• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Colosseum Management (Maria Simonsen)

ironmike

Registered
Reaction score
After reviewing my script Colosseum Management (Maria Simonsen) have offered me representation. I checked them out on IMDb and they represent eight writers....but they are in Denmark. Any advice?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
A good way to tell if they're worth going with is to see how well their other clients have done. Have they sold other scripts? If the answer is no you may want to re-think them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Do you speak Danish? I'd be a bit wary of hooking up with an agency whose website I couldn't read.

Most agents sell first in their own domestic markets, and look to overseas markets later. So if your goal is to sell your script to a US or UK film company, a Danish agency might not be the best choice.

- Victoria

Bismark

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, just got a contract from these guys. (which is how i found this forum, actually) Not really sure what to do. I can't find anything about any successes they've had and it looks like most of their pool of talent is right out of Denmark, too. I don't want to automatically dismiss them because they seem new, which only means "untested," but I'm really apprehensive. But, this is my first real nibble of any kind so I'm also being led by my thirst for validation.

I emailed her back asking for more info about them, past successes, things like that, so I'll let you know what I find out. What did you end up doing, ironmike?

rowinkle

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the third one on this thread then that Maria Simonsen offered to represent. Being as how I'm in Maryland and she's in Denmark, it's been really hard to find any solid info on her. Have you guys found anything more out yet? She actually made it as far as sending me the contract, but that was about a month ago and I haven't heard from her since.

So what did you guys end up doing and what's the 411 on this Colosseum Management?

keyholekey

Registered
Reaction score
4th writer, same question

Hi, I found this thread doing a google search for Colosseum Management since Maria Simonsen
 read my script, emailed me and wants to represent me, so I'm trying to learn what there is to know about them. Others have been asking for info on this company here, but there's not much to find. Does anybody have any info about them? Has anybody here signed a contract with them?

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Victoria and ask: which production companies has she dealt with? Only Danish? Or has she sold to other European ones?

Greg

Registered
Reaction score
Writer Number 5

Just got an email from Maria stating that she and her team would like to represent my project. What are the chances that 5 (and probably way more) new writers (here I assume none of you have representation) are finally receiving the representation which we so richly deserve?
I emailed her back and will be very interested to see what the contract contains.

ringrussotct

Registered
Reaction score
Colosseum Management (Maria Simonsen)

Here has been my experience with them: Like you, I got an email from Maria wanting to rep my script. When the contract came on April 21st, naturally I had a few questions about it. I NEVER got an answer to any of my questions. I have not heard from Maria since I started asking questions about the contract or other people she repped. (Today is June 22nd...still heard nothing from her.)

I've talked to two other people with pretty much the same experience. It's a pretty awful way to do business, to not respond to an email regarding contract questions.

josephdluna

Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of those who got this offer. Now that I've seen how wide they are casting their nets, I'm afraid I'm going to have to swim away from this. I'm sure you are all excellent writers, but it seems fishy that we are all getting these representation offers.

It sucks to throw this one back, but, well, I'm all out of ichthyological metaphors for now.

If anyone feels differently, I'd love to hear why I should give Colosseum Management a chance.

Thanks!

Greg

Registered
Reaction score
I must say that I don't think I'm going to wait for the contract before deciding not to go with Colosseum. I assume they're signing up as many writers as they can in the hope that the writer might somehow snag their own sale and then they can receive their 10% for doing probably nothing much at all. I'd love to know how many others have received this offer.

Greg

Registered
Reaction score
Finally received contract from Colosseum Management which is pretty much as I expected. They wanted the exclusive rights to the screenplay which means if I ever sold it myself that they were entitled to 10%. I can only imagine that they weren't going to do much work on their part as I've had a look at their list of clients, or should I say, lack thereof. My advice. Steer clear. How could a company in Denmark with very little credentials possibly help you in the USA, UK or Australian markets? Answer: They couldn't.

TylerJones

Unashamed comic book nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a page out of PublishAmerica's playbook.

CJDomain

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to accept the contract from Colosseum Management. After some research I discovered that Colosseum is co-owned by Maria Simonsen and Casper Lundbak, both from Denmark. Casper Lundbak also owns his own production company by the same name. CL Productions has only one title to his credit, which is filming as we speak. The movie is being filmed in California in coordination with two other American production companies to be released world wide. The film does not have any big time actors, but like all of us, you have to start at the bottom. The screenwriter of the film is represented by Colosseum Management. I will keep you all posted of the progress, but you have to remember you have to start somewhere just like Colosseum Management. After tons of research, the odds of a new unproduced screenwriter selling his own script without representation is slim to none unless you have a rare gem of a script. I'm willing to take a one year risk.

vigilante

A Spanish water cooler
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I´ve also been in contact with her.
I would like you CJ to let me know if she did finally send you the contract and any development.

I have 4 scripts up to now and most of them are more european-minded so I dont mind to work with her if she´s got contact with Euro fund$- this seems to be also the way she works.

If you in US of course the thing is different.

vigilante

A Spanish water cooler
Registered
Reaction score
Hew....
She forgot to pay the phone. :-(