• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rob Weisbach Creative Managment

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone understand what Rob Weisbach Creative Management is, how it is different from other literary agencies, and what are they looking for in writers? Seems like he wants to start a new type of agency, but I can't figure out what it's all about. The website didn't offer submission guidelines, either, just how wonderful this guy is and all the stars he represents. Help!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
He's not planning to be just a literary agency. According to this link he is going to be 'something more'. From the last paragraph in the article:

"[The company] will work with new and established talent on all aspects of career building. The company will help artists fully develop their creative potential, represent their work aggressively across all formats including film and television, train them for media and pursue national exposure on their behalf, and build an overall strategic plan for self-promotion, long-term financial stability and a sustained creative life in the arts."

Sounds kind of strange to me, but maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I can't really speak to the idea, but I can speak towards the man. Rob was my editor with Weinstein Books (as well as its CEO) and he was just fantastic. Very supportive, and very smart, seeing things in my work that needed to be fixed and explaining very clearly why. He's also just a lovely guy to work with and he just loves writers. He also knows EVERYONE in the publishing industry, it's quite impressive. So, I'm not really sure what this venture entails, nor how one as an author gets his representation. It sounds like a combination literary agency, as well as publicist/management setup. But I will say that if you can have the luck of being one of his authors in this venture, it can only be a good thing.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Though no specific guidelines were handy, the contact page offered brief instructions on querying. Just sent off my query for a YA ms today. Keep you posted on response time.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll send off a query too and we'll see what happens.

frandavea: did you submit through the info@ email address, or the representation@ address?

I'm not sure which is which.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll send off a query too and we'll see what happens.

frandavea: did you submit through the info@ email address, or the representation@ address?

I'm not sure which is which.

The representation address. Good luck to you.

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback so far! Today I sent him a query with sample pages and synopsis for my edgy women's fiction ms.

This seems like a VERY COOL concept in literary management, but I guess we have to wait and see how "different and unique" it really will be. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll do the same for you, frandavea and karo.ambrose!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I contacted LitMatch about RWCM also. Got a quick reply and now they have him listed, but they couldn't offer any new information. She suggested in an email that he was considering a wide variety of submissions (as there were no preference or sub guidelines on the site.)
Keeping the faith.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I queried him yesterday. There seemed to be no real guidelines on the website about what kind of fiction he wanted, so I queried a project that seems to have potential as a novel and a movie.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard back from his recently? Response times?

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I heard back within a day to my query with a request for the first fifty pages. Then about a week and a half in, I got some agent feedback about my partial. I emailed him and asked if he hadn't gotten to my submission could I resubmit. He responded within a day and graciously said yes, so I resubmitted about a week and half a go.

So, I'm just playing the waiting game. It seems he responds quickly to emails but just not to submitted work...which the first time around was a plus!!

hawk

Registered
Reaction score
I heard back within a day to my query with a request for the first fifty pages. Then about a week and a half in, I got some agent feedback about my partial. I emailed him and asked if he hadn't gotten to my submission could I resubmit. He responded within a day and graciously said yes, so I resubmitted about a week and half a go.

So, I'm just playing the waiting game. It seems he responds quickly to emails but just not to submitted work...which the first time around was a plus!!
Juneluv12, congrats on getting a foot in the door! I e-queried him on March 17th with synopsis and sample pages...nothing yet, but it's only been three weeks. Still keeping my fingers crossed. ~ hawk

BKL

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, he's different

Rob published my first book, Bitter Ice, when he had his own imprint at Wm. Morrow. My agent then told me he was the best in the business, and he lived up to that hyperbole. He was consistently supportive and encouraging; he assembled a competent, professional and caring team to work with me, and I really like working with him and everyone at Wm. Morrow. The day Harper/Collins bought Wm. Morrow the music stopped. Rob and everyone I'd worked with left, and I and my book were in the hands of people who were incompetent, unprofessinal, and didn't give a damn. The new publicist, for example, took three months to write an adolescent and inaccurate gush in which she got my name wrong and made it obvious she had never read the book.

I count it as a great honor and frankly rather amazing that Rob has kept in touch with me, continues to nudge me along, and is interested in my work. He is savvy, smart, does know everyone and perhaps most important, he's kind and cares about writing and writers. If anyone can live up to the model created by Maxwell Perkins, it's Rob, and I want him to represent me.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I queried him in March, as I say earlier in this thread, and I haven't heard from him yet, at least not that I recall. It's been a tough few weeks for me.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request today from Rob Weisbach from a query I sent on July 2nd. He asked for patience since he has a lot to read. He also didn't specify if he wanted a partial or full, so I just emailed the full. He can always stop reading if he's not loving it. My manuscript is women's fiction/chick lit (heavy on the comedy).

This thread is encouraging. Good luck to all!

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I got a request today from Rob Weisbach from a query I sent on July 2nd. He asked for patience since he has a lot to read. He also didn't specify if he wanted a partial or full, so I just emailed the full. He can always stop reading if he's not loving it. My manuscript is women's fiction/chick lit (heavy on the comedy).

This thread is encouraging. Good luck to all!

Good luck, Keats....still waiting to hear from my partial.....

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
Does anyone have a mailing adr for Rob Weisbach or Creative Management? I have the email adr, but I want to address my query like a business letter (of course) and I can't find his adr anywhere.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
He's lost his good in-house jobs, and he's unlikely to get another one at that level since the economy's tanked, so he's gone for to be an agent.

I see no reason why he couldn't be good at it.

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Anybody with partials or fulls with Mr. Weisbach have information on his wait times? I'm waiting on a partial from April, and I just wondered how he's running. I see in the above post he mentioned he's got a lot of reading, so I didn't know.

Thanks!

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
I got an offer of representation (which turned into 3) and, when I alerted Rob Weisbach, he sent me a very pleasant note saying "congratulations and good luck with your book." I seriously doubt he ever read the full I had emailed on 7/10 but at least he was polite enough to acknowledge the offer alert and to get back to me on the requested deadline (July 31st).

So, in my situation, it was a 21 day wait to hear back but I doubt he read it since his reply gave no indication that he had.

Since he's had your partial for going on 4 months, it's probably perfectly acceptable to send a polite status update asking where you are in his reading queue and when he expects to get to it.

Last edited: