• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lindsey's Literary Services (Emily Armenta, Bonnie James)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings --
I've read on P&E that this agent/agency is "not recommended" -- can anybody provide me with details on why this is the case?
Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If Dave doesn't drop by to answer your question, you could email him and ask. :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
smallthunder said:
Greetings --
I've read on P&E that this agent/agency is "not recommended" -- can anybody provide me with details on why this is the case?
Thanks.
Lindsey's Literary Services refers writers to an editing service run by Kay Garrett. It also shares an address and fax number with Durban House, a publisher that has offered contracts requiring authors to pay $25,000. Durban House is run by Richard Lewis, husband of Karen Lewis, who runs Karen Lewis & Co., a literary agency that places books with Durban House and refers authors to a paid editing service run by...Kay Garrett. Can you say "multiple conflicts of interest"?

- Victoria

Lydia Manx

Registered
Reaction score
*Figures*

I was happy to get a request for my first three chapters, synopsis and something about me last night. I did my usual "What's wrong with this picture" and came here to see what was wrong. Now how do I politely word a reply that I have no desire to pay them?

*back to the grind*

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps wait and see if they approach you for the editing for a fee and then say thanks but no thanks...and that you'll keep looking for an agent that doesn't charge.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I presume that along with the multiple conflicts of interest, Bonnie has a minimal track record of legitimate sales?

Try this for a letter:

Thank you for your interest. I have decided to continue my search for representation.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
I presume that along with the multiple conflicts of interest, Bonnie has a minimal track record of legitimate sales?
I've confirmed that all the "sales" the agency cites are to Durban House (a vanity publisher), though they use different publisher names.

- Victoria

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Lydia Manx said:
I was happy to get a request for my first three chapters, synopsis and something about me last night. I did my usual "What's wrong with this picture" and came here to see what was wrong. Now how do I politely word a reply that I have no desire to pay them?
Why tell them? Why be polite? Write back with more questions. Be creative. See what they say. Save it up and post it all here when you're done.

dr. fell

Lindsey's can't spell

i got a reply from Lindseys 14 months after I submitted a letter of inquiry. I was requested to provide the first 3 chapters along with a bio but the header to the letter I received read:
Lindsey's Leterary Services

They can't even spell! I'd rather let a blind person walk me across the street.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Lindsey's Literary Services refers writers to an editing service run by Kay Garrett. It also shares an address and fax number with Durban House, a publisher that has offered contracts requiring authors to pay $25,000.
Well, lookee thar: that address is one o' them "virtual office" services: http://www.abttx.com/WalnutGreen.html

In any case, I'm not finding much to indicate "Lindsey's Literary" is still in business.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ach, a girl can hope! Was the "agent" Bonnie James or Emily Armenta?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Their corporate license has expired. Any evidence they're still in business?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FYI/FTR ... a new listing for Bonnie James in the most recent ['16] Jeff Herman's Guide (same email, diff. address). No trace of "Bonedges" anywhere else, yet.

ETA: more FTR, a page from the '14 guide re: Bonedges agent creds. No further trace of any party.

Last edited: