Networking

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy mentioned this in another thread, and I've searched the stickies, but haven't found much...

So, how do you do it? (and I know we won't get 3 posts into this w/o that 't' word being mentioned. ;) I'm trying so hard to sign up, but...I fear it's a losing struggle).

I read in someone's writing blog the other day the importance of always having business cards on hand.

What else?

Thanks!

cllorentson

Lover of all things Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordnerd.wordpress.com
Me, personally...

I just start small. I set up a Facebook page...and Facebook practically grows itself. I visit discussion boards that are on topics I'm truly interested in, and leave comments when I feel they would actually contribute to the discussion.

For instance, a board that I've been following for years is the Surlalune Fairy Tale Discussion Board. It was a topic I was really interested in, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of my own personal writing heroes, like Jane Yolen, frequent that board. A few times she even answered some questions for me, there.

Were you talking about actual face-to-face networking? I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to that one, being the stereotypical reclusive introvert, "writes in her pj's and bathrobe all day" kind of writer gal.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I network mainly off the 'net. I'm a member of a couple of writers' groups and visit many more. I get invited to give talks at schools, clubs etc and benefit from the discussions there. But my main source of shared valuable information is here, on AW.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
Were you talking about actual face-to-face networking? I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to that one, being the stereotypical reclusive introvert, "writes in her pj's and bathrobe all day" kind of writer gal.
Thanks, Callie!

I guess I should clairify...the sort of networking that can help one find paid writing work.

I've heard Facebook can be good...(I heard a writer (fiction writer) say in an interview recently that you can't even be a writer these days if you aren't on facebook...I don't know how true that is, lol, but it got me thinking).

I hear a lot of writers connect/find work via (oh, I'll just go ahead and say it) twitter.

What else?

Does anyone belong to their local chapter of the Writer's Union? (does that even still exist? I'll have to google that one...I remember looking into the once a long time ago regarding group health insurance rates...)

Thanks!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard Facebook can be good...(I heard a writer (fiction writer) say in an interview recently that you can't even be a writer these days if you aren't on facebook...I don't know how true that is, lol, but it got me thinking).

If you want to get anything done, don't join facebook. Ever wonder why I'm not on AW as much lately...hmmmm....thinkuhboutit.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to get anything done, don't join facebook. Ever wonder why I'm not on AW as much lately...hmmmm....thinkuhboutit.

And that is precisely my fear regarding twitter.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I...................Twitter.
I.......AW.

On top of that I bug the bejeezus out of my friend on IMs. Ok Dawn, waiting for you to be all smug now.

Commenting on blogs, not just leaving random comments on posts, but really getting to know the writers behind the blog. I haven't been such a good blog buddy lately, but it'll come back.

I'm also on LinkedIn, which is really great for keeping in contact with an amazing amount of folks. From PR agents to a Director of a company that donated a product for a review. Hey, I have a Clorox Director of a Division or other on my contact list and I'm on hers. Gets your name out there.

I have a few Myspace accounts, never use them. FaceBook- only when someone reminds me. I think, even though it is a HUGE time waster, Twitter is the very best in networking at the moment.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I network mainly off the 'net. I'm a member of a couple of writers' groups and visit many more. I get invited to give talks at schools, clubs etc and benefit from the discussions there. But my main source of shared valuable information is here, on AW.

It's good to hear there is face-to-face networking being done!

I think, even though it is a HUGE time waster, Twitter is the very best in networking at the moment.
Thanks, Julie...I have a feeling that--sooner or later--I'm gonna have to t-t-t-tw-twitter.

cllorentson

Lover of all things Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seattlewordnerd.wordpress.com
I have a few Myspace accounts, never use them. FaceBook- only when someone reminds me. I think, even though it is a HUGE time waster, Twitter is the very best in networking at the moment.

I have a Facebook and a Myspace account, but I don't use Myspace as much as Facebook. Facebook just seemed a little more civilized than Myspace--not so many teens taking pictures of themselves on the toilet...

I just joined Twitter, and so far I'm following Greg Grunberg and Wil Wheaton. I'm not real sure how that's going to help me with my writing...:D :D But I'm just kind of figuring it out as I go along.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Facebook. Twitter. Blogs, like Julie said. And right here at AW of course. I'd like to recommend a book called Non Toxic Networking too, which explains what to do when you get to all those places. But I basicallyvnetwork anywhere and everywhere.
Dawn

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For real life networking, you'd be surprised where and when you can. First, yes, get some business cards. Second, have them ready to hand out at all times (I carry a few in my wallet). Third, be willing to talk about your writing efforts when asked.

For example. Today at Toastmasters we had a guest, who is a non-traditional student, clerk at a local retail store, a few other odd jobs, and a (wait for it)......writer. Yep, he instantly received one of mine and JenNipps' cards. We also had an improptu writing meeting after the Toastmasters. He knows a couple of local editors, some I'm wanting to connect with, and Jen and I know some people and info he's hungry for. So, yeah we networked. I even try to strike up conversations with people when I'm in line and talk to them about my blog and (as yet unpublished book).

No, I'm not naturally outgoing, regardless of how it looks here at AW. I practice Jen's "fake it till I make it" philosophy, take a deep breath and start a conversation about something else and just winds it's way over to my writing. I'm not sure how much it helps, but you never know who will be the person you need to talk to.

Basically we need to network all the time. Whenever and wherever we are. Here's another idea I've never tried, and might not work as well today with people paying bills online, but maybe someone can use it. When you send a check to pay a bill include your business card that states what kind of writing you do. You don't know who's desk that card may land on, and if they're looking for a writer for some reason. Like I said, never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.

Oh gosh, my brain is so fried, I've really rambled here. Hope someone can glean some nugget of help out of this mess.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I netowrk on twitter and plurk. I'm also part of a moms group where there are a couple of momwriters. And of course AW. Its also great if you subscribe to a couple of writing newsletters. I have a couple and found that they have forums and groups to join. Commenting on blogs helps too because people get to know who you are and vice verse. Networking on line is so much better than doing it in person because I can get pretty nervous.lol.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Facebook is useful? Someone is going to have to clue me in on that one. The only useful thing I've found there was my old Girl Scout troop...and a reunion group for my high school who couldn't spell. Ug.

I visited my Writer's Guild once a few years ago - everyone seemed like wanna be poets. I'm more into journalism, so it seemed like a huge waste of time.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
The thing I've found out about networking through 4 different careers is that you never know when it might pay off. Be open-minded. And have business cards, as someone earlier suggested.

But you really have to nurture the relationships you have now. By supporting each other here and on other forums, taking extra care of those eds. you love, etc., you are going to get good karma in the acct.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy...you've inspired an a-ha! moment for me...I've gotten so burned out on the business I have now that I actually changed my number to discourage 'new client calls' (giving my new number to already existing clients), and I often don't even tell people what I do for a living when I'm out at a social event b/c I don't want to hear, "Oh, do you think you could do my..."

I've got to put on my new hat--'the freelance writer's hat'--and get back into 'building a business mode...'

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
How would you find work via Facebook? Cause for the life of me, I cannot find anything on facebook!

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should clairify...the sort of networking that can help one find paid writing work.

I've landed gigs through maintaining my network with editors, freelancers, family and friends. I've never gone out activly looking for a network, it's grown organically, and I've made sure to look after those contacts I'd like to keep. Some see other freelancers as competitors - I see them as colleagues. And colleagues help each other right? So when I can't do a gig, I'll recommend one of my freelance colleagues. And vice versa,

I've never had - or needed - business cards, but that might be a cultural difference.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
A freelance writer emailed me a few weeks ago, noticing my request on HARO for medical experts. She offered me one of the docs she often uses, and we ended up chatting back and forth via email. This is a perfect example of networking, IMHO! I haven't found paid work through her yet (but I did tell her how I edged my way into a national health website -- so she may have landed an assignment by using my "trick" (which was simply to click the "contact us" button - an obvious but simple way in)).

