Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AW listed on Whispers & Warnings--for 2nd time

practical experience, FTW

AW listed on Whispers & Warnings--for 2nd time

Absolute Write has been listed on Writers' Weekly's Whispers and Warnings page for nonpayment of course instructors -- for the second time. In my case, I've been waiting for payment for over a year for students I've taught, and MacAllister has ignored several e-mails and invoices.

Info here: http://forums.writersweekly.com/view...ht=macallister

And if you're interested in taking my course on breaking into magazines, I'm still offering it -- just not through AW.

Linda

--
    Linda Formichelli * http://www.lindaformichelli.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/LFormichelli
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/716/478
    Renegade Writer Blog: http://www.therenegadewriter.com

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Hi Linda -

I've sent you several emails, and so has my webmaster - none of which YOU'VE responded to.

I'm perfectly happy to leave this post stand, although there are some discrepancies between your records and mine.

I've been pretty frank about AW no longer soliciting any articles or offering classes because we finished 2008 quite deeply in the red. I've been paying off that debt out of pocket, as I can -- although I'm only too aware that no one is being paid nearly as quickly as they'd like.

As for further discussion of the details of what AW owes you, you're cordially invited to PM me here, since your emails don't seem to be reaching me.

Mac
    Last edited by MacAllister; 03-10-2009 at 07:05 AM.

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Reported for non-payment, yes, but I see the first one was resolved professionally.

I hope everything is resolved to satisfaction soon.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Meh.

In the interests of transparency because you guys deserve that from me or anyone else in a situation like this, (and because I'm currently doing paperwork for taxes) AW finished out 2008 just over $8K in the red. I've so far paid off between 5-6K out of pocket, through personal loans, and otherwise as I can.

In this case, I strongly suspect an email screw-up has exacerbated the situation, and I can only imagine how frustrating and upsetting this must be for Linda--I know it's both frustrating and appalling for me.

We're also not soliciting any paid articles, or offering classes (although we are still advertising for instructors offering their own classes) and haven't done for months. The business model that worked just fine before simply wasn't working in our brave new economy.

Linda has PMed me, and I have every confidence that this will be resolved satisfactorily. I certainly had/have NO intentions of stiffing anyone.
    Last edited by MacAllister; 03-10-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks for being up-front about this, Mac. I appreciate your willingness to share details with the rest of us.

And, Linda, I hope you and Mac work this out to your mutual satisfaction.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    What IceCream Said.

Thank you, Mac.

- Victoria

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
    In the interests of transparency because you guys deserve that from me or anyone else in a situation like this, (and because I'm currently doing paperwork for taxes) AW finished out 2008 just over $8K in the red. I've so far paid off between 5-6K out of pocket, through personal loans, and otherwise as I can...

...The business model that worked just fine before simply wasn't working in our brave new economy...
    Thanks for the transparency, Mac! As soon as I get my first advance check, I am planning to donate some money since I get so much use and enjoyment out of AW. I am appalled that you had to pay so much out of pocket, and hopefully others who enjoy AW will chip in whatever they can (I know that in this economy it's hard to make ends meet for a lot of us).
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

I'm sending money soon. I've been slammed money wise these last couple months.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

Are we ever going to be able to have donation auctions again?
    Sassy

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy

The forums aren't what cost the most, guys, by a long ways -- so please don't interpret the above as a plea for more donations. (Although donations towards board support are always deeply appreciated. )

And I completely understand that people are taking a beating right now, with the economy like it is.

Does money we give support all of AW or just the forums?
    Sassy

Money donated towards the forums goes just to the forums. We have server bills, software licensing fees, etc.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Sent my latest donation in yesterday. I figure I eat up most of the server space...
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

So how does AW generate income? was it classes and such? Ads? How does one support that part?
    Sassy

Mostly ads and affiliate programs, Sass - and ad-supported online sites have been solidly pounded this last year.

If you earmark your donation towards something else, I'm happy to divert it to that. I'm just uncomfortable diverting board support to something like paying newsletter bills, without prior knowledge and consent.

Cool. I ask because I love AW so much.
    Sassy

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Mostly ads and affiliate programs, Sass - and ad-supported online sites have been solidly pounded this last year.

If you earmark your donation towards something else, I'm happy to divert it to that. I'm just uncomfortable diverting board support to something like paying newsletter bills, without prior knowledge and consent.

I will happily offer myself as a male prostitute to pay this bill for AW. Whether AW makes any money from this venture is highly suspect, but being the community minded dude I am, I thought to take one for the team.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Cue the pr0n guitar: Bow-chicka-bow-WOWwwww.....
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonistan View Post
    I will happily offer myself as a male prostitute to pay this bill for AW. Whether AW makes any money from this venture is highly suspect, but being the community minded dude I am, I thought to take one for the team.
    I'll give ya a dollar

I'm a grrrl dog, yo Greenwolf103's Avatar
    Soon as I's get paid for ongoing job that will hopefully bring in what was promised, I'sa throwin' in a donate jus' to do mah part.

I love AW, too. And we know you wouldn't stiff anyone, Mac.
    My site

Blogs:

On writing

On revision

Personal stuff

Pictures

Facebook profile

Twitter: @dawncolclasure

365 TIPS FOR WRITERS is now available as an Ebook!
    http://filbertbooks.com/365.html

Love is Like a Rainbow: Poems of Love and Devotion

Songs of the Dead, dark and horror poems

I've told my husband several times that when I finally sell a book (and I'm very close), I'm donating to AW. You folks have saved me from some nasty mistakes!

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Cue the pr0n guitar: Bow-chicka-bow-WOWwwww.....

What do you get when you cross a brown chicken and a brown cow?

Brown-chicken-brown-CoWwwww
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonistan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brainstorm77 View Post
    I'll give ya a dollar
    Two dollars and cab fare home.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    Money donated towards the forums goes just to the forums. We have server bills, software licensing fees, etc.
    Now, you see, I just always assumed that any money donated went where it was needed -- and that was your call -- unless it was specifically earmarked for something by the donor. For example, if I donated $20.00 through the PayPal button up top, I assumed you would use it where it was needed for all of AW since they are all interconnected in my mind and you are the only one who knows where the most pressing deficits are.

The only exception to this would be if, for example, there was a donation drive to buy a new server and I donated $20.00 with a note "for new server," then I would expect it to go to the new server fund.

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    Two dollars and cab fare home.
    So cruel. You cut me and I am deeply wounded by that... snif....

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast