciate your input :e2writer:

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
This is very believable as Bataan and Corregidor were both cut off from the rest of the country. MacArthur agreed to vacate Manila to save the civilians. It was called "open city" which meant the military cleared out of it offically by 12-26-41. Now, some soldiers and over a dozen navy nurses were left behind, but they went into internment camps. So, you can imagine the chaos of 12-27 when your character's parents died. The official military reporting mechanism was gone.

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much guys! Sorry took me a while to get back. Had a very long weekend =P But yeah, thanks much.

And Bay, you really did your research. Good luck with your WWII Novel as well!

Thanks again!