Photo in Proposal?

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Larsen writes in his book, How to Write a Book Proposal, that writers should include an 8x10 black and white photo of themselves in the jacket pocket of the proposal. I had a professional photo taken of myself for this purpose and found that the 8x10 is rather, "Here I am, look at me!" but a 5x7 turned out nice, and is more humble and professional looking. However, I am interested to know the opinion of others on the matter. I think that the photo helps an agent to know that I am 'marketable' in appearance. But does anyone think the photo is is a bad idea in general or, if not, why Larsen would suggest it? He did not say why in his book.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
Um...every single agent I've ever seen who has discussed this on a blog or a website has said, very emphatically, "NEVER SEND PICTURES OF YOURSELF." This agent is the exception. So honestly, I would leave it out to be on the safe side.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, just the other day on that Twitter-production, QueryFail, the agents were mocking people who sent photos. Larsen has his reputation, but perhaps his specific advice on that is a bit against the norm.

I'd agree with RedInk and skip it.

Last edited:

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Y...the agents were mocking people who sent photos. Larsen has his reputation, but perhaps his specific advice on that is a bit against the norm.

I'd agree with RedInk and skip it.

Thank goodness I asked but I have to wonder how much else in Larsen's book was a big no no. I wrote my proposal according to his advice, which did correlate with other agent's advice on writing a proposal. But if anyone knows of another Larsen no no, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Big thanks to Perks and Red.ink.Rain for the replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm really wondering why Mr. Larsen though that was a good idea? It really shouldn't matter at all the author looks like.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book by him in which he suggests sending along your favorite book to an agent as a gift which is contrary to what many other agents say.

I could see sending the photo if it were relevant, in some way, to a nonfiction proposal but for most cases, I wouldn't imagine it would be necessary.

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
I have a book by him in which he suggests sending along your favorite book to an agent as a gift which is contrary to what many other agents say.
That's pretty strange. What if the book is a total turn-off to the agent? I think that Larsen is the guy who also suggests sending a small gift of some sort inside the proposal, one that is linked somehow to the manuscript being pitched. When I read this, I thought it was pretty unfavorable advice. But most everything else in How to Write a Book Proposal seemed like good suggestions for a proposal.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/articles/archives/2009/02/preparation-is-key.shtml

Read the link in this post, it's from a woman who posts to this board as "Old Hack" and recounts some... interesting... things sent along with queries.

I'd also recommend you look up and read an old blog by an anon agent named "Miss Snark" as well as Janet Reid's "Query Shark". Both - along with SYW here - will help you fix out a query to current standards.

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Cyia, that was a good read. It definately answered my question about the photo and reaffirmed no gifts (not that I was thinking of doing that). I laughed out loud when I read about the innapropriate submissions that she received. She writes: "My favourite submission was an illustrated children's book which I think was about trolls: but I couldn't be sure because it was written in Dutch, and no translation was provided."

:D

Last edited:

Megs123

Registered
Reaction score
That explains why some people send pics of themselves to agents. I've always wondered why anybody would do something like that.

Always best to put aside the 'How to' books and check out the websites of the agents or publishers you intend to query. Most agents and editors explain exactly what they want in a proposal/query. Some offer examples you can eyeball. More importantly - you know that anything on their blogs/websites will be up to date information and apply specifically to them.

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Always best to put aside the 'How to' books and check out the websites of the agents or publishers you intend to query. Most agents and editors explain exactly what they want in a proposal/query. Some offer examples you can eyeball. More importantly - you know that anything on their blogs/websites will be up to date information and apply specifically to them.

I do check each website for the agents but the Larsen book does give detailed information about writing a proposal that the agent websites do not help you with. Larsen's book is pretty high ranked and got the proposal of a friend of mine past the gate keepers and to an editor. Her book is now published. There is always good and bad in everything.