Why Cracked Should Run the Country

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Based on that article, they'd do a much better job than FedGov has been doing. Actually, that's a good technique to use on almost anything government does. The Law of Unintended Consequences (LUC) is the one truth politicians don't want you to know, and in some respects the basis of Austrian economics.

Their article 5 Ways Common Sense Lies to You Everyday explains some of the reasons people get smacked by the LUC.

Srsly, Zoombie, how can you intuitively grasp the truth of the LUC on the one hand, and on the other insist that if only the right people did the right things (and Dorothy clicked her ruby slippers), government would actually function the way the politicians claim it does? The LUC proves otherwise.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Srsly, Zoombie, how can you intuitively grasp the truth of the LUC on the one hand, and on the other insist that if only the right people did the right things (and Dorothy clicked her ruby slippers), government would actually function the way the politicians claim it does? The LUC proves otherwise.

By that logic one should just give up. Nothing you want to do will work out anyway, why bother, right? Except I've done things that people have said were impossible, and they worked out just fine. I'm disappointed in this fatalistic attitude our yours, Don.

flamyngo

strangely reticent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.totallythebomb.com
Funny and off topic:

I took my 4 year old to the doc earlier this week for ear infections, and the soc said "Don't be alarmed, this antibiotic will turn her poop bright red."

My daughter's response? She cried and yelled at the doctor, "I don't want magical red poopy!"

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
By that logic one should just give up. Nothing you want to do will work out anyway, why bother, right? Except I've done things that people have said were impossible, and they worked out just fine. I'm disappointed in this fatalistic attitude our yours, Don.

What Diana said.

But, ya know...with jokes and explosions and shit.
Nobody said give up. The LUC is the pragmatic reason to argue for reducing the size of government where ever possible, and against giving government any more assignments(can you say healthcare?).

I wasn't addressing individual actions at all. Individual actions have primarily localized impacts and are much more predictable than massive government programs that are supposed to fix some core societal problem.

I thought it was obvious where I was heading with that. My bad.