length of historical novel

nehama

Registered
Reaction score
I read that historical novels are typically 70,000 words and up, as compared with other novels, which are considered reasonable if less wordy.
I've written two 'historical novels' which are between 50 and 60,000 words. Am I shooting myself in the foot, if I call them that, given the shorter word count? Or should I try to find another genre to use as a label instead?

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
nehama,

There will always be exceptions but I'm beginning to think 105,00 might be top end now for a debut author. I think you're fine with the lower end wc-I'm guessing it's not a sweeping time period piece and more like a focus on one big event?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, 100K is the preferred number for just about everything. That works out to about 300 pages. Historical can go higher than that up to about 150K. In my opinion, 50-60K is way too short for a historical - if it really is a historical and not a historical romance or fantasy. And remember, at 35K a work is considered a novella, 50K is not that much over that. Puma

nehama

Registered
Reaction score
historical novel or not?

After doing a bit of genre research, I'm starting to think that maybe what I have is not a historical novel, after all, despite the fact that it does occur at a specific period in time, i.e. a century ago. It more closely fits the 'old' definition of a psychological novel and now would probably go under the genre of commercial (not mainstream) fiction, because it is less based on specific world events and more on the inner psyches of the characters. This seems to work well for me in terms of word count, too, since there is a bit more flexibility for such novels, as compared with historicals.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think - again I'm a novice - that the genre of a book isn't effected by word count. Genre is all about subject matter/setting/plot.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Just to repeat...

UK editors' and agent's advice to me.

First novel should be at or under 100,000 words.

Historical novels around 100,000 words, with notable exceptions, but as a new novelist don't count yourself as an exception!.

tiger-lily

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I am aiming for 100,000 words (give or take a few) for my Regency-set historical romance.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Mine is 99k and shrinking - I am halfway through my AW-inspired edit and I think it will round down to 98k when I am done. I am targeting 85kwords for my historical horror WIP, just begun a week ago.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
My first novel came in at 240k, which got slashed to 135k before all was said and done.

With the Alaric novel, I'm hoping for a final count of 100-115k.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
127,500 and still got a few scenes to add :eek:

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Do these guidelines change when the novel is aimed at young adults. My current ms is 87k right now (and will probably fluxuate a tad with editing). 87k is getting towards the high end of YA so I'm just curious.