Protestant and Catholic difference

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Again, I am thinking that you may be misreading pdrs remark about religious wars -

pdr said, "No wonder, is it, that we have religious wars?" in reference to this thread. According to you, what did I misread about this religious wars comment?

as for the forums here, I don't think anyone is expected to agree necessary on every point, that wasn't the purpose of the thread, and I think we need to remember that we can't see the other people, and that sometimes the tone of a post may be read wrong, and it is very unlikely that anyone is attempting to be anything but pleasant.

I don't read into tone unless there are silly little comments, smilies, snickers, "LOL" etc. But I will correct those who misrepresent Catholicism with untruths and who claim that Protestantism was founded on solid grounds. If my correcting sounds harsh, then so be it.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
pdr said, "No wonder, is it, that we have religious wars?" in reference to this thread. According to you, what did I misread about this religious wars comment?

I don't read into tone unless there are silly little comments, smilies, snickers, "LOL" etc. But I will correct those who misrepresent Catholicism with untruths and who claim that Protestantism was founded on solid grounds. If my correcting sounds harsh, then so be it.

What I was trying to say is that this thread wasn't put here for a debate about religion - there is another forum for that, but moreso for others to post what they believe is their religion or faith in regards to the topic question. There is a slight difference, and pdr commented on a post that you stated you knew what another religion beliefs were.

The original topic is Protestant and Catholic difference and if we go back to my question posted under that topic, regardless of how much we think the other may think, clearly the reason for my post wasn't to debate religious differences but state what is the difference bases on individual beliefs.

I sincerely believe that if you need to correct what others beliefs are, or those who have spoken what they believe are our beliefs in the context of this topic post, then you have come to the wrong place. This thread is not for anyone trying to prove anyone wrong, but merely an attempt to gain an understanding of what others faith means to them and their perception of Catholics and Protestants are (if they are one of those religions - although others are welcome to join in the conversation). If you care not for other religous beliefs than there are other threads on AW you to debate those beliefs.

I did not start this thread to prove anyone wrong but merely to hear what they had to say for the purpose of gaining an understanding of different beliefs, but not for the purpose of attemtping to prove them wrong, or chage their faith.

As for attemtping to correct those who have misrepresent Catholicism or those who claim Protestansism is based on solid ground, that is NOT what this post is about. Lets remember what the original question asked.

What is the difference between Protestents and Catholics? - and the only way that question can truly be answered is to hear it from both parties alone.

ETA: My feelings are that if you want to debate the differnces between religion and why you think they are misinterpeted then PM a mod and ask them the best place to do so because I can't find the forum at this hour - I generally don't like debates because they take up too much energy. I just had a quick look and seem to have gotten lost but the mods will most certainly show you the spot.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering when this turmoil started as my story is starting prior to this date but it it does tie into the building of my Catholic church

My understanding is that it was longstanding, going back deep into the 18th century.
It might also make a bit of difference which bit of Scotland the stepfather came from. Presbyterianism was particularly strong in the south-west of Scotland

Last edited:

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there is another thread for debating religion but frankly I am a little dumbfounded about someone who wants to find factual (I assume?) information for a manuscript and who posts the question on an Internet forum. Especially when they have access to the information through their parish priest or library. If you want your manuscript to be taken seriously, don't you want to be completely accurate?

Your question has already brought up false information about The Holy Virgin Mary and why Catholics pray to her. It has sparked an error about the founding of Protestanism, as well as a false idea of 'the only differences' because the differences are endless. You might want to get your research from a more reliable source.

In addition, there is a difference between belief and facts, between opinion and facts. People can have their own opinions until the cows come home but it won't change facts.

This thread is not for anyone trying to prove anyone wrong, but merely an attempt to gain an understanding of what others faith means to them and their perception of Catholics and Protestants are

You see? You used the word "perception." People's perception has zero to do with historical facts.

Your question was What is the difference between Protestents and Catholics? - If you want to write an accurate novel and be taken seriously about its contents, then you ought to research in the right places.

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
And did you know that Protestantism was founded by Luther on the very belief that you can "sin and sin boldly" and still go to Heaven? I can give you the historical reference if you like.

I'm not quite sure why you think that this statement reflects so badly Luther; it's not a particularly great leap to it from what Christ says in Luke 23:43. But, more to the point, it's a passage which is open to a great deal of interpretation as to what Luther meant, and with regard to what the OP was looking for, namely sources of conflict between Catholic and Protestant, it seems to me that one of the biggest sources of conflict is going to stem from what members of one group have been taught to believe the other side believes, whether they do in fact believe it or not. So if, for example, the Protestant has been taught that Catholic priests, in circumstances where it's a choice between mother and child dying in childbirth, insist that the child must always be saved at the mother's expense, then that may well cause conflict even if this is not in fact an accurate summary of what Catholic teaching is on the point.

Deleted member 42

Yes, the difference is that Catholics adhere to the orginal version of the scriptures.

This is

A: Hostile, anti-protestant, and not helpful.

B: Historically inaccurate--speaking as a textual scholar, there is no "original version."

C: This is not the place for this kind of hostility. Cut it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Luther talked to Satan and wanted to end with the Mass, the Holy Eucharist, and the papacy. The abuse of indulgences of those times were merely an open door to Luther's evil.

o.0

This is what you're calling "historical fact" and the "foundation" of Protestantism? That's some of the most insulting garbage I've ever heard anyone spew on this board.

Get off this thread, Marina.

You have the oddest and most eccentric beliefs of anyone I've ever met not actually wearing a tin-foil beanie -- and I'm not inclined to go on providing a platform for you to spout this sort of insulting nonsense.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, not a place to make attacks on other people's equally dearly held (or is that, evil?) beliefs. Religious bigotry makes me sick to my stomach.

The differences between Catholicism and Protestantism are indeed huge. Cooee has every right to post here and find a starting point for taking her research.

it seems to me that one of the biggest sources of conflict is going to stem from what members of one group have been taught to believe the other side believes, whether they do in fact believe it or not. So if, for example, the Protestant has been taught that Catholic priests, in circumstances where it's a choice between mother and child dying in childbirth, insist that the child must always be saved at the mother's expense, then that may well cause conflict even if this is not in fact an accurate summary of what Catholic teaching is on the point.

I reckon you might be onto something Sirius. The only thing I'm thinking is that surely the couple will talk, discuss their beliefs. But will they both listen?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, at least the thread has shown that there really is a potential source of conflict between Protestants and Catholics! ;)

And the fact that the differences in religion would be enough to spark whatever conflict Coeed would like to have.

BTW, Marina Snow, I happen to think this is a great place to get information. If you don't, feel free not to post or visit.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Cooeedownunder, you might try asking this (or similar) questions in the Christian forum. They have a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable contributors and the discussions are very carefully and sensitively modded so that this sort of mudslinging doesn't happen.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, there is another thread for debating religion but frankly I am a little dumbfounded about someone who wants to find factual (I assume?) information for a manuscript and who posts the question on an Internet forum. Especially when they have access to the information through their parish priest or library. If you want your manuscript to be taken seriously, don't you want to be completely accurate?

Your question has already brought up false information about The Holy Virgin Mary and why Catholics pray to her. It has sparked an error about the founding of Protestanism, as well as a false idea of 'the only differences' because the differences are endless. You might want to get your research from a more reliable source.

In addition, there is a difference between belief and facts, between opinion and facts. People can have their own opinions until the cows come home but it won't change facts.

You see? You used the word "perception." People's perception has zero to do with historical facts.

Your question was What is the difference between Protestents and Catholics? - If you want to write an accurate novel and be taken seriously about its contents, then you ought to research in the right places.

Marina,

I posted the question here because I was looking for a sounding board and I find AW an excellent place to generate ideas and the diversity in the members invaluable.

