Help, I'm freaking out! In a good way!

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Hi, I registered here about a week ago so I could get access to some of the private threads so I could absorb some of your sage advice about queries and agents. I figured I would never actually post, as you have already answered all my questions and I myself am not smart enough to be giving brilliant people such as yourselves advice.

I finished my novel, the first thing I thought was worthy of actually trying to get published, and last week I sent off queries to five brilliant, famous, talented agents repping incredible, amazing, superb books, figuring I'd get three rejection letters and two no answers at all after about six months, the first of hundreds of such disappointments...

So today I looked in my mailbox, and there's my SASE, and one of my top five agent choices wants my full manuscript! I'm going crazy, because now I have to (a) print it all out and (b) mail it. I thought I would figure this part out if and when an agent actually wanted to see the book (you know, after the hundredth form rejection letter and tenth request for a partial), but now I'm too stupid to think straight. In a good way, mind you.

Please, help me calm down! I'm literally bouncing off my walls. No really, I'm running into walls and bouncing.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
Congrats to you!

Now you have to chill out and collect yourself. Check your MS to make sure everything is perfect (formatting and whatnot). Then, just print it out and send it off.

I can only hope that I get that lucky.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm calming down a little. I wasn't really expecting things to work out and actually get me published, and now I'm trying not to be overconfident. But I am so happy!

I haven't ever actually printed the whole thing out...it's long. I don't think my inkjet printer will get through it all, so I'll probably have to take it somewhere.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, how cool is that! We're happy in your behalf, in case you can't handle it all.

Maryn, trying not to be too jealous

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
That's terrific, Christine! You did all the right things. You read up about writing, you lurked here :), you polished your work, you wrote an amazing query.... All the key ingredients to success.

When you're calmer, reread your ms. out loud, then print it up and send it out.

Congratulations!

Jana K White

Lost in space... and meaning
Registered
Reaction score
Illinois, but then again, I never know WHERE I am.
Website
thatwhichisnt.blogspot.com
Wow!!! First, welcome to the boards!!!! Second, woohoo! Congratulations on the MS request!!!!! *hugs* Take three deep breaths, close you eyes, and try to relax for one second. OK, time's up! Now get out there and do something nice for yourself, you have earned it!!! And if you want to smile 'til your face aches, you go right ahead!!!!!! We'll smile along with you!!!!!!!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: and congrats!!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Only good thoughts folowing your way. Best wishes.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's already formatted, right?

Decent paper, new ink cartridge (or laser printer even better - a local print shop should charge you about 7 cents/page. 10 cents on a nice bond), manuscript box, correct postage.

Deep breaths. :) Many deep breaths. And congratulations.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine...

That is awesome. Congratulations! I think it is understandable to bounce off a few walls. This is very exciting news. :) As Mac said, many deep breaths.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes with the agent. And, welcome to AW. :)

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, you guys are all so sweet! :) I'm trying not to be too thrilled, there's still obviously a chance the agent will hate it. :D

Yes, it's formatted, Courier 12, one inch margins, all that good stuff. It's also long. I know it's not supposed to be long, but it is what it is. Which is long. I can print it on industrial laser printers (at the local university) for less than 6 cents a page, but I'll have to drive there and watch it myself.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: and congrats

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW and big congrats on the full request, Christine!