Past Lurker, Present Newbie, Future Hopeful....and much less tense

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone at AW,

I've been poking around the Water Cooler reading threads for days to make sure I don't miss any pearls of wisdom that are found throughout these posts. My thanks to all of you for providing much to read (and learn from). With all the topics/subjects I don't think I've even made a dent yet but I'm working on it. So far I've noticed sound advice, helpful information, and kind encouragement are the norm and this made me want to be a part of AW instead of on the sidelines. Best of all I'm glad to see AW's not a cannibalistic online community that eats their young which makes being a newbie look pretty safe. :p

As for me and writing...Like many writers I tend to write what I love to read. While I relish many types of fiction I have a soft spot for anything that reads like old school storytelling. I was raised in NYC but with much of my extended family in the South I spent many summers there. I grew up hearing stories as savory as the ones I read. Y'know the "come and gather round on the back porch for a story on a scorching night while crickets chirp in the background" kind of thing... My great grandfather could tell ghost stories that gave us chills in July or I could hear a scandalous tale in five minutes or less from the grocer that knew everyone's business past and present. Southerners know how to do a pitch! They would always make my eyes widen and my mouth hang open while I whispered "then what happened?" My other influences are varied. I would hear these tall tales and then come home and read the classics for school. This shows up in my writing in unexpected shapes because of the way they intermingle.

So far my novels came out like this:
Fantasy (more Jorge Luis Borges than Dragons),
Suspense/thriller (think Monkey's Paw in an...ohhhhh you shouldna done that thing....sort of way),
Quirky chick lit (think of Tom Robbins Under the Tuscan Sun).

Though they are very distinct genres my stories all tend to have a literary flavor, lessons learned, bits of wisdom found. The other thing they have in common is a supernatural or spiritual element in varying degrees due to my interest in those subjects. I began with screenplays then short stories and some flash fiction but wanted a bit more leg room and turned to novels. Now I feel most at home with novels for character development and intricacies in the plots I develop. A couple of my short pieces I don't know how to categorize. I'm not sure where they fall. One is more psychological horror (not usually my thing but that's how it turned out). The other one, well, I don't know what that is. =[

When I'm not working or writing I volunteer with an international humanitarian organization that responds to disasters. I've been involved in that since 2005. Besides volunteering being something I sincerely love the side effect is that it keeps the ups and downs of writing in perspective. No mountains grow from molehills.

I can't think of what more I ought to tell you. I like pink? My left foot is one inch shorter than my right? Hm. Now this is starting to sound like 25 Random Things About Me on Facebook. I tend to babble sometimes so please forgive the lengthy introduction. I guess I should stop now.

I look forward to hanging around more, getting to know everyone here, learning much, and once in a while chiming in with a comment of my own if it might be of use.

See you at the threads :)

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome aboards

I just saw how long my post was. Dang! That's what I get for doing an intro bleary eyed and badly needing sleep. :Shrug:

Thanks for the welcomes!
Nadja

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just wait till you get to the other parts of the forum. Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, and welcome to the Cooler. Just like you, I'm pretty much influence by what I loved to read as a kid: stories about musketeers and kidnapped babies. Hence I write exactly that!

Nickie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
More thanks to the welcome wagon :)

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! People around here are the best! I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Atani, I'm glad you liked my intro, thanks. All those words and not one of them was my name. Duh. Ah, the joys of sleep deprivation and late night internet access :)

CactusWendy, extra butter on the popcorn for me please. :D I've been exploring the thread today and know that in the coming weeks I will get lost in here. If you see me OD'd on thread reading and wandering the halls muttering into my chin...don't worry. It'll pass. I already seem to be showing early signs of Smiley's Syndrome. :(

Nickie, muskateers and kidnapped babies? Oooooooo....I have to check that out/ Sounds like a wild ride. Just makes the AW journey better with side trips to board member websites.

Thanks you all again for stopping over to welcome me! :)

Nadja

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! I think you may have me topped on rambling. And that is really sayin' sumtin.

Nice to meet you. And I enjoyed your intro very much. I hope to see you participate a lot for I will enjoy reading more of your posts, me thinks.

Good luck writing!

Christine

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, RB!

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!

More joined the welcome wagon? :) I'm starting to feel like part of the family already :D

Alina, I am enjoying the forums very much! I went to an event last night and was seated next to a literary agent. A bunch of the information I gathered from reading the threads came in super handy. Apparently, it really sinks in.

Willfulone, I'll have to do a search for your posts fellow rambler. Can't wait until we get going on a thread together,lol!

Thanks to Madisonwrites and Vixey for the welcomes, too :)

All this and AW sent me a happy birthday email on top of it. I'm gonna love hangin' around this place!

Thanks again :)

Nadja

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:and thanks for the welcome colealpaugh, kct webber, and sadron!