So, helping fellow writers is a great way to network.

One fellow - George - comments on almost all my blog posts on Quips & Tips for Freelance Writers. He's so encouraging and enthusiastic! Support a fellow blogger's posts via comments is another great way to network and build positive associations with your name. I know I feel all warm and fuzzy when I see George's name! :)

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
Hi Zoomusic, its always good to have Business Cards, but if your a writer, you have to do more than that when it comes to networking. Writing for online mags that promote your work is one way to get known. The other way is to write for print magazines, and just spreading the word about your works (books or articles you've written and published) to family, friends, acquantances and people in writers conferences, are excellent ways of networking with other writers and promoting your work.

Writing for sites that promote your work do not pay much, if anything for that matter, but it is so worth the work anyway, because you get known and this will increase your chances of getting the dream writing job you have been working to get for the longest time, and it also will increase your book sales once your book is published.

As an emerging freelance writer and aspiring author, this is what I've come to learn.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an example of some networking I did lately.

I noticed that an artist I interviewed for a piece had mentioned my article on his Web site. I asked him if he would give me writer credit and do a link to an online version of the article. He was very agreeable, especially when I told him I would cross-promote him with a link to his site when I get my Web site up. Mutual free PR that might lead to more work.

MamaLou

Banned
Reaction score
I do a lot of talking to people, handing out my card. You never know when someone can lend a hand... I am on Facebook but just as Nancy, not as "Nancy the writer" and my friends list is just, uh, friends.

I have a domain now that I use for promotion.

Sn00py

Literary Laureate
Registered
Reaction score
It's so ironic that some of the most devoted writers are also the most introverted. It would be nice if we could just sit in our rooms in our PJs and never have to leave!

But it also seems to me you have to be willing to get out and talk to people face-to-face as well as on boards and blogs if you're going to get published. My whole idea for a loooooooong time was that I had to write every day all day if I wanted to be successful. Forgetting that a quality life is what leads to quality writing, and that means developing relationships and networks with people that might want to purchase your story or freelance service.

I never would have thought of using Twitter. Can you give an example of how you use it to network? And maybe some guidelines? I'm afraid of getting caught in Greg Grunberg's feed!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Using Twitter to network....

Journchat (Monday nights, 8:00 EDT) and Editorchat (Wednesday nights, 8:00 EDT [except tonight]) are good ways to get started. Journalists, freelance writers, editors, and PR people go to both chats (PR more on Journchat than Editorchat).

Follow your friends on AW who are on Twitter. (I'm at www.twitter.com/jennipps for anyone who doesn't know.) Selectively follow some of their friends.

Through this, I now follow -- and am followed by -- various editors, PR people, other writers, publishers, and agents.

Twitter, while it can be a time vacuum, can certainly pay off. I've been approached by two people for writing/editing jobs. One decided to go with someone more local to him. The other is still pending. I've also been recently contacted by a publisher in London about possibly writing a how-to freelance book (how to get started doing freelance design).

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Good work . I always find people discouraging especially
competitors but here it is exactly the opposite.
By the way I am Padma Narayanaswamy and if anyone puts a good word I
will be more than be happy.
I am basicaly a freelance Journalist . But now I am into scripts . I have written two crossover scripts in English
Padma

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Twitter, Diggs, Mixx, reddit, Facebook and I have business cards. This week I'm the featured business at a community college networking event. I got the slot because I wrote about their event in my column for examiner. I'm the only one there and there wil be about 100 people in which I also get to mention I provide content services for local businesses.

I'm hoping to pick up a few clients and maybe even find a job. And most definitely I will get more readers.