• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Paradigm Talent Agency

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Um... that's 9/9. Unless anyone rejected hasn't spoken up, it appears 100% of his queries have turned into partial requests.

I'll let you know. I queried last night!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hold on. Is an "R" a Request, or a -- or do we not say it? Do we simply call it "the R word"? Sorry, I'm a one-month newbie.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, got it.

David, yours was "definitely not YA"? Mebbe that was it. What kind of project did you pitch if you don't mind saying?

Carmilla73

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I also got a request for a partial, and I am most definately not YA. Mine is paranormal romance. I got my request on March 13th, within an hour of querying. Haven't gotten a reject yet. Fingers crossed!!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This guy's vacuuming up queries like stray marbles!

Norligh

Registered
Reaction score
Too Tempting

Hi!

I sent in my query also. I'll let you know whether I get the dreaded R or a request. My book is a YA urban fantasy.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He's probably working on building a client list.

It's still interesting, because Paradigm is one exclusive agency. I have some screenwriting friends who would cut off a limb to get a read from them. He's probably a young, new agent, not easily spotted among the titans. This was a fantastic tip from Giant Baby.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
It's still interesting, because Paradigm is one exclusive agency. I have some screenwriting friends who would cut off a limb to get a read from them. He's probably a young, new agent, not easily spotted among the titans.

How many literary agents are there at Paradigm? I only see two.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
How many literary agents are there at Paradigm? I only see two.

And you're seeing more than I'm seeing! I don't know how many book agents they have, but they claim to boast a full range of services and representation for writers, directors, actors, musicians, authors, and financiers, so I'm thinking they have a big enough literary department. They rep 33 theatrical playwrights, and their L.A. office alone (they're also in New York, Nashville, and Monterey) has 67 agents and 149 employees total.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
And you're seeing more than I'm seeing! I don't know how many book agents they have, but they claim to boast a full range of services and representation for writers, directors, actors, musicians, authors, and financiers, so I'm thinking they have a big enough literary department. They rep 33 theatrical playwrights, and their L.A. office alone (they're also in New York, Nashville, and Monterey) has 67 agents and 149 employees total.

The lit agents are in New York, and according to publisher's marketplace, there are at least 2 Lydia Wills and Jason Yarn. The last reported sale for Ms. Wills is in 2007, but Paradigm may not feel the need to report all of their sales.

They're a major talent agency (2nd tier according to someone I know in LA, but still a BIG deal).

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The lit agents are in New York, and according to publisher's marketplace, there are at least 2 Lydia Wills and Jason Yarn. The last reported sale for Ms. Wills is in 2007, but Paradigm may not feel the need to report all of their sales.

They're a major talent agency (2nd tier according to someone I know in LA, but still a BIG deal).

According to PM Dealmaker, Paradigm had 89 book deals in the past 5 years, with 83 by Lydia and the balance by Jason, the latest being last month. It appears that many of these were books by Paradigm talent--actors, comedians, screenwriters, etc. Perhaps there's not enough of that to keep them busy anymore. There certainly was last year during the writers' strike.

From the LA Times: "Lydia Wills at Paradigm agreed that 'back-burner projects' are now getting more attention, noting a surge in 'book pitches and novel writing' among her agency's Hollywood clientele...But although the strike has given screenwriters who've long had novels percolating in their heads the impetus to finally get the darn things written, there's also a cruel reality: Because book fees are small change compared with the big payoff of a Hollywood script, it's a treacherous hedge, a gamble on something that might not even cover one month's rent, let alone a house note."

Ouch.

According to Linkedin, Lydia is a graduate of Yale and has worked at Paradigm since 2004 (she came onboard with the acquisition of Writers and Artists Group International), while Jason is a graduate of Georgetown and has six years with the company. Two literary agents, but obviously they're not the only staff, as Paradigm has leased the entire 16th floor of 360 Park Avenue South.

Last edited:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's interesting about books vs. screenplays. Is anyone here a book author and screenwriter? Or prepared to turn your book into a screenplay?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting about books vs. screenplays. Is anyone here a book author and screenwriter? Or prepared to turn your book into a screenplay?

Yep. But then, I write romcoms, so I think it's illegal not to think of them that way.

Well, actually it was some advice Jeff Kleinman (from FOLIO) once gave me about adapted screenplays making better books that spurred me to make a better book, but it's still probably illegal.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

I write both (or at least attempt to ;) ). The screenplays aren't generally related to the books, but I am trying to convert one SP that ran long into a novel.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid I've broken the 100%.

Query R just received.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS CYIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm curious, you got a link to a query or a first chapter I can check out?

I haven't heard back from Jason yet.

Sorry to hear that, firedrake. Keep on querying!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS CYIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm curious, you got a link to a query or a first chapter I can check out?

I haven't heard back from Jason yet.

Sorry to hear that, firedrake. Keep on querying!

It's not posted anywhere, but I'll PM you the 1st chapter. ;)