On Queries and Agents: Information Sources

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Need advice... I got a request for an exclusive read from my dream agent who I'll call Agent1. In the meantime, I've gotten a request from Agent2 who also has outstanding credentials. The "exclusive" with Agent1 is about up and I'm just wondering, should I follow-up with an e-mail to Agent1 or just go ahead and send to Agent2? What's proper protocol in this situation?
Suzan

Last edited:

Ms.rachel

Registered
Reaction score
tell agent two about the exclusive and the date that you can send them the MS. Then on the final day of the exclusive ask agent 1 for a status update. Ask if they had time to consider it, you could tell them that you have had another request and before sending something off wanted to check in with them. You dont want to come off like you are pressuring them for a response, but I think full disclosure would be your best bet. I am sure they are use to this kind of thing. Agent 1 is your first choice, so let them know that you are keeping them informed because they are your preference.
And.... congrats on the interest!

good luck

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the great advice! Thank you!!
Suzan

Kristin

The piratey one.
Registered
Reaction score
Great list! I realize the last post is a few months old, but I'm trying to find a good database for agents without having to start a new thread. This site is huge and the search feature here is daunting.

So according to your list, three top sites for finding agents are Agentquery.com (I've already used that to find my initial list of agents), Publishers Marketplace, and AAR. Does anyone know if there are any other databases I can use to help me find agents in my genre that I might have missed? Or a book that I can sit down with and copy names from? (Writers Market maybe? I haven't looked at one of those in a while but I don't know if it has a list of agents.) I'm 3/4 of the way through my list of agents to query, and starting to worry that I'll run out before finding one.

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Happy day, I've been enlightened

Ladyillusion7

Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that several Agents, say they don't represent Romance novels, yet will put Women's Fiction. What is the difference?

My novel is a romance novel, but it can fall into the category of Women's Fiction, since its about the character's survival and all the atrocities she goes through at the hands of her husband. Can any explain the difference please. Ta

NB: Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area, i thought as it relates to querying agents, it might be appropriate. If its not, please could you move it. Thanks

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I have noticed that several Agents, say they don't represent Romance novels, yet will put Women's Fiction. What is the difference?

My novel is a romance novel, but it can fall into the category of Women's Fiction, since its about the character's survival and all the atrocities she goes through at the hands of her husband. Can any explain the difference please. Ta

NB: Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area, i thought as it relates to querying agents, it might be appropriate. If its not, please could you move it. Thanks

Romance : abut the development of a relationship that leads to an HEA (happy ever after, or at least a happy for now). Tends to gloss over any 'dark' aspects.

Love story: Same but may not end happily

Women's fiction: I think it more focuses on the life of the MC (think Catherine Cookson/Barbara Taylor Bradford, obviously written for women, not nesc, a happy ending, or happy things in book. Can go a lot darker than romance) They may or may not find happiness at teh end, but it's the heroine's journey through life (rather than A Relationship)that is the focus.

Yours sound more women's fic, from what you've said.

Ladyillusion7

Registered
Reaction score
Romance : abut the development of a relationship that leads to an HEA (happy ever after, or at least a happy for now). Tends to gloss over any 'dark' aspects.

Love story: Same but may not end happily

Women's fiction: I think it more focuses on the life of the MC (think Catherine Cookson/Barbara Taylor Bradford, obviously written for women, not nesc, a happy ending, or happy things in book. Can go a lot darker than romance) They may or may not find happiness at teh end, but it's the heroine's journey through life (rather than A Relationship)that is the focus.

Yours sound more women's fic, from what you've said.

@IdiotsRUs - Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think my book is definitely Women's Fiction rather than romance, as it is about the transition of the MC.

Thanx

codone

Registered
Reaction score
Many links are bad

Note: Many of these links are bad.

I don't know much about query letters and agents, but I'm trying to learn. And some place like Absolute Write is a great place to learn, because there's always a flurry of questions and answers in this thread and that thread. And, since I'd like to learn as much as possible, I've taken to jotting down people's comments and suggestions in various threads in a file.

I just got to looking at that file, and it seems like there's a lot of good stuff in there culled from all those other threads.

