Obama Fearmongering and Nationalizing Health Care.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
That is horrific, CaptShady. I am always horrified to read such stories, whether they happen under a national healthcare system or not. Like when they happen here in the US.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed. And as for the current US system. It is the most expensive in the world, and not the most effective if infant mortality and life expectancy are any guide. Treatment outcomes in the US and UK are the same--it is just that in the UK they are half the price.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
I like paying about the same per month for health insurance as my gas bill. I like that there are no exclusions for pre-existing conditions, or anything at all. I like that I can choose to go to any doctor, any clinic, and private, university or community hospital. I like that prescriptions and dental care are covered. I like that costs are reasonable so that my deductible is about $5 for a doctor visit and yearly checkups and tests based on age, sex and history are almost free. I like that my out of pocket cost for an ambulance ride, MRIs, X-rays and emergency room treatment cost me less than dinner for two. I like that my doctors don't have to worry about getting paid since coverage is so reasonable. I like that no one goes bankrupt since coverage is so reasonable.

My signature below is very appropriate to Americans on this topic.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I like paying about the same per month for health insurance as my gas bill. I like that there are no exclusions for pre-existing conditions, or anything at all. I like that I can choose to go to any doctor, any clinic, and private, university or community hospital. I like that prescriptions and dental care are covered. I like that costs are reasonable so that my deductible is about $5 for a doctor visit and yearly checkups and tests based on age, sex and history are almost free. I like that my out of pocket cost for an ambulance ride, MRIs, X-rays and emergency room treatment cost me less than dinner for two. I like that my doctors don't have to worry about getting paid since coverage is so reasonable. I like that no one goes bankrupt since coverage is so reasonable.

My signature below is very appropriate to Americans on this topic.
That all sounds great, but I have a few questions. How much of the cost of healthcare is actually built into the tax structure? I don't see that factored into your report. You'd have to add your share of that to the monthly figure to get an accurate accounting.

Are all treatment decisions between you and your doctor, or is there a third-party approval as we have with the HMO system? Are the same care facilities available to the average citizen and the political class? Is there a waiting period for common procedures?

Is there a monolithic drug approval process that takes approximately seven years to negotiate? Is there a huge medical cartel paying politicians to stack the deck in their favor?

How's the doctor-patient ratio? Is the barrier to entry for practicing medicine as high as in the US? Are there numerous medical cartels lobbying to keep the number of doctors low and prevent alternative medical practices from gaining a toehold? Is there a drug-suppression agency charged with preventing the use of some alternative herbs?

Is it possible to sue the providers for faulty care? Are the awards for such reasonable, or in the millions of dollars?

Well, that'll do for starters.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
That all sounds great, but I have a few questions. How much of the cost of healthcare is actually built into the tax structure? I don't see that factored into your report. You'd have to add your share of that to the monthly figure to get an accurate accounting.

Insurance covers 70% of costs. Premium is based on income. It's less than 4% of your gross income. Your residence affects cost slightly. In some areas, monthly premiums are a little higher than others, but not more than maybe the equivalence of $5-10. There is a component of local taxes involved in limiting your deductible obligation in a calendar month. The maximum you can pay out of pocket for any month is about double your monthly premium.

Taxes are still substantially less than I paid in the US.

Are all treatment decisions between you and your doctor, or is there a third-party approval as we have with the HMO system? Are the same care facilities available to the average citizen and the political class? Is there a waiting period for common procedures?

Treatment is between me and doctor. There is a maximum cost reimbursement for all procedures. Anyone can go to any facility or doctor they choose. I've never experienced an unreasonable waiting time. I can see a doctor the same day and actually it is very convenient compared to the US. Most are open on the weekends since that is when people can go without missing work/school for non-urgent things. Most are open in the evening also. I just call and they will tell me when to come, or will call me about 30 minutes before I'll be seen. Every doctor and practice is different, but I've never had to wait an unreasonable time.

My wife went through breast cancer treatment (chemo, surgery and radiation therapy) last year and she never waited for anything at any time.

Is there a monolithic drug approval process that takes approximately seven years to negotiate? Is there a huge medical cartel paying politicians to stack the deck in their favor?

Drug approval is slow. Drug companies do not "bribe" doctors with expensive trips to exotic locales to influence prescriptions. Generic brands are always available, but prescription costs are substantially less than in the US.

How's the doctor-patient ratio? Is the barrier to entry for practicing medicine as high as in the US? Are there numerous medical cartels lobbying to keep the number of doctors low and prevent alternative medical practices from gaining a toehold? Is there a drug-suppression agency charged with preventing the use of some alternative herbs?

Don't know ratio, but probably higher than US. It isn't a problem, though. Doctors don't have to baby people like in the US, though. They don't have to hold everyone's hand like they are children or discuss their relationship and feelings about the wart to be removed. Medical school is medical school. Six years plus residency. Alternative medicine is much more widespread than US. Chinese herbal medicine is massive industry.

Is it possible to sue the providers for faulty care? Are the awards for such reasonable, or in the millions of dollars?

Malpractice suits do happen, but they are national news when they occur. Most never go to trial because a there is more of a tendency to admit a mistake and settle. It is not a tort-happy society. Millions of dollar amounts are rare. Lawyers cannot try a civil case based on a contingency fee. Malpractice insurance is much cheaper than in the US.
Well, that'll do for starters.

I should add that normal pregnancy and childbirth is not covered by insurance. Having a baby isn't a disease. Of course, complications trigger coverage. The cost is still not too high. Total cost of normal pre-natal care and delivery is under $2,000 and most of that is reimbursed through different local tax-based programs.

Also, if you run into some financial emergency, you can pay a token amount to maintain insurance.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
not the most effective if infant mortality and life expectancy are any guide.

I don't think you can use infant mortality as a guide. A few years ago in Texas the infant mortality rate was sky-high, but it was primarily caused by Mexican nationals crossing the border to have kids in the USA. A large group of them had some sort of water contamination, if I recall correctly, which caused the newborns to have a brain stem problem. Also, the drug problem in the US also leads to 'Crack babies' and 'meth babies', which isn't the result of the medical system but one of personal irresponsibility.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I must just be living in a different world than some of you.

I know people who have moved to England or Denmark solely so they could get medical coverage.

I know people who were forced into homelessness because of their health conditions.

I know people who whore for their medications. (Not illegal drugs. Health medications.)

I got married two weeks ago after dating my wife for two years. :) But after we'd only known each other a few months, she suggested we get married, whether we stayed together or not, because then her health insurance would cover me. She didn't like the fact that I was paying 40% of my income on things my insurance wouldn't cover, but hers would.

I was tempted. And I know people who are desperate enough that they would have done it.

But that's not the kind of marriage I wanted to have. In the end, we probably waited *longer* to get married because of her suggestion, because I wanted to make sure I was getting married for the right reasons.

I had (dental) surgery yesterday which officially maxed out my credit cards. (The whole balance I've got, and more, is from unreimbursed health care costs. And I have "good" insurance.) Hopefully by the time we have to finish the job my new insurance will kick in.

If you're not seeing these things...I don't know where you're looking, or who you're talking to. It's getting bad out there. The system has to change, because if it doesn't, the dead weight will drag us all down. I don't care how it happens. I don't even care if *I* benefit from it. (I rather suspect that I won't.) My father is a doctor, and even he has started wishing for "socialized medicine" in the last few years. (After being strongly against it for most of his life.) I mean, god forbid you come down with an illness the insurance companies don't like.