• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

PressTige Publishing (Martha Ivery aka Kelly O'Donnell)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Breaking news...Martha Ivery (a.k.a Kelly O'Donnell and numerous other aliases), d.b.a. PressTige Publishing, was indicted on 17 counts of fraud and other deceptive conduct in the US Federal Court in Albany, NY on June 1, 2005. She was to be arraigned at 1:00 p.m. today (June 3). Further details to follow.

Writer Beware has been tracking Ivery since 1998, and we worked with the FBI and others to gather information and documentation leading to the indictment. It's been a long fight, and we're very pleased. This is a victory for writers everywhere.

There's more on Ivery and her scam here.

- Victoria

Last edited:

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Oh, Frabjous Day! Calloo, Callay!

icon10.gif

(Happy Snoopy dancing in the aisles)

Six years!

Six years, but finally, she's going down!

YESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!

-Ann C. Crispin
Writer Beware RULES!
www.writerbeware.com

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great work ladies.

I have hope that I may read about another bilker one day as well.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Jaws said:
And, if you'd like to give yourself a headache following along while we determine the possible length of darling Martha's vacation at Club Fed, I blawgged it at Scrivener's Error. And yes, I am a meany, so you'll need to go see it: It's not a simple exercise.
I saw your cryptic pre-comment there shortly after seeing Victoria's announcement here, so I figured that was what you were probably talking about. Thanks for breaking it down with an explanation the layperson can understand--or, at least, come as close to understanding as anyone without a law degree can manage! ;)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I could have sworn I did this before, but I didn't.

This requires a massive Snoopy dance.

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Congrats, Ann and Victoria! I knew this was coming!

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Yesss! That no-talent broad finally bites the dust!

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
From someone who had Martha Ivery/Kelly O'Donnel as her agent, I say thanks. :Clap: I was one of the lucky ones. I did pay her- I know I know I shouldn't have done that but I didn't know that at the time- but I was able to get my money back. She told me that Northwest Publishing out of Utah wanted my book. I think you all know what happened to them.

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Breaking news...Martha Ivery (a.k.a Kelly O'Donnell and numerous other aliases), d.b.a. PressTige Publishing, was indicted on 17 counts of fraud and other deceptive conduct in the US Federal Court in Albany, NY on June 1, 2005. She was to be arraigned at 1:00 p.m. today (June 3). Further details to follow.

Writer Beware has been tracking Ivery since 1998, and we worked with the FBI and others to gather information and documentation leading to the indictment. It's been a long fight, and we're very pleased. This is a victory for writers everywhere.

There's more on Ivery and her scam here.

- Victoria

Wow! I'm glad you and Writer Beware are here! You have saved so many first time writers from fates like these. Thank you!

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for helping out so many writers. Thanks for keeping me educated at an early age. When I finally break out into SF, I'll remember to thank you and Ann and everyone who helps with Writer Beware.

Another victory! May there be many, many more to come!

This is why we should all run out and buy Victoria's (and Ann's) books. I'll make sure to add some of them to my list.

--Alan

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
On June 3, Ivery -- also known as Kelly O'Donnell -- was charged with mail fraud, bankruptcy fraud and fraud in connection with an access device, all felonies. The 56-year-old woman faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.
:banana:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
As they say -- "Better late, than never!" A belated thank you, Ann, Victoria, for all your hard work. I am awed at the probable number of authors you saved from a con rip-off. :Cheer: