Hi. Nice to meet everyone.

NewWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a freelance writer. I write grants, business proposals, educational materials and sometimes scientific research articles. I have been a writer for two and a half years. I make only enough money to cover my bills, but I have not needed any job aside from writing/editing after I began my career as a writer.

I have a post in the non fiction book section, but if it does not violate rules, I would like to re-post it here as well:

Hello,

I am new here, and I am interested in writing a popular science book about medical imaging.

About me: I have been a 'science writer' for a few years now though there are no publications that credit me as an author. I edited and wrote text for two chapters of a popular science book when I worked as a research intern for a scientist in college. I also have written successful grants and the text of articles published in major journals (WSJ and Science). I am guessing that the scientists I wrote for would be willing to write reference letters that document my contributions. I am currently working with a published author and programmer who plans to let me co-author a number of scholarly articles, so I may have some minor publications to my name within the next few months.

About my co-author: The radiologist that pitched the idea to me is highly respected for his technical expertise and visual capabilities. He has also never published a book, but has written a number of scholarly articles in academic journals and medical journals. He is a research faculty member of MGH, one of the world's best hospitals, and he also has an MD from Harvard.

So, my questions are about the book proposal process. I am told that publishers might agree to publish a non fiction book if they have a good proposal and the first few chapters. I am told that it is possible to receive an advance for such a book even before it is completed. My co-author has no financial need for an advance and also has time to dedicate to this project this year since he is taking a six month sabbatical. I, however, live on a meager writer's income and would probably need some kind of immediate compensation in order to be able to dedicate a proper amount of time to this book. Is it realistic for me to expect that we can a) get a publisher before we have a finished book and b) get an advance.

Also, is it realistic to expect that we can even get a mainstream publisher to take interest in this book? It would not be out of the question for us to seek an additional contributor who has already published books though I would prefer not to have to do this.

Thank you very much!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

I am sure someone with the 'know' will be in to help you soon.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
:welcome:to AW, There's a thread dedicated to freelance writing here somewhere.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, New Writer!

I checked out where you posted at and it seems to me that would be the correct forum to get an answer to your questions. Although you have already gotten one reply, you might ask for clarification. A one word response would leave me guessing. lol!

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great people here and I am sure you will find someone who can assist you in your field of writing. It is neat that you are making it as a writer, albeit not as well paid as you would hope for. I hope this book idea pans out and you get the cash you need.

Good luck and it was a pleasure to meet you.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. ;)