Do agents print out their requested materials to read?

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In the hopes that someone might be able to answer this. I thought I would ask it in the main forum.

I am just wondering whether agents print off the partial/fulls that they receive from authors via email (when requested), or whether agents read on the computer screen. Does anyone know the answer to this?

I've posted this as a question to Nathan as well. But maybe someone out there also has an answer?

I'm just wondering if sending a partial by email, somehow lessens the attention that an agent gives to it.

BTW: My question is aimed at the days before the Kindle.

Thanks alot,

Sophocles

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Sophocles, if I ask very nicely, may I please change your user name so it's not all in upper case?

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Sophocles, if I ask very nicely, may I please change your user name so it's not all in upper case?

Hi,

I was trying to figure out how to do that myself the other day. Yes please, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I read mine on the computer screen or on my e-reader. I personally never print them out.

All the agents that at my agency do the same, though a couple (not all) do request that FULLS (and requested FULLS only) be sent by paper as well.

I do not accept paper queries at all, and I do not want paper fulls unless there is some reason it has to be on paper (ie, for paper-engineering or other special illustration projects that are impossible to see properly on screen).

Obviously, though, other agents might have different preferences.

As to your last question - for me, of course e-queries get all the attention, as if a paper one comes I just throw it away! And some agencies ONLY accept paper - for them, obviously, they'd just delete an unrequested electronic submission. But for those agencies that do accept both paper and e-queries, I have no reason to believe that paper seems "better" or somehow more important.

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks alot! I had that question turning in my head for the last three weeks!

Happy Easter,

Sophocles

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I read mine on the computer screen or on my e-reader. I personally never print them out.
<snip>
Good ghod, I hope you aren't still at the office. There's dedication, and there's dedication. I swear I'm going to start pointing out to people, "that nice Jennifer Laughran? After her brutal day at work, then going home to her life? Before she can rest, she logs on to AW to answer people's questions. So be nice to her, dammit!"

Last edited: