Meyer's fanfic writer thinks copyright laws don't apply to HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

A "tribute artist" announces a sequel to Twilight series in this press release.

This isn't whether or not we like the YA series or love/hate fanfic, this is about one fan's delusional sense of entitlement and the unshakable fact that Meyers and the machine behind her DOES have a copyright on the whole shebang.

This is so wrong I don't know where to shoot first, there's just too many targets.

A quote from the "writer": "I guarantee you, Stephenie will never sue me. She and I are both mature adults. If anything, she'll appreciate the tribute I'm paying her."

She overlooked the other sharks in the pool. Meyers might be forgiving, but not the Suits at the publishers or the film studio.

She's in for one nasty shock when the lawyers start gnawing on her bum.

Of course, there is considerable fandom wank on the issue.

I'd like to think she's just off her meds, but some people really ARE just that stupid!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good gawd.

That quote was priceless, G. *headdesk*

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The quote on the other release linked at the bottom of that one (The controversy continues) is quite priceless as well - copyright doesn't really apply if the characters have entered the collective psyche or if the author uses real places... yeah. Right.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Self-published fanfic, apparently.

Ah ... life is never dull.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It just got better.

Lady Sybilla is on YouTube.

I'm sorry, but the AW emoticons can't possibly express how HARD I'M LAUGHING.

Ow. Popped another danged rib. Ow. ow.

The website--for as long as it stays up, that is.

When I heard the title "Russet Noon" all I could think was that it involved having potatoes for lunch.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I don't personally have anything against fanfic, but this goes way beyond any lines fanfic writers have toed in the past. What gets me is that she's using a press release distribution site .. and an online publishing company?

I hope she gets slapped with a lawsuit so fast she gets knocked to last Tuesday. I'm not a fan of the books in any sense of the word but ... go, Meyer, go.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Man. Is there something wrong with this Lady Sybilla's head? What makes her think that copyrights don't apply?! Sheesh! I don't think that she is just stupid, I think that she has literally lost her mind!

And her arguments don't make the least bit of sense. She probably didn't even do any research about the Twilight saga in other countries. And she published it herself? How stupid can she be?! Jeez!!!!

This is just wrong. I think that Stephenie Meyer has had a lot of bad luck with her books since she started Midnight Sun. And what kind of title is Russet Noon anyway? Even if it was legal.

Polly

Back from the Brink
Registered
Reaction score
Really? Surely an early (but not particularly funny) April Fools?

I can't understand the publisher's take on this...

"When fictional characters become such an intricate part of the popular psyche, as is the case with the Twilight Saga, legal boundaries become blurred, and copyright laws become increasingly difficult to define. This is especially the case when actual cities like Forks and Volterra are used as the novel's settings. Such settings are not copyrightable, as they are considered public domain. Similarly, the Quileute Nation is also not copyrightable, and neither are vampire or werewolf legends. Copyright laws protect writers from unauthorized reproductions of their work, but such reproductions only include verbatim copying. Characters are only copyrightable if their creator draws them or hires an artist to draw them. Stephenie Meyer herself borrowed a great deal from previous works dealing with these mythologies."
(http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/33491549.html)

Are they legit? This is not at all how my limited understanding goes.

I tried to find their website, but just got press releases about this book and a TV show about ghost hunting (http://www.avparanormal.com/)

Polly

Back from the Brink
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Ignore my overzealousness. I should have watched the thread for longer... this being self-published makes a bit more sense. Though not much.
Even if Stephanie Meyers is flattered at the 'tribute', I doubt her publisher will be?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
AV Paranormal?

Hum.

They must be complete wanking IDIOTS.

I tried to search for them, found just the unhelpful website, and no list of other books they've published.

My best guess is the fanfic writer is the publisher. No legit house would release such a load of cobblers in regard to copyright law.

"When fictional characters become such an intricate part of the popular psyche, as is the case with the Twilight Saga, legal boundaries become blurred, and copyright laws become increasingly difficult to define. This is especially the case when actual cities like Forks and Volterra are used as the novel's settings. Such

Pul-eese, I've heard that argument made by ficcers for three decades now.

It's still a load of cobblers, and this moron is going to find out just how clear cut the laws of copyright ARE in very short order.

If you thought the Cassie Edwards debacle was bloody, well, time to grab a plastic rain coat and cover up.

Last edited:

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
She overlooked the other sharks in the pool. Meyers might be forgiving, but not the Suits at the publishers or the film studio.

LMAO--amen--she doesn't know what she's stepped into.
My day job is with a costume retailer--let me tell you--license issues are HUGE. Our wholesale supplier can't ship a generic fedora in the same shipment as a Freddy mask due to licensing issues. Generic hockey masks must be labelled "not a horror item"--God forbid we sell a machete with them. Trust me, after twenty some odd years, way more people know who Michael and Freddy are than Edward. That "public psyche" shit ain't gonna fly.

Personally, I don't see much problem with fan-fic as long as it stays in the "hobby" realm. When you start trying to publish your own work based on somebody else's intellectual property, you are going to step on some toes. I don't care how adult they are.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
She definitely has issues.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
It just got better.

Lady Sybilla is on YouTube.

I'm sorry, but the AW emoticons can't possibly express how HARD I'M LAUGHING.

Ow. Popped another danged rib. Ow. ow.

The website--for as long as it stays up, that is.

When I heard the title "Russet Noon" all I could think was that it involved having potatoes for lunch.

::Ack::

Gagging too hard to laugh.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there was a case a few years ago where someone self-published a Star Wars fan fic and had it for sale on Amazon.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and wasn't it knocked down immediately?

(not to mention, that fanfic had a bunch of scenes directly out of the movie)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear--I'm not trying to get a debate going on pro-con fan fic. Let's try to avoid that, as there's other threads for that back and forth.

This is a primal lesson in what NOT to do if you want a career as a writer.

She's so hosed. So Hosedly MacHosed.

Sad thing is, unless she means it as a sly joke or as a social experiment for a term paper, she will soon be asking why people are being so mean to her.

Poor git.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and wasn't it knocked down immediately?

(not to mention, that fanfic had a bunch of scenes directly out of the movie)

Oh yes. And deservedly so. I should have clarified, I posted it as an example of just how out of touch the Meyer fanfic writer is.

Just so I'm clear--I'm not trying to get a debate going on pro-con fan fic. Let's try to avoid that, as there's other threads for that back and forth.

Agreed. Most people who are pro-fanfic (and I'm quite guilty of liking Doctor Who fics) would probably agree that this crosses a serious line.

Deleted member 42

The movie production company has made tie-ins; "action figures," diaries, etc.

The characters are trademarked. This is very very bad. Trademark starts with automatic fines. Big fines.

This is blatantly illegal and unethical.

The publisher and the author are both stupid; there's heaps of case law about this--the Tolkien estate alone has sued hundreds of un-authorized writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.