Read books by AWers!
I got an email from Mr. Yarn stating that he has received my query, will review it and get back to me. It was not an autoreply, either. I am impressed.
I did go to Agent Query. The only agent that came up was Alyssa Reuben. It says she wants sample chapters, which contradicts what it says on the webpage. Jason Yarn is not on Agent Query.
Yes, I checked AQ as well, and Jason is not there for some reason...
From what I can tell, Jason yarn was the assistant to Lydia Wills - who was basically Paradigm's only lit agent for years. (She had like 95% of the agency's listed sales, Jason has the other 5% the last time I checked.) Now he's an agent himself.
ETA -- info from publisher's marketplace (though it's a few months old)
Alyssa's profile on AQ was just created this week. Perhaps the agency hasn't had a chance to update their website.
here. They're mostly Hollywood, but their books division is more than encouraging enough. I came across them whilst looking into the Bob Mould biography deal (which I cannot wait to read!). They've got some impressive potatoes.
Their website does the opposite of advertising what you're asking, which is clearly intentional. New and seeking agents at uber-connected agencies are an awesome find.
Jason Yarn passed, but with feedback I loved and am incorporating into requested revisions (different agent) I'm polishing up now. He was fast as hell, too. He may be slower now--it's been a few months--but I'm psyched I submitted to him.
Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
I'll jump on the "I got a request from Paradigm too!" bandwagon. I sent a query to Alyssa 2 weeks ago around the time her AQ profile went up and got a request for a full yesterday. Jason Yarn seems to respond quickly to requested material...Does anyone know is Alyssa is the same?
Still waiting to hear back.
Perhaps the most amazing thing about the universe is that we could create an infinite catalogue of things, worlds and beings that no one has seen and which do not exist. Each story in the realm of fiction is a small part of that catalogue.
I use QueryTracker.net to keep track of my queries and submissions. Alyssa was listed there either the same day or the day after AQ got her listing up. As of this morning, the stats on QT show 22 queries sent and only 2 replies -- one rejection, one full request (mine). She's probably just now working through the flood of queries sent from when her info went out on the agent database sites.
I got a rejection from Ayssa earlier this week after 14 days
The Right Hand Rule available now.
The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery available now.
Alyssa's had my full for exactly two weeks today.
I am still waiting to hear from Jason. He was quick to acknowledge the receipt of my query, but there has been nothing since. I suppose they are swamped.
Sent a query to Alyssa today. Sometimes I can't help myself...I find someone new, and I just go for it.
I do that too neener. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that - we keep querying until we've got an offer, right?
Received this today......sigh:
Thank you for reaching out to me. While I believe your concept sounds saleable, it is not quite what I'm looking for. I wish you best of luck with finding the right agent to represent it properly in this difficult marketplace
I heard back from Jason today, it's a "No," but he would take a look at a revision, and he has told me specifically what he would like to see changed. I don't know... On one hand, a revision request is a good thing, but on the other, I think the changes would weaken "the voice" that appears to be so important. In fact, another agent has just commented on how he liked the main character's connection with the reader; well, the requested changes would certainly affect that connection. Don't know what to do.
My opinionated opinion, take or leave as you choose.
I had one agent say how much she connected with my characters, naming individuals and traits. I had another say my characters were completely bland. It's personal preference. The agent I signed with gives me extravagant compliments about my characters.
Why not try what he's suggesting? Save your book as an alt and go for it. If you decide that it won't work, all you've lost is a few days. Your original will be intact. And if it does work--well, then, you have a second chance waiting for you. God luck!
Second to Nun is in stores now. Haunted lighthouses and murder!
The Redeemers are here to haunt your nightmares! Read with ALL the lights on!
Thanks Lily. I will probably take some time to think and then revise - having saved the original, of course.