AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Margret McBride Literary Agency

Margret McBride Literary Agency

I don't see a thread about this agency.....does anyone know anything about them? There is a webpage and all seems fine....just wondered if anyone had ever actually dealt with them?

Thanks!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Here's what I discovered through Google.
    Margret McBride Literary Agency: $ AAR A literary agency
    http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm
    An interesting piece of news that made my lips go "O" :-O
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20355534/
    "Mike Huckabee, who has written five books, made $148,750 in book royalties from Margaret McBride Literary Agency last year."

As for queries & submissions...
    http://www.mcbrideliterary.com/contacting_us.htm
    "Please send all queries via U.S. mail to the attention of Michael Daley. Our office does not accept queries through e-mail. As a precaution, we only open e-mail from current and past clients."
    Last edited by nicolesingslave; 10-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.

new author

Unhappy magret mcbride lit agency

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianGoddess View Post
    I don't see a thread about this agency.....does anyone know anything about them? There is a webpage and all seems fine....just wondered if anyone had ever actually dealt with them?

Thanks!
    I sent an e-mail query to Mike Daley in August and got a quick no a day later. Looks legit though.

Quote Originally Posted by charlys View Post
    I sent an e-mail query to Mike Daley in August and got a quick no a day later. Looks legit though.
    Hi Charlys, how did you equery? Did you use the email on the website? They say they want snail mail, and they open email only from clients.... I sent a snail mail query months ago, but never got my SASE back. Has anybody heard back from them lately?

OK, follow up, two days later, in case it happens to somebody else: I used the email on the website to inquire about my snail mail query and they told me they had no record of it and they invited me to re-submit.
    Last edited by sciri; 12-19-2009 at 07:54 PM.

McBride Agency

Yes, I have dealt with them and I really feel they are on the up and up.
    They don't mention payment and are brutally honest if you don't follow guidelines or send a bomb for them to read over.
    No, I'm not successful yet, but am still plugging away at it.
    Manuscripts must be snail mailed if I remember correctly, but I have contacted them by e-mail numerous times and always receive a reply.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Submission page now states:
    "We are only accepting new clients by referral at this time."
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW MarlynnOfMany's Avatar
    Anyone have recent updates to share? It looks like they're open to queries (though Querytracker seems to think they're still closed). The first line on the submissions page is "Our Agency welcomes the opportunity to review your book ideas, and encourages you to submit a query letter to us via email (staff@mcbridelit.com) or snail-mail. "

I'm hoping to query Faye Atchison, the assistant agent, though I haven't found much about her. I know she's interested in SSF!

(^ Surely you need some magic, memory problems, and broomfighting in your life!)
    Website * Tumblr * Twitter * Facebook

They asked for 50 pages back in February and turned me down about 6 weeks later. I aimed my query at Ms. McBride, but I don't know who actually read the pages. My ms is a quirky thriller. I hope this helps.

Well, I think I'll just send the query despite the lack of info on Faye. If she actually expresses interest, I'll ask some of those Professional Questions like "What have you sold?"

I don't really expect a response, since the looong list of client books on the agency website is full of nonfiction, and it sounds like Faye has other duties as well (assistant and all that). But hey, it's worth a shot.

(^ Surely you need some magic, memory problems, and broomfighting in your life!)

figuring it all out quianaa2001's Avatar
    Hey MarlynnOfMany let us know what happens

Form rejection today. Oh well. At least it's a polite one.