Recommend some good mystery writers/books...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's been ages since I've read anything remotely mystery. I know that when I was a kid I really liked the Hardy Boys books and read them like they were going out of style. :tongue

So, I'd like some good [adult] mystery writers/books recommendations.

Anybody have some good ones to recommend?

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (If you're blessed with the ability to read Italian Il Noma Della Rosa). It is, in short a mystery novel set in a wealthy Italian abbey in 1327. However, like all great genre literatue, it transcends it's boundaries and just becomes great fiction. The blurb describes it better than I can:

"When William's theological mission is overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, the monk turns detective. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts and digs into the eeire labyrinth of the abbey."

I'll admit, this book is very dry. Great long passages are devoted to describing the Tympanum of a Church, there is a 30 page debate into the nature of Christs poverty, that, although life and death to monks in 1327 seems alien and baffling to us now. When I read it, I knew a fair deal about medieval history, but still great swathes of it passed me by. I let it wash over me, setting the scene. For a moment I thought I was back there, and that's what great fiction does.

Also the murders are pretty gruesome and there's a good twist at the end.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with The Name of the Rose, though it's not the easiest of reads. Great book though, worth a go.

Others I'd recommend without hesitation:

The Travis McGee novels of John D. MacDonald
The Nero Wolfe novels of Rex Stout
The early southwestern mysteries of Tony Hillerman (he fell off in quality rather badly in his later ones, IMO)
Anything by James M. Cain, Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler

And I'd avoid Ross MacDonald (no relation to John D.) like Ebola, unless you really enjoy reading over-written prose loaded with metaphors strained to the point of unintentional Monty Pythonesque silliness.

caw

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Do you prefer cozy mysteries (Hardy Boys or Agatha Christie--the amateur sleuths) or more police procedurals? I can think of a TON of them, set in different eras.

If you want some 40s noir, try Walter Mosely
Sue Grafton writes modern day PI stories
Lori Avocato has a cute modern insurance fraud amateur sleuth series
Tori Carrington is on her third book about a Greek Brooklyn female detective
If you like the spooky, try Yasmine Galenorn's paranormal mysteries

Lots and lots of authors out there, and I love them all! :D

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I need to double Blacbirds recommendations -- I was about to write the identical post.

Except for dissing Ross MacDonald -- I rather like him, and his rather grim themes of how the past inevitably resurfaces to entwine with the present and destroy everyone involved. You didn't like The Underground Man?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
There's so many different flavors of mystery!

I'm a huge Chandler fan, esp. Lady in the Lake. Also love love love Robert Fate's 'Baby Shark' books.

But, it's hard to recommend a "good" mystery because of differences in tastes. Some people love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, I... um, don't. I thought Paretsky was okay, but not great. Christa Faust was good, though, with Money Shot.

Sherlock Holmes is always a staple of mystery reading-- though I thought Mr. Holmes was a bit of a jerk. =) I never did get anywhere with Agatha Christie.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you like historical mysteries, I can highly recommend Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series. It's set in the 1800's New Orleans and Ben is a freed slave in a culture where he could misstep and find himself back there--and yet he's got to fight the white power structures to bring murderers to justice. Hambly doesn't shirk from the tensions of the period or from bringing a really good mystery to bear.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo most of Blacbird's recs and disses. I also like Robert Parker's Spenser series (but not his other mystery series), the first five or so Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell were good, as were the two mysteries she wrote about other characters. I like Kathy Reichs (her books were the inspiration for the TV series Bones). Stuart Woods has several intertwined series (characters cross over) and they are all good. If you want more 'cozy' type mysteries check out 'The Cat Who...' series by Lilian Jackson Braun and the horse racing themed mysteries (almost all stand-alones) by Dick Francis.

MM

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
More thriller-type mysteries are C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series, the first being Open Season. I'm exhausted after I read his books!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There's another MacDonald (Philip), a Brit who wrote some excellent stuff in the first half of the 20th Century, notably The List of Adrian Messenger and The Rasp.

On the other hand there's the famous American Mary Roberts Rinehart, second only to Agatha Christie among the female cozy writers, and the absolute queen of Deus ex Machina endings. I gave her three infuriating strikes before deciding never to touch another of her novels.

caw

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading my way through M.M. Kaye's vintage mysteries mostly set in the 50's and 60's. Each has an exotic locale: Death in Kenya, Death in Zanzibar, Death in Kashmir, Death in the Andemans, etc...

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
If police procedurals are your cup of tea, I like the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. Right now I'm reading James L. Burke's series with Dave Robicheaux as the main character. There are something like 16 books in the series, or something like that, but they don't necessarily have to be read in order.

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm re-reading the Richard Jury novels by Martha Grimes. They're definitely part of the 'cozy' subgenre and are almost all named after British pubs and are full of wacky characters. I also really enjoy Sharyn McCrumb - the Ballad series rather than the Elizabeth MacPherson series. Lots of Appalachian folklore.