Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Paradigm Talent Agency

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    Where are you guys getting your info? Is there a list of books they rep anywhere, query guidelines, names of agents, what they are looking for, anything like that?

Also, did anyone see this? From the "most influential fake Hollywood news source."

Go to Agent Query and search.

practical experience, FTW Laura Lond's Avatar
    I got an email from Mr. Yarn stating that he has received my query, will review it and get back to me. It was not an autoreply, either. I am impressed.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    I did go to Agent Query. The only agent that came up was Alyssa Reuben. It says she wants sample chapters, which contradicts what it says on the webpage. Jason Yarn is not on Agent Query.

Yes, I checked AQ as well, and Jason is not there for some reason...

From what I can tell, Jason yarn was the assistant to Lydia Wills - who was basically Paradigm's only lit agent for years. (She had like 95% of the agency's listed sales, Jason has the other 5% the last time I checked.) Now he's an agent himself.

ETA -- info from publisher's marketplace (though it's a few months old)
    <----Look! NEW BOOK!

Alyssa's profile on AQ was just created this week. Perhaps the agency hasn't had a chance to update their website.

We writers are sharks. We know stuff.

We have to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    Where are you guys getting your info? Is there a list of books they rep anywhere, query guidelines, names of agents, what they are looking for, anything like that?...
    Go here. They're mostly Hollywood, but their books division is more than encouraging enough. I came across them whilst looking into the Bob Mould biography deal (which I cannot wait to read!). They've got some impressive potatoes.

Their website does the opposite of advertising what you're asking, which is clearly intentional. New and seeking agents at uber-connected agencies are an awesome find.

Jason Yarn passed, but with feedback I loved and am incorporating into requested revisions (different agent) I'm polishing up now. He was fast as hell, too. He may be slower now--it's been a few months--but I'm psyched I submitted to him.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

I'll jump on the "I got a request from Paradigm too!" bandwagon. I sent a query to Alyssa 2 weeks ago around the time her AQ profile went up and got a request for a full yesterday. Jason Yarn seems to respond quickly to requested material...Does anyone know is Alyssa is the same?

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeatsLove View Post
    I'll jump on the "I got a request from Paradigm too!" bandwagon. I sent a query to Alyssa 2 weeks ago around the time her AQ profile went up and got a request for a full yesterday. Jason Yarn seems to respond quickly to requested material...Does anyone know is Alyssa is the same?
    Agents respond quickly when they first start out, but after that they get bogged down like most agents. Still, in only 2 weeks she can't have more than a dozen fulls ahead of you.

What happened to my LIFE?! childeroland's Avatar
    Still waiting to hear back.
    Perhaps the most amazing thing about the universe is that we could create an infinite catalogue of things, worlds and beings that no one has seen and which do not exist. Each story in the realm of fiction is a small part of that catalogue.

I use QueryTracker.net to keep track of my queries and submissions. Alyssa was listed there either the same day or the day after AQ got her listing up. As of this morning, the stats on QT show 22 queries sent and only 2 replies -- one rejection, one full request (mine). She's probably just now working through the flood of queries sent from when her info went out on the agent database sites.

I'm still waiting to hear back from her.

I got a rejection from Ayssa earlier this week after 14 days
    The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery available now.

My website

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants Juneluv12's Avatar
    I queried on June 10th, so I guess I'll hear in a few days...

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky

Alyssa's had my full for exactly two weeks today.

I am still waiting to hear from Jason. He was quick to acknowledge the receipt of my query, but there has been nothing since. I suppose they are swamped.

Sent a query to Alyssa today. Sometimes I can't help myself...I find someone new, and I just go for it.

I do that too neener. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that - we keep querying until we've got an offer, right?

Received this today......sigh:

Thank you for reaching out to me. While I believe your concept sounds saleable, it is not quite what I'm looking for. I wish you best of luck with finding the right agent to represent it properly in this difficult marketplace

Kind regards,
    Alyssa

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianGoddess View Post
    Received this today......sigh:

Thank you for reaching out to me. While I believe your concept sounds saleable, it is not quite what I'm looking for. I wish you best of luck with finding the right agent to represent it properly in this difficult marketplace
    Ah feel yore pain. Jason Yarn rejected my partial. And though he actually did read it (he mentioned one of the characters by name), it was still just a case of "I ultimately did not think it was right for me." No real feedback.

Oh, well, on to the next.

I heard back from Jason today, it's a "No," but he would take a look at a revision, and he has told me specifically what he would like to see changed. I don't know... On one hand, a revision request is a good thing, but on the other, I think the changes would weaken "the voice" that appears to be so important. In fact, another agent has just commented on how he liked the main character's connection with the reader; well, the requested changes would certainly affect that connection. Don't know what to do.

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    My opinionated opinion, take or leave as you choose.

I had one agent say how much she connected with my characters, naming individuals and traits. I had another say my characters were completely bland. It's personal preference. The agent I signed with gives me extravagant compliments about my characters.

Why not try what he's suggesting? Save your book as an alt and go for it. If you decide that it won't work, all you've lost is a few days. Your original will be intact. And if it does work--well, then, you have a second chance waiting for you. God luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lond View Post
    I heard back from Jason today, it's a "No," but he would take a look at a revision, and he has told me specifically what he would like to see changed. I don't know... On one hand, a revision request is a good thing, but on the other, I think the changes would weaken "the voice" that appears to be so important. In fact, another agent has just commented on how he liked the main character's connection with the reader; well, the requested changes would certainly affect that connection. Don't know what to do.

Thanks Lily. I will probably take some time to think and then revise - having saved the original, of course.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast