Richard Matheson

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I just discovered Richard Matheson. I borrowed the book I Am Legend a long time a go from a friend and just recently read it and the other short stories that were included. I was amazed.

I had seen I Am Legend, Stir of Echos and Dance of the Dead but never put any of these things together until I read that book.

I just wanted to shed some light on this author.

P.S.

For those of you that didn't know, I Am Legend was published in 1954. I know! Crazy!

Last edited:

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of Richard Matheson's work for more than thirty years now. Much of his work has been filmed one way or another - many short stories became classic episodes of The Twilight Zone ("Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", Shatner vs. the gremlin; or "Little Girl Lost", which some say might have inspired the "Poltergeist" movie; etc.) Some other notable movies based on his books include "Somewhere in Time" and "What Dreams May Come".

My favorites among his novels include, of course, "I Am Legend" (filmed three times), "The Shrinking Man" (became the classic '50's movie "The Incredible Shrinking Man") and "Hell House" (filmed as "The Legend of Hell House" in 1973.)

If you're just now discovering Matheson's work, I envy you the journey.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I'm a one of a kind guy around here (where I live). I'm the one that suggests things for people to read... most of the people I know haven't ever finished a novel. Its sad but true, I'm trying to be the glue. AHAH! Rhyming is fun!

Last edited:

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
I've read some of Matheson's short stories but not his novels. I am Legend is on my list.

Stephen King, in his nonfiction book Danse Macabre (about the horror genre of the last 50 years) goes on and on about Matheson and I am Legend. The book is clearly one of King's main influences.

Danse Macabre, by the way, is quite entertaining.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I read part of Danse Macabre when I was younger, WAY younger. I don't remember much about it, all I know is that Richard Matheson and Stephen King are both great influences of mine.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King, in his nonfiction book Danse Macabre (about the horror genre of the last 50 years) goes on and on about Matheson and I am Legend. The book is clearly one of King's main influences.

Richard Matheson is clearly the writer Stephen King wants to be. Alas, despite his prodigious talent, Stephen King lacks the discipline to be that writer, except in spurts. Mesuspects that his phenomenal success has made it impossible for him to do so.

caw

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
Perhaps one of these days Mr. King will sneak off into a dark corner and write something as pleasing to the mind buds as Mr. Matheson, and hopefully he can keep a psudonym a little bit better.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I hated that one, even more because of the title. I think I finished reading it (I usually do), but my memory refuses to cooperate.

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
I love Matheson's work, too. I read I Am Legend, and I was so amazed (kept telling my family about how much I liked it and they were like, "Shut up, already!"). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loved it.

Porphry

Registered
Reaction score
From his work on TZ and The Shrinking Man, through the Kolchak series and his anthologies; Matheson is huge. (I went from "I Am Legend" to "Hell House" in my early readings. For Trilogy of Terror fans (and almost everybody likes the same part of that show) "Prey" is the short story about the little tiki doll.

His short stories are excellent as well, and recommended (especially if you like horror stories).

Po

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
I keep debating on whether or not I want to read I am Legend again, its like watching a really really good movie or playing an amazing videogame... its just good, like chili cheese fritos and bean dip.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I started reading Matheson about the time the movie, The Incredible Shrinking Man came out, and went searching for his novels. I've been a fan ever since. I was a teenager, and used to carry a piece of paper with me when I was looking for books to read. The paper had a list of authors I was looking for: Matheson, P.K. Dick, Clark, Asimov, Heinlein, etc.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Never saw the move. Just recently read the book. It was okay.

Don't get me wrong. Matheson writes me under the table, but after all I'd heard about it, I was disappointed. It simply wasn't that horrific to me.

*leaves before the stoning commences*

Porphry

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tom Johnson:

Depends on what kind of copy of Matheson you are looking for, but most of his novels are still available in either reader or collector copies. I usually just pick up reader copies of Matheson. I have so many writers and various books I collect at the moment-- I cannot imagine adding another, most especially someone like Matheson (started writing in the 50s, and has a long list of works published untul his death).

Poisonshift-- I have read it more than once, but afterwards you might consider going and picking up one of his short story collections. Great reads in there as well, likely more than one of which will be familar if you watch a lot of horror movies.

Po

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here actually finish a James Clavell book?
Shogun, Tai-Pan, and I think one or two more in the series.
It's been a while so forgive my memory blanks.

If you're looking for long, LONG complicated books which span generations, read James Michener.

Last edited:

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
When you are a teenager and just getting into science fiction, novels like The Shrinking Man can blow you away. It did me. Now that I'm much older (sigh), those early novels don't do as much for me any more. But back then - Wow! I remember trying to read P.K. Dick's "The World Jones Made" and couldn't understand it. Heck, I had a hard time understanding anything Dick wrote back then. But later I really began to enjoy his writing. Perspective has something to do with age, maybe.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've read them, but I doubt I would find things like I Am Legend or The Shrinking Man losing any power. If Richard Matheson's work suffers at all, it's more likely from overexposure to everyone who's been imitating him or building on work he pioneered more than fifty years ago.

poisonshift

Resident Zombie Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uzdb.forummotion.net
It's been a while since I've read them, but I doubt I would find things like I Am Legend or The Shrinking Man losing any power. If Richard Matheson's work suffers at all, it's more likely from overexposure to everyone who's been imitating him or building on work he pioneered more than fifty years ago.
Where would one begin to poineer these days?