• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Paradigm Talent Agency

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Is Jason Yarn a no response=no agent? And anybody got an idea on how long to wait before calling it a no?

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
As far as I know he is always sending a response with some comments, even if he is rejecting your work. My WIP is with him since the end of July and I also haven't got any response, but right now we're writing August. And in August everyone is on vacation, so don't count for a miracle before September. :)

Last edited:

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
Partial. This was the time table...

Query - 7/12
Partial Request - 7/22
Partial Sent - 7/26

By the way I've heard only good about Jason. As I heard he is a trustworthy and kind agent who always send some feedback. And my experience, based on his letter, is the same what I heard about him.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! And the time table helps. I've still got plenty of time to hear something, then.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

For Paradigm, the URL says to e-mail [email protected] and send 10 pages. On Agent Query it lists Alyssa's e-mail and says two chapters.

Can anyone who queried Alyssa with any degree of success tell me which they did? Thanks and good luck!

Probably too late to help but I sent ten pages and got an encouraging personalized response (no request though), liked the writing but didn't feel attached.

Captain Monday

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I queried Jason on July 14th; as of right now, I've had no response from him. I can't seem to find any consensus on his response time frame (although I will admit I didn't read most of this thread). Is there anyone who queried around the same time I did who's gotten a response?

Thanks very much!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I queried Jason on 8/9 and haven't heard a response yet (although he did e-mail me immediately after I sent the query to ask me to add in 5 pages).

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
I've just confused myself. I checked back to see when I queried Jason Yarn, and saw that I sent my query to [email protected], but QT says to send it to [email protected].

Did I send to the wrong address? (I'm wondering where I got that one from.)

Captain Monday

Registered
Reaction score
Hooray, response! But it took 12 weeks. And it was a rejection. Oh well, another day, another query to be sent.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to send a query to Jason today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Brendon Jacobs

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First of all, what's a YA? A bit lost with that. And also I sent a query to Yarn on the 11th (bad idea to send on a Friday I know but due to time zone differences it was Thursday by him when I sent it).

Haven't heard anything yet but before that I have gotten a few R responses. Although it is a rough book set in war (which we all know is not pretty) and it is adaptable to an action movie.

Relating to the few R responses could it be the query it's self? Please someone help here? Thanks... :)

Brendon Jacobs

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I decided not to do the rewrite Mr. Yarn has asked for. He answered my questions explaining what he wished corrected, and a part of his explanation confirmed my concern that the revision would strip the book of its individuality. He commented on the book's strong voice (positively) and then said that he liked the voice exactly in the parts he was not comfortable with and wanted re-written. Well, wouldn't it dull the book? Remove those parts = no voice left.

So, I'm not pursuing Paradigm.

I know what you mean. Got a funny feeling that rejections from other agents is due to the dialouge in the story. Eg: Key words are highlighted in red for dramatic effect and hell does it work. But maybe some people think it's too epic to handle?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Hi everyone. First of all, what's a YA? A bit lost with that. And also I sent a query to Yarn on the 11th (bad idea to send on a Friday I know but due to time zone differences it was Thursday by him when I sent it).

Haven't heard anything yet but before that I have gotten a few R responses. Although it is a rough book set in war (which we all know is not pretty) and it is adaptable to an action movie.

Relating to the few R responses could it be the query it's self? Please someone help here? Thanks... :)

Hey, welcome to AW.

YA=young adult

If you think your query letter might not be getting you requests, you can post it in the Share Your Work forum (SYW) and get feedback. They're brutal over there but worth it ;)

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Got a funny feeling that rejections from other agents is due to the dialouge in the story. Eg: Key words are highlighted in red for dramatic effect and hell does it work. But maybe some people think it's too epic to handle?

Not epic, maybe gimmicky. Dialogue should speak for itself in plain black and white.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be viewed in the same manner that too many italics used in dialogue to make words stand out (or capitalizing words), and that's basically as Cyia said. Generally speaking, aside from the occasional word that does need emphasis for meaning or because it's difficult to tell otherwise, the dialogue itself should be able to carry it without needing it. It tends to be very distracting, and actually is probably one thing about comic books that used to annoy me. Now I just ignore it, which isn't what you want, either.

Something else to consider, though, is that any extra formatting being sent in the body of an email can end up completely garbled when it comes out the other side. I don't use any italics in my email submissions, even where they exist in the actual manuscript. The first line of my story is actually italicized, but instead I put quotation marks around it to prevent it from being hit by formatting errors. I'd very seriously consider taking things like this out because you could really be hurting your chances if the pages you are sending are unreadable.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Congrats, Cyia, I am so happy for you! Wishing you all the best of the best!!!!

Still waiting to hear from Jason. Queried him over two weeks ago. It could be a while before I hear from him, or never.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Jason's now closed to queries for the immediate future.

Lots of kidlets being born into the agent world at the moment, and lots of agents taking time off for them.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
Actually, Jason posted this on AgentQuery. :) I think it's ok if anyone wants to show him an updated version of proposal.

I am closed to queries until August 5 due to the imminent arrival of my first child. If you’ve queried me before now, I will respond to you. If you have an update to a previous query to tell me about, please resend with UPDATE in the subject line.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
According to a reply I just received, Jason doesn't consider an updated submission --- even though you have rewritten the entire manuscript for a dozen of times.

Well that is upsetting, but guess he is open to new projects of the same writer?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
starscape,

Most agents only accept resubmits by invitation. They'll say it plainly in the initial rejection.

An "update" to an existing query isn't a resubmission. It's an offer of representation from another agent or something similar.