I am a Catholic and I don't have all the same beliefs as other Catholics - all Protestents don't have the same beliefs as each and we all have various degrees of faith. My charachters are very likely to be the same and may not necessarily know the complete role the church has had in history or politics.

I know why I pray to to who I do regardless if it is Mary or the Lord directly - but I am very curious what others think - their perceptions do not have to be acurate but their opionion. For centuries people acted without knowing or understanding each other, that to me is a little more acurate than having my charachters understand each othe fully.

I just need to understand.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not quite sure why you think that this statement reflects so badly Luther; it's not a particularly great leap to it from what Christ says in Luke 23:43. But, more to the point, it's a passage which is open to a great deal of interpretation as to what Luther meant, and with regard to what the OP was looking for, namely sources of conflict between Catholic and Protestant, it seems to me that one of the biggest sources of conflict is going to stem from what members of one group have been taught to believe the other side believes, whether they do in fact believe it or not. So if, for example, the Protestant has been taught that Catholic priests, in circumstances where it's a choice between mother and child dying in childbirth, insist that the child must always be saved at the mother's expense, then that may well cause conflict even if this is not in fact an accurate summary of what Catholic teaching is on the point.

Yes, this is what I feel, especially after this conversation.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cooeedownunder, you might try asking this (or similar) questions in the Christian forum. They have a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable contributors and the discussions are very carefully and sensitively modded so that this sort of mudslinging doesn't happen.

Thank you for that :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I think...

you've seen more than enough, cooee, to understand that the differing forms of Christianity are due to interpretation.

The major official difference between Catholics, Anglicans and Presbyterians/Methodists/Baptists is the communion service. For Catholics the wine and wafer/bread become the body and blood. For Anglicans they are a spiritual representation bringing Christ's presence to the communion, and for Presbyterians/Methodists/Baptists et al the communion service is a simple memorial service.

Who is correct? It depends upon interpretation.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I have been trying to find something that would cause internal conflict between my charachters based on their beliefs, but all in all they seem extremly similar. I have been trying to work out a way that their Religious beliefs would keep them apart.
H-m-m, this train has gone off the track somewhat. I tend to look for something dramatic to create rifts. One thing that occurred to me was an experience by your Catholic of stigmata (although more reported among women than men, the first documented case was from a man) If he shows her he has received the bodily marks of the crucifixion or feels excruciating pain in the location of Christ's wounds, his Protestant lady would likely be quite horrified. It would seem scary and supernatural and if it got around the town could cause quite a lot of havoc. The Catholics would support the young man and the Protestants would warn the young woman away from him.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
you've seen more than enough, cooee, to understand that the differing forms of Christianity are due to interpretation.

The major official difference between Catholics, Anglicans and Presbyterians/Methodists/Baptists is the communion service. For Catholics the wine and wafer/bread become the body and blood. For Anglicans they are a spiritual representation bringing Christ's presence to the communion, and for Presbyterians/Methodists/Baptists et al the communion service is a simple memorial service.

Who is correct? It depends upon interpretation.

Yes, I read a document yesterday from an 1800s lecture which was about these differences and how we interpet the Bible differently. I found it excellent and the site itself has some useful oroginal or transcribe documents and information also related to Anglican religion around the word including Australia

http://anglicanhistory.org/neale/prots.html

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
H-m-m, this train has gone off the track somewhat. I tend to look for something dramatic to create rifts. One thing that occurred to me was an experience by your Catholic of stigmata (although more reported among women than men, the first documented case was from a man) If he shows her he has received the bodily marks of the crucifixion or feels excruciating pain in the location of Christ's wounds, his Protestant lady would likely be quite horrified. It would seem scary and supernatural and if it got around the town could cause quite a lot of havoc. The Catholics would support the young man and the Protestants would warn the young woman away from him.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

After being supplied much useful information I now need to determine how far to delve into this.