Protestant marriages

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I am trying to find out what day of the week, if a particular day, Protestants would get married in the early 1820s. When I search google I come up with some links that lead to information about bairds or baid marrages and also marriages that required a lisence.

My charachters are both English and it would need to be a marrage where a liscense was required.

Last edited:

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
Is this in England and Wales or elsewhere?

What type of Protestant are they? If they are anything other than Church of England/Church of Wales in the 1820s there may be additional requirements/limitations on who may perform the marriage and where it may be performed but in general within the Church of England marriage could only at this date be performed within the canonical hours (8am-12pm, raised to 3pm later in the century) and I believe there were restrictions on performing weddings in Lent. Later in the century (1867) a survey carried out in Manchester, England, showed weddings spread evenly over all seven days of the week but with very few taking place on Friday, probably for superstitious reasons.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Is this in England and Wales or elsewhere?

What type of Protestant are they? If they are anything other than Church of England/Church of Wales in the 1820s there may be additional requirements/limitations on who may perform the marriage and where it may be performed but in general within the Church of England marriage could only at this date be performed within the canonical hours (8am-12pm, raised to 3pm later in the century) and I believe there were restrictions on performing weddings in Lent. Later in the century (1867) a survey carried out in Manchester, England, showed weddings spread evenly over all seven days of the week but with very few taking place on Friday, probably for superstitious reasons.

I think you have answered my question - thank you. They are both Church of England and English born - but the wedding is actually meant to happen in Australia - the wedding does not happen as one member does not turn up, but because of the law in Australia at that time regarding Sunday or the Sabbath, I need to be clear in my timeline of what day it was meant to be, and move the day if possible from the Saturday I originally had, and now it also appears from the Friday.

Thank you.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unsure about the day of the week, but it is important whether or not they're titled.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I think you have answered my question - thank you. They are both Church of England and English born - but the wedding is actually meant to happen in Australia - the wedding does not happen as one member does not turn up, but because of the law in Australia at that time regarding Sunday or the Sabbath, I need to be clear in my timeline of what day it was meant to be, and move the day if possible from the Saturday I originally had, and now it also appears from the Friday.

Thank you.

Only if they're superstitious; Sirius said very few took place on Fridays (probably for superstitious reasons), but that doesn't mean that your characters' wedding can't take place on a Friday.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I'm unsure about the day of the week, but it is important whether or not they're titled.

Why?

It certainly doesn't make any difference under English law that I can think of. A few years ago, when Prince Edward was getting married, they had to move the planned time of the wedding to comply with the law that states you can't get married after 6pm. If even the royal family are subject to the same law, why would it be different for peers?