What if you can't stay true to the facts?

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
In historial writing, a major part of the writing process is researching and getting your information correct. Of course we all want our stories to be realistic and stay as close to the truth as possible. But the true is, there isn't enough information out there to give us every single fact and detail about the era we're talking about.
What do you do when you can't find information that you need? Do you make it up or try to twist to avoid it?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
If there are no known facts, how are you being untrue?

Sometimes you have to make assumptions based on what is known, otherwise, there'd be a lot of unfinished historical works. Puma

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
That's the fun of historical fiction. I let my stories happen in the closest I can get to what things were like at that time. And don't forget, contempory writing (on which our history is often based) was often written from the author's biased POV.

But my work is fiction so I don't have any qualms when I write things that might have happened or which I know didn't happen. As long it is a good story to read, that's all I worry about.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
If I really can't find out about something in particular, I'll make it up, though I'll try to at least make it believable.

Granted, I write fantasy with historical aspects, not straight historical fiction, so I have to include disclaimers because even when some stuff is known I might change or modify it, but I still do have standards. When you really can't find something out, it's fine to create it if it suits the world of the story (more historical and accurate for historical fiction, perhaps less so but still in keeping with the fictional world for fantasy), though the bigger the details being changed or made up, the more I think some kind of author's note should be required so readers don't take your made-up bits as fact. But that's just me.

I learned that from experience. :eek: I think your reasons for making things up are perfectly valid, otherwise.

alex_falstone

Registered
Reaction score
I think of it as an historical jigsaw. Academics can't fill in the gaps, but we can. We get to take sides, too. It's great! Most studies written by scholars tend to take a neutral stance over whether someone was a good or bad guy - novelists can be partisan, provided they back it up in the writing.

The thing is to spend time being as exhaustive as is humanly practical, to get as many pertinent facts as you can. Getting the event framework is easy; finding the detail about lives and how people lived is harder, depending on the time/country of study. I'm very excited because I've just received a book I ordered on what people owned in my period of interest, and what those things cost. As an extra benefit, the academic who wrote it has listed every material possession of a man who plays a minor but significant role in my novel - right down to his socks! This is because he fell foul of the ruler and had his entire estate and 'stuff' evaluated and listed. It gives me a real hang on what my characters owned and how they lived, and also such detail as the relative worth of a sum of money.

If I find a fact that turns my story around, I can't ignore it. I might try and slant it in such a way so that it works my story, but I can't reject an outright truth. Better by far to stop for a short time, absorb that fact and then let it be part of the story.

Example: My protagonist is motivated to avenge his father's framing for treason. When I started out, I had a (very schmoopy) scene where his dad taught him to ride, etc, etc - all very cutesy and cliched. I loved that scene. Unfortunately, the weight of evidence suggests my protagonist was about two years old when he last saw his father, and it's unlikely the romantic ride through the forests around Pereiaslavl happened. *sigh*. I loved that bit. So when I finally caved in, I invented a scene where the kid saw his father arrested, and was traumatised and it becomes a central mystery until he uncovers the memory as an adult. I love that bit, too, and it has no schmoop, which is a good thing, at least.

I think, though, it's the author who decides whether the evidence is compelling enough so you have to take account of it. You can weigh up the pros and cons before deciding. Sometimes, accounts of long-ago periods are suspect, or the source is not to be entirely trusted as it might be tendentious. However, if a Military Register has character X fighting in a siege in 1592, then it's probable he did. If the defecting traitor courtier writes his memoirs and insists X Monarch was a devil unhung, then you probably have greater room for manoeuvre. It depends on the source.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
In historial writing, a major part of the writing process is researching and getting your information correct. Of course we all want our stories to be realistic and stay as close to the truth as possible. But the true is, there isn't enough information out there to give us every single fact and detail about the era we're talking about.
What do you do when you can't find information that you need? Do you make it up or try to twist to avoid it?
As long as it's plausible and might have happened that way I wouldn't worry about it. I'm writing about ancient Babylon and there are gaps and discrepancies and pure speculation in much of my research material. I plan to draw my own conclusions and hope readers think, 'yeah, it could have been like that.'

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Some people might not like the things you invent, but the fact is, everything in historical fiction has to be made up to some extent - I mean, we can't really truly know how people felt about each other or the reasons behind their actions, though we can make good guesses.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Contemporary fiction is made-up too. Authors get place and procedural details wrong all the time. Why should they have all the fun?

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
It depends on the style of novel you are writing. If it's straight historical fiction, I'd say be as true to the period as you can and stay within what you know so that the story is plausible.

If it's historical fantasy/historical magical realism, I'd set up the rules for the world clearly (i.e. It's say medieval France, but pagan beliefs result in real miracles). Or say the gargoyles come to life at night, but otherwise known facts are true.

If it's alternate history, again be clear what facts you are adhering to and what you are changing.

I find an Author's Note lends weight to your credibility--here you can show what you know to be true, and where you have taken liberties to tell a good story.

Johnque

John Q
Registered
Reaction score
That's why they call it BASED on true story, not true story -- you have to fil the blanks.
Good luck