Sandra Day O'Connor graciously fields NYT jackassery

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Deborah Solomon must have pictures of some higher-up at the Grey Lady in a compromising position with farm animals. That's the only explanation I can imagine for the paper vetting her Sunday Magazine interviews, which IMO have just gotten less substantive and more bitchily self-serving over the years.

In an interview with O'Connor here about her new website, she probes for dirt about Connor's ailing husband, tries to get her to do a little partisan bashing, and patronizes her about her age. It's a pleasure to see O'Connor cut her off at the knees.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Whether you agree with O'Connor or not politically, everyone has to give her credit, the woman doesn't take any shit. She held off the bullying from another reporter about a month ago, I'll see if I can find the article, it was priceless.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, that was terrible. This especially struck me as tasteless in the extreme:

A while ago, it was reported that he had struck up a romance with a patient at an assisted-care center, and you seemed not to mind.

Heavens no. He was in a cottage, and there was a woman who kind of attached herself to him. It was nice for him to have someone there who was sometimes holding his hand and to keep him company. And then he was moved to a different cottage, because his condition deteriorated. And in the new cottage, there’s another woman who has been very sweet to him. And I’m totally glad.

Someone needs to smack Solomon with a clue-by-four. Hard.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love how she kept it on track. Everytime the interviewer tried to deviate she got it right back on point.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
OMG. What an AWFUL interview. Solomon needs to buy a clue.

It's the NYT, what do you expect? This is the paper that reported the clearly fake stories about McCain's "mistress" without verifying any sources. The whole paper is a rotted shell of what it once was.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't even make for good reading. Solomon comes off as hostile, at least in my mind. Can a helicopter drop her off in the clue forest?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just have to say, Sandra Day O'Connor totally rawks!

I've read a couple short biographies about her and she gives me hope about our species. 'Please, Universe, may we have another Sandra?'

No mishy mouth saying, 'no', when she means 'yes' from her. Kick some more ass, girlfriend!

Reaction score
Not quite as good as the interview with Kristy McNichol in the 08/78 issue of Dynamite.

But close.

dynamite.jpg