Meyer's fanfic writer thinks copyright laws don't apply to HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
I understand the concept of fanfic, but I am appalled that someone would actually want to make a name for themselves selling someone else's characters and worlds. This is ridiculous. I think just for her sheer stupidity, she should incur a lawsuit, just so she understands that a copyright is a copyright and no one has the right to infringe upon it.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the concept of fanfic, but I am appalled that someone would actually want to make a name for themselves selling someone else's characters and worlds. This is ridiculous.

Well said. I also find it appalling.

I am a little weird about fanfiction, because even though I enjoy writing it and reading it, I don't really like the idea of people trying to make a name for themselves with it, even if they are not making money. That may be permissable, if the creator allows it, but it still gets on my nerves when I see it. I get feedback and praise for the stuff I write, but I realize that mostly what people are praising is the characters they already like. What makes me "good" is my ability to get the characters right, and the situations they would be in. I appreciate the positive comments, but I do think that fanfic writers should be humbled and grateful to the creators. It should be about sharing with other fans, and it should never go to your head.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I'll stick to The Morganville Vampires. Better bang and fang for your buck.

Intelligent, no-whining, resourceful MC, smart supporting cast, interesting stuff happening from page one onward.

But then Caine can actually WRITE.

No sparkles, just masterful wordage by someone who knows what they're doing when they pilot a keyboard.

Welcome to Morganville! You'll never want to leave!

We only have a few rules here:

• Don't stay out after dark
  • Pay your taxes (by bloodmobile)
  • Whatever you do, don't piss off the vampires

I read these on your recomendation and loved every one of them. They don't get enough love at all.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
It's really amazing that this entire thing has resurrected itself a year after it died down. It's almost silly in its persistence... like a monster that just won't die no matter how many times you kill it.

The page at Fan History (at http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Russet_Noon) is so huge it's scary.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What makes me "good" is my ability to get the characters right, and the situations they would be in. I

Which is not something of which the Syb can be accused of accomplishing with her turgid and overwrought strivings.

I find it hilarious that even the most "out there" fringe fanatics of Smeyer are turned off by Lady Potatohead's antics.

I've long concluded she has some serious emotional issues that make it impossible for her to see that she is in the wrong. Yes, such people really do exist outside the case studies we see on the Discovery Channel and Bridezillas.

I hope her family or friends are keeping an eye on her. Anyone who is so empty inside that they have to nourish what little self esteem they have on negative attention is in dire need of professional help.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it. For someone in need of attention, even bad press is better than no attention at all...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which is not something of which the Syb can be accused of accomplishing with her turgid and overwrought strivings.

I find it hilarious that even the most "out there" fringe fanatics of Smeyer are turned off by Lady Potatohead's antics.

I've long concluded she has some serious emotional issues that make it impossible for her to see that she is in the wrong. Yes, such people really do exist outside the case studies we see on the Discovery Channel and Bridezillas.

I hope her family or friends are keeping an eye on her. Anyone who is so empty inside that they have to nourish what little self esteem they have on negative attention is in dire need of professional help.
I hope her antics haven't driven away her family and friends.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
How did I miss this train wreck? This is better than that Candace Sams fiasco.

As others have said, I really dislike Twilight, but Meyer doesn't seem that bad of a person, so I hope this Lady Syb gets shut down.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I really am sick of her. She sounds so full of herself. She has to have some sort of mental problems. She keeps posting about how strong their getting when slowly but surely she's getting shut down.

good riddance.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight is what it is. It appeals to some and not to others. Perhaps Meyer is hoping it will go away. Is she even aware of this... person?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps soon, it will die.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I looked (about a minute ago) the Potato's illegal effort was not available from CreateSpace.

Since she's fixated on the one project--real writers have several going--I expect she will try-try again, inspiring more ridicule. Sheesh, the poor spud has to mention winning some decade-old essay prize as part of her resume, how desperate is that?

In 2007 she gets a masters degree in screenwriting? From where? Who taught the course? Was it at a real college or one of those mail order things? Or is it a flat out lie?

Now, had she actually SOLD a screenplay that was made into a movie that would be a solid brag.

Goodness knows I'd like this topic to be dead. Her potential as a professional writer certainly is, but hey, she's doing reviews on Amazon.

They wander off topic all over the place, though. It's less beverage alert than W-T-F? alert. You have been warned.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Goodness knows I'd like this topic to be dead. Her potential as a professional writer certainly is, but hey, she's doing reviews on Amazon.

They wander off topic all over the place, though. It's less beverage alert than W-T-F? alert. You have been warned.

Uh, yeah. Her review of Mockingjay starts with a screed about how books cost too much and it sucks being unemployed. And her life is just like Katniss's because she also has to struggle to put food on the table. And The Capitol is just like the U.S.

I can only imagine how such a sophisticated grasp of metaphor translates into her fiction.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
You know, checking out her Amazon reviews there's a certain irony to her complaint that The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is "way too much like Anne Rice".
Maybe Meyer meant it as a parody ...

And holy moly, her 1 star review of Breaking Dawn is essentially one long plug for her own fanfic.

Unbelievable.

MM

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't wanna plug her stuff!

But the wandering reviews do add to my idea that she has some kind of disorder.

One may hope that she can get treatment and proper medication, and if so, then I will post an apology for all the mean things I've said.

If she has a mental disorder (which would explain everything), then she is no more responsible for this dog and pony show than a person who limps because they were born with a short leg.

Her reactions do remind me strongly of the "Underdog Lady" Suzanne Muldowney. I met her years ago at a convention where her "interpretive dances" were the target of much mockage. She seemed normal until you interacted with her for longer than a few minutes, and then it was Twilight Zone time.

She made a vivid impression on me, coming off as being a loud and not too bright spoiled brat. Things had to go her way, run along the tracks she set, and she simply could not get that there were other points of view. She pitched a fit if things did not run to her rigid plan, and no one wanted to deal with her. She was a guest on Howard Stern a few times, and treated very badly.

Years and years later she was diagnosed with a form of Asperger syndrome. She went from being a target for anyone with a rock to throw to an example of someone overcoming a big problem.

My Life as an Underdog documentary film
Wikipedia article

Like the Spud, she fixated on a property owned by someone else, anchoring all her actions and ambitions on that one thing.

Unlike the Spud, she did not violate anyone's copyright with her costumes and dances.

If the Spud has ANY friends or family over there in Antelope Valley, they need to give her a good talking to and get her to a doctor.

If she gets help, then we can apologize and put this to bed.

Reaction score
You know, checking out her Amazon reviews there's a certain irony to her complaint that The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is "way too much like Anne Rice".
Maybe Meyer meant it as a parody ...

And holy moly, her 1 star review of Breaking Dawn is essentially one long plug for her own fanfic.

Unbelievable.

MM
I thought exactly the same thing. It's lifted straight from the Baby Jenks chapter of...QotD, was it?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
*drools at the idea of a Meyer/Rice plagiarism wank war*

Not going to happen.

Rice is ignoring that she wrote all the vamp stuff and is busy promoting herself as the Holy Ghostwriter for Jesus.

Oi vey.

I'm going back to reread my collection of Morganville Vampires. MUCH better writer than either of 'em and the books make more sense than the real world.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
It's STILL ALIVE!?!

seriously. Why haven't they put an end to this farce?

Status
Not open for further replies.