I thought, maybe other people would find these information sources useful. So I stuck 'em in this here thread and posted 'em. And since I still don't know much about query letters and agents, and I'm still trying to learn, if anyone has more links or information on queries and agents to complement what's below, please post it.

Some Links on Queries and Agents

Places on the Net in General. The WWW is a big place, and a whole lot of information is out there.
How Do You Write a Query? Try the how-to articles from

Non-Fiction Proposals and information:
Sample Query Letters from published authors are available from
Agent's Ideal Queries -- what they look for (and hate!) in a query that crosses their desk -- may also be useful. Try the ones from
On Getting Agents, advice comes from multiple sources:
Finding Agents
Right here on the Absolute Write forums there's plenty of useful information. In particular:
Uncle Jim, in his novel-writing thread

Guest agents answer tons of questions:
Andrew Zack, in "Ask the Agent,"
More general query threads
Query critiques and rewrites, are a collaborative effort from multiple members, with discussions and pointers of good and bad things in query letters. For current discussions, check out the Query Letter Critiques in the Share Your Work forum.

A Few Miscellaneous are
Any additions?

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
As I expected, a very helpful thread. But I'm left wondering about something: I went a-Googling today, now that the time had come to query on the new project. Has something changed online in the past year or two? I ask this, because I had the darndest time when I input the name of an agent or agency. I was looking for the agency's web sites for names of agents, submission information. But I kept finding scads of listings for Query Tracker and other sources, not providing e-mail addresses or agents' names, etc. Did the world change while I Rip Van Rebbed?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
reb, I just noticed that quite a few websites I bookmarked even last year were gone. It's not just you. As they say, publishing is changing quite a bit these days. Blink and we miss something (or someone...)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
As I expected, a very helpful thread. But I'm left wondering about something: I went a-Googling today, now that the time had come to query on the new project. Has something changed online in the past year or two? I ask this, because I had the darndest time when I input the name of an agent or agency. I was looking for the agency's web sites for names of agents, submission information. But I kept finding scads of listings for Query Tracker and other sources, not providing e-mail addresses or agents' names, etc. Did the world change while I Rip Van Rebbed?

In order to see an agent's email addresses on Query Tracker you need to be a user of that site. (Registered.) You can either do the free register or paid. (With paid you get more options and some reports, etc., that are not available with the free.)

But with free you get names, postal addresses and email addresses. You can also keep track of your queries.

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
In order to see an agent's email addresses on Query Tracker you need to be a user of that site. (Registered.) You can either do the free register or paid. (With paid you get more options and some reports, etc., that are not available with the free.)

But with free you get names, postal addresses and email addresses. You can also keep track of your queries.

Thanks for your response. I've spent the better part of this morning Googling more intensively to make sure I wasn't the problem. The number of agencies who have actual websites appears to have diminished--cutting corners, it may be. Clearly, I'll need to learn new footwork and be more fluid in my approach. The morning has ended on a happy note, with my following through on an agency mentioned at the back of a favorite book. One of the agents has a strong record in bookstores and I spent a decade working in two of the country's biggest. So we'll see if we connect.

Will keep you guys posted.

P.S. Chuck Sambuchin's online Guide to agents is beginning to show real potential.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I have a question, and I sincerely apologize if it's a bad question. Do you look for agents based on the genre you write? I know nothing about getting or even having an agent. I am completely new to even the idea of publishing. Please note that I am not looking for an agent of as of right now. I am just trying to find information and learn.

Last edited:

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I have a question, and I sincerely apologize if it's a bad question. Do you look for agents based on the genre you write? I know nothing about getting or even having an agent. I am completely new to even the idea of publishing. Please note that I am not looking for an agent of as of right now. I am just trying to find information and learn.

You want an agent who represents your preferred genre(s) because they obviously have the editorial contacts in place to make sales.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You want an agent who represents and has sold in your preferred genre(s) because they obviously have the editorial contacts in place to make sales.

I made a little tweak. You really want someone who does more than rep Genre X. If you're their first attempt at selling YA or romance or thriller, even though it's on their list, then you may only be hoping they have the contacts in place.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Ideally, you want an agent who has sold books in the genre you write to the kind of publisher you would like to be published by.

If what you want is to sell a mystery novel to a Big Six New York press, then an agent who has only sold mysteries to university presses and epublishers isn't your best bet.