10 kids drink windshield wiper fliud at DayCare

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090313/ap_on_re_us/windshield_fluid_sickness

Ten children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care served it from a container mistaken for Kool-Aid and placed in a refrigerator, authorities said Friday.
The day care owner surrendered her state license, meaning she wouldn't be able to take care of children in the future, said Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services

It was an accident, the wiper fluid got grabbed out of a shopping bag with the groceries, and put up like punch in the fridge, and so far 9 of the kids are out of the hospital. 1 is still under observation.

Two things about this:

There's a popular low cost cleaning agent (at least here) that looks like bottles of Gatorade. It's in bright colors and even has a similarly shaped bottle. The news ran a story on it last year because in multiple homes, kids found the stuff either under cabinets or on pantry floors and assumed it was an energy drink. They downed a couple of gulps before they realized it wasn't.

The other thing (sort of off topic, but not really) is that people need to be especially careful what they put in their kids' bags when they send them to daycare. I know a woman who had one of these in home daycares and one of the moms stuck a bottle of ipecac into the baby's bag (she took it with her when she took the baby out) and didn't tell the caregiver. The rule of the house was that all medications stay out of reach of the kids, well since she didn't know it was there, the bag went on the pile with the others.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Wow. Now THAT is a nightmare.

windex-refill.jpg

87e3468722248780951f09c1a1e659c30p.jpg

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you have to be a complete bonehead to recognize a bottle of windshield washer fluid.

The child-safe cap on it should've been their first clue.

Calling this an "accident" is ludicrous.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
There aren't always child safe caps on cleaners. Shouldn't the worker have read the label before serving up the "drink" to at least make sure she has say the correct drink. I know I always do and I'm not checking to make sure it's not washing fluid.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume it was more the gallon jug style of container, which does look like koolaide, what seems odd to me is the 1oz intake. That's a very precise and very unusual amount to drink. Most kids' cups are 4-6 oz.

PeakWindshieldWasherFluidAmazon_Ful.jpg

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW -- here's the cleaner I was talking about. It looks and is shaped like a drink bottle. They're small bottles, too.

fabuloso.jpg

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There aren't always child safe caps on cleaners. Shouldn't the worker have read the label before serving up the "drink" to at least make sure she has say the correct drink. I know I always do and I'm not checking to make sure it's not washing fluid.

My worst fear is that the day care made it a habit to (yeesh!) re-use empty gallong-jugs to mix up super-large batches of powedered Kool-Aid, and so the daycare workers might very well have been accustomed to seeing actual beverages inside the fridge, yet contained in such re-cycled packaging.

I know that when I sued -- oops! typo!! used to work my many different food service jobs in college, we would re-use those white 5-gallon food service containers to mix up 4-gallon batches of iced tea, etc. And that was even true when we were catering a 5-star gig at a la-dee-dah mansion with tuxedos and white gloves.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
My second, more important, question is...who the hell puts windshield washer fluid in the refridgerator?

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Child proof lids are by no means 100% safe, that aside though, how on earth does someone mix up windshield wiper fluid with a child's drink? Child care workers should be double - triple - checking everything, parents entrust their children's care to these people, the least they can do is put more effort into not poisoning them.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Okay, I have never seen a bottle of juice sold in a store that looks like a bottle of windshield wiper fluid. I've stocked the juice aisle and I've stocked wiper fluid. Maybe it's just the store I used to work at, but they are different-- even the ones that were close were orange or red, not blue. I suppose there are some people who wouldn't notice that the labels are different. (That's mind boggling to me, but my Hubby can be that unobservant at times.)

At least the kids realized what they were drinking wasn't juice.

And, you know, I never did understand why FOOD items are colored these absurd flavors. It doesn't make it taste any better.

This may be an accident, and I can see how one might end up with an odd item in the fridge. (Ask my Hubby where he's left the TV remote!) But, to get the bottle out, open it, pour ten cups worth and NOT NOTICE THE LABEL OR SHAPE? Unless, they're reusing bottles, and that thought just sickens me. I would never be comfortable with that-- what if you didn't wash it out well enough? Especially with kids, who can't always tolerate what big people can.

How unfortunate for these kids. And I do feel a little bad for this woman who just made a career-ending mistake. Those are always tough. Especially since this could just be a collection of errors, rather than anything intentionally harmful. =(

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see a kid swallowing something that tastes like soap.

YUCK.

How old were the kids?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A thirsty kid with a mouthful of crackers will gulp something down before they taste it. Of course, most wiper fluid has a distinct smell that the adult should have caught.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
a mouthful of crackers

oh. we weren't allowed to "wash our food down".

wonder if they had any spewage. at least one kid was sure to have a gag reflex.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
what seems odd to me is the 1oz intake. That's a very precise and very unusual amount to drink. Most kids' cups are 4-6 oz.

Each kid was probably given a cup filled with at least 4 ounces, but all it took was one sip for them all to go YUCK!!! and refuse to drink the rest.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
My Rainx wiper fluid looks like a delicious orange drink every time I refill it....but the obvious ammonia smell is a good sign that it's not.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My second, more important, question is...who the hell puts windshield washer fluid in the refridgerator?

I was wondering that too. I guess maybe the dimwit thought it was koolaid when it came out of the grocery bag. But I bought a gallon of bright blue washer fluid just yesterday, and it ain't like the label is misleading or hard to notice, ya know?

Meantime, has everybody seen a picture of this place?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29675664

Wanna send your kid there?

caw

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
FWIW -- here's the cleaner I was talking about. It looks and is shaped like a drink bottle. They're small bottles, too.

fabuloso.jpg

I'll have to admit that these bottles do look like beverages of some sort, and hope that I'd never mistake them and drink them, but you never know ...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

fabuloso.jpg

I'll have to admit that these bottles do look like beverages of some sort, and hope that I'd never mistake them and drink them, but you never know ...
From that photo alone, you'd have a hard time convincing me those (four identical size but differently colored bottles, purple, yellow, blue, green) are NOT beverages of four different flavors. Perhaps some drink company will sue them on something like Trade Dress and they'll have to radically change the look (and colors!) of their bottles.

My worst fear is that the day care made it a habit to (yeesh!) re-use empty gallong-jugs to mix up super-large batches of powedered Kool-Aid, and so the daycare workers might very well have been accustomed to seeing actual beverages inside the fridge, yet contained in such re-cycled packaging.

I know that when I sued -- oops! typo!! used to work my many different food service jobs in college, we would re-use those white 5-gallon food service containers to mix up 4-gallon batches of iced tea, etc. And that was even true when we were catering a 5-star gig at a la-dee-dah mansion with tuxedos and white gloves.
I've seen at least one local TV news story about big-name fast-food chain restaurants that haven't cleaned their tea dispensers in months or years, and I recall some concern about how ice is made and dumped into the tops of those soft-drink fountains from the usual five-gallon buckets.

Now I'm hesitating to keep going back to Subway for their "Fresh Value Meal," $3.99 for the 6-inch sandwich of the day, chips and a (fountain) drink. If only I could get a proportional discount on the sub without the drink...

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wouldn't the teacher smell it?

I used to drink juice along with my students. Now i am glad I did, because I would have noticed. But We also used juice from its original jug.