• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

du Jour Films and Entertainment / Gypsy Productions

ironmike

Registered
Reaction score
I posted on the script forum last week about being offered ( loose term ) a 90 day option to market my script, this only after they had reviewed the script. They said it was ready for the prime time and would market it to major studios and independants...for a fee. Are they just another scam outfit or what?

Never sit on a barbed wire fence naked! ouch!

Robert

Registered
Reaction score
du Jour Films and Entertainment

To the “bloggers” and “haters” who have put down our company (du Jour Films and Entertainment) because we refuse to extend our services to them for free.

Why should we spend the money and take the risk to prepare and shop your script? Unless your screenplay is the “Golden Grail” or something of similar value, it has NO VALUE to anyone other than to you, (the author), your friends and your family.

If we select to shop your screenplay it is only because we believe that your screenplay has a “commercial value” and that we can refine it, and add the “juice” to it, to make it marketable and attract the interest of a buyer so it will be read and moved to the next level and then hopefully get the green-light for production.

Most of the “bloggers” and “haters” will not move beyond the vacuum that they now exist and thrive in. Their blogs will probably be the only thing they write to be published.

But there are some, who have the talent and the perserverance to become successful screenwriters. To those, and only those, may you succeed and realize your dreams.

These are our guidelines as to who is not...
and who is...
required to pay us a retainer:

If you are a production company or director with DGA membership and have a history of successful film productions or a screenwriter with WGA membership and a track record of successfully produced screenplays, we will waive the retainer and shop the screenplay on spec with your participation.

If you are not any of the above or do not have any of the above credentials and qualifications we will require a retainer to prepare and shop your screenplay.

OR

If you or another party can perform what’s listed below, we will waive the retainer and shop the screenplay on spec and pay our out of pocket expenses.

1. Research every line and scene of the screenplay to explore for product placement and or merchandising possibilities.
2. Attempt to obtain LOI’S from vendors for possible product placement and possible merchandising.[
3. Create a talent wish list, e.g., director and main cast, and make contact with the talent agents or managers, or in some instances the talent to obtain their LOI’s.
4. Research and compile, the demographics and comparables, in relation to the project.
5. Develope and put together a distribution strategy including P&A[
6. Define financial projections, US and foreign, theatrical, DVD, cable, internet etc.
7. Write the top sheet budget
8. Duplicate @ Fedex-Kinko a minimum of 5-10 scripts, script binding, package and deliver the scripts via: In Person-Messenger-FedEx-USPS.
9. Arrange for, and take meetings with individuals who can move the project to “green-light”
10. For independent productions and or private financing projects, there will be a much larger retainer considering that we must create a Complete Business Plan and write a Full Budget.

This is a very competitive business and there are no guarantees of the success in getting a deal on any project and especially a project if the writer in unknown with no trace record or credentials.

We do not act as your agent
We do not act as your manager
We do not option your script

Last edited by a moderator:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Brava!

That post makes you look like the utmost professional! Where do I send my check?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
So good, I had to see it again, for the third time!
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']To the “bloggers” and “haters” who have put down our company (du Jour Films and Entertainment) because we refuse to extend our services to them for free.

In order to prepare and shop a screenplay there has to be time and money expended by someone.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Why should we spend the money and take the risk to prepare and shop your script? Unless your screenplay is the “Golden Grail” or something of similar value, it has NO VALUE to anyone other than to you, (the author), [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']your friends and your family. [/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If we select to shop your screenplay it is only because we believe that your screenplay has a “commercial value” and that we can [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']refine it, and add the “juice” to it, to make it marketable and attract the interest of a buyer so it will be read and moved to the next level and then hopefully get the green-light for production. [/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Most of the “bloggers” and “haters” will not move beyond the vacuum that they now exist and thrive in. Their blogs will probably be the only thing they write to be published.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']But there are some, who have the talent and the perserverance to become successful screenwriters. [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']To those, and only those, may you succeed and realize your dreams.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']These are our guidelines as to who is not...[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] and who is... [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']required to pay us a retainer:[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If you are a production company or director with DGA membership and have a history ofsuccessful film productions or a [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']screenwriter with WGA membership and a track record of successfully produced screenplays, we will waive the retainer and [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']shop the screenplay on spec with your participation.[/font]

If you are not any of the above or do not have any of the above credentials and qualifications we will require a retainer to prepare and shop your screenplay.

OR

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If you or another party can perform what’s listed below, we will waive the retainer and shop the screenplay on spec and pay our out of pocket expenses.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 1. Research every line and scene of the screenplay to explore for product placement and or merchandising possibilities. [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 2. Attempt to obtain LOI’S from vendors for possible product placement and possible merchandising.[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 3. Create a talent wish list, e.g., director and main cast, and make contact with the talent agents or managers, or in some instances the talent to obtain their LOI’s. [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 4. Research and compile, the demographics and comparables, in relation to the project.[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 5. Develope and put together a distribution strategy including P&A[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 6. Define financial projections, US and foreign, theatrical, DVD, cable, internet etc. [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 7.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Write the top sheet budget[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 8. Duplicate @ Fedex-Kinko a minimum of 5-10 scripts, script binding, package and deliver the scripts via: In Person-Messenger-FedEx-USPS.[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] 9. Arrange for, and take meetings with individuals who can move the project to “green-light” [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']10. Forindependent productions and or private financing projects, there will be a much larger retainer considering that we must [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']create a Complete Business Plan and write a Full Budget. [/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This is a very competitive business and there are no guarantees of the success in getting a deal on any project and especially a project if the writer in unknown with no trace record or credentials.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']We do not act as your agent [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']We do not act as your manager [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']We do not option your script[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']du Jour Films and Entertainment[/font]

[/font]
[/font]

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Robert:

We have all been taught, "Money flows to the writer," and we've been taught by the greats: W.G.A., Miss Snark, Dave Kuzminski, etc.

Sorry about that; it's just the way it is. We avoid fee-charging agents like the Swine Flu.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
ok. Is the poster making fun of the du jour people, or is the post a du jour person who has come here to shake their finger in our face?

And regardless, and I hope I am not out of line when I post this, being sort of new to this board, though I am an old hat at posting on message boards: - dude - when your post goes all scattershins GO BACK IN AND CLEAN IT UP! If you don't, we will just point and laugh at you even louder than before.

Honk if you agree with my post. thank you and good night. I'll be here all week.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
To the “bloggers” and “haters” who have put down our company (du Jour Films and Entertainment) because we refuse to extend our services to them for free.

In order to prepare and shop a screenplay there has to be time and money expended by someone.

Why should we spend the money and take the risk to prepare and shop your script? Unless your screenplay is the “Golden Grail” or something of similar value, it has NO VALUE to anyone other than to you, (the author), your friends and your family.

If we select to shop your screenplay it is only because we believe that your screenplay has a “commercial value” and that we can refine it, and add the “juice” to it, to make it marketable and attract the interest of a buyer so it will be read and moved to the next level and then hopefully get the green-light for production.

Most of the “bloggers” and “haters” will not move beyond the vacuum that they now exist and thrive in. Their blogs will probably be the only thing they write to be published.

But there are some, who have the talent and the perserverance to become successful screenwriters. To those, and only those, may you succeed and realize your dreams.

These are our guidelines as to who is not...
and who is...
required to pay us a retainer:

If you are a production company or director with DGA membership and have a history ofsuccessful film productions or a screenwriter with WGA membership and a track record of successfully produced screenplays, we will waive the retainer and shop the screenplay on spec with your participation.

OR

If you or another party can perform what’s listed below, we will waive the retainer and shop the screenplay on spec and pay our out of pocket expenses.

1. Research every line and scene of the screenplay to explore for product placement and or merchandising possibilities.
2. Attempt to obtain LOI’S from vendors for possible product placement and possible merchandising.
3. Create a talent wish list, e.g., director and main cast, and make contact with the talent agents or managers, or in some instances the talent to obtain their LOI’s.
4. Research and compile, the demographics and comparables, in relation to the project.
5. Develope and put together a distribution strategy including P&A
6. Define financial projections, US and foreign, theatrical, DVD, cable, internet etc.
7.Write the top sheet budget
8. Duplicate @ Fedex-Kinko a minimum of 5-10 scripts, script binding, package and deliver the scripts via: In Person-Messenger-FedEx-USPS.
9. Arrange for, and take meetings with individuals who can move the project to “green-light”
10. Forindependent productions and or private financing projects, there will be a much larger retainer considering that we must create a Complete Business Plan and write a Full Budget.

This is a very competitive business and there are no guarantees of the success in getting a deal on any project and especially a project if the writer in unknown with no trace record or credentials.

We do not act as your agent
We do not act as your manager
We do not option your script

Dude. Learn to limit your HTML tagging. In order to even read your screed I had to strip them out. The rest of your formatting, spelling errors, and other grammatical gaffes I have left intact. To be honest, that you have so many of them does not fill me with inbridled joy that you can, even if I were to pay you, "...refine it, and add the 'juice' to it, to make it marketable and attract the interest of a buyer so it will be read and moved to the next level and then hopefully get the green-light for production."

"Golden Grail" is mixed mythology. Should be "Holy Grail" or "Golden Fleece".

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
http://www.dujourfilms.com/home/

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134810

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=44688

He's been copypasting this to message boards that tell people not to pay him his $350 fee. Interestingly enough, if you follow that last link it appears that every script sent to him is just $350 away from being commercially viable.

His site lists lots of films "in development," a few "optioned" and nothing actually sold, let alone made. Oh, and the stuff he claims to do for your $350 is stuff that producers will do for themselves anyhow and neither need nor want screenwriters to do for them.

jy'lenn

Chaos is a friend of mine.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jfposthumus.blogspot.com
Hmmm... that's curious... I'm not sure how things work in Hollywood, but on the independant sector, they shop around the script and find backers for their stuff. No money is paid out until they get the financial backing to do so. AND the people my fiance' works with can't be but so 'unknown' in the world when my fiance' was on some panels at the NY Comic Con for Lion's Gate due to him being an independant film director. He's also going to the San Diego Comic Con..... (and taking me and the kids with him)

I agree with the others here: if they charge, don't go with them. Look for another agency that'll shop your script around that's more legit.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.