The Absolute Write Blogroll

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wait. I'm not sure what your issue is. You have a small blogroll on your blog. What was it you were trying to do with the blogroll that isn't working?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
KTC, people are meant to add the blogroll by adding the code to their template, not by adding blogs individually to their links list.

For wordpress.com blogs, I'm willing to make an exception if people just add it like you have.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh. Ha! I never caught on about that. Holy...that would be convenient! Sorry. Yes. No...that can't be done.

I'm such a newb! Thanks, Ben.

DisobedientWriter

Kirsten Lesko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
disobedientwriter.com
A newb with 20,000 posts. LOL!

So, I don't have a self-hosted blog. It is a free one. I'd be happy to manually add the list, but now sure how to get the links or to keep them updated? Should I give up hope at this stage?

Thanks!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Perhaps try looking to see if wordpress.com has a widget for blogrolling.com or javascript first. But yeah, it's quite painful to keep the list updated and such. One person did it for a bit and then gave up.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com

BTW, for those who want to add to LJ, here are the steps (I think. I don't see any links rolling by but that might be because I'm not on the list yet).

Click on "User Info" then on "Journal" and navigate down to "Customize Journal Style". When the page comes up, Click on "Sidebars" under "Customize Your Theme." Enter a Custom Title for a sidebar.

Paste script into "Body of Custom Sidebar Module." Click "Save Changes."

I'll edit this post if something goes wonky and I got the instructions wrong.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Thanks Catadmin, I'll add you and post a link to your instructions on the original post, if it's all working fine. If it's not scrolling it suggests to me that it won't. Does LJ support Javascript?

Project nachonaco, Blogger supports the blogroll as do some others, just not wordpress.com as far as I know. Wordpress blogs on their own domain do support the blogroll.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
Gosh darnit. LJ does not support javascript because they can't find a way to do so without compromising their security. I can put the script in, but apparently it's "washed" before it opens up in the browser window.

Funny, though. I've got the picture for the blog roll and the little links above and below the "scrolling list" just fine.

Don't suppose someone has a plain vanilla html version of this?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Proach, have you added the blogroll? I think you'll find that it won't work as wordpress.com doesn't support Javascript. Sorry, this has been a real problem for wordpress.com users.

Catadmin, the source of the blogroll is through a service called blogrolling.com and the only way they provide a code is via Javascript, sorry.