Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
http://www.ebookweek.com/index.html

Anybody planning to read any E-books to mark the occasion? Are you doing anything special on your site or blog?

I have a series of blog posts planned this week. Time permitting, I will put them up.

I'm also DEFINITELY going to read an E-book this week. Or two. :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've never really thought about e-books, but then again I'm old and set in my ways. Is it cheap or free? I think a free offer might get me to check one out. If the books are cheaper I might also. I would need a really good reason to spend more than my allotted twelve hours a day in front of this computer.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I have two waiting for me to read on my desktop.
I also have one (*cough*Heroes Die Young*cough*) as a suggestion down there in my sig.
Alas, it was on sale for the last two weeks of February. Doesn't look like it is now... *shrug*

If you do some Googling, I think it might actually be available for free via some less-than-upstanding sites.

:poke:

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded 16 free Harlequin romance Ebooks on Valentine's day, despite having no interest in the genre. It was a case of "you never know, maybe one day I'll open one".

S'pose I could read one...

:)

Edit: Legally free. They were given away by Harlequin as a Valentine's/anniversary offer.

Last edited:

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
There's definitely sites out there offering free E-books. Some writers even offer some of their books as a free E-download.

I know that in honor of the week, some free E-books are yours for the clicking.

I am going to share a link each day of the week on my DC blog. But for now, here's a few:

http://www.zumayapublications.com/ebooks.php

http://www.free-ebooks.net/

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I've got quite the library of eBooks on my hard drive and they're probably the only books I'll be reading this week!

(Sorry, Maureen McCormick. I'll finish reading your memoir later! Unless it's available as an e-Read. :D )

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
There's definitely sites out there offering free E-books. Some writers even offer some of their books as a free E-download.

I know that in honor of the week, some free E-books are yours for the clicking.

I am going to share a link each day of the week on my DC blog. But for now, here's a few:

http://www.zumayapublications.com/ebooks.php

http://www.free-ebooks.net/

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I've got quite the library of eBooks on my hard drive and they're probably the only books I'll be reading this week!

(Sorry, Maureen McCormick. I'll finish reading your memoir later! Unless it's available as an e-Read. :D )
Thanks.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Some epubs are offering free reads or special offers. Ravenous Romance is currently offering a buy one get one free gift certificate special for March. Their full length books are only $4.99, so you can give one away and buy a book for yourself with the free certificate.

The Wild Rose Press offers Free Reads, a selection of short stories for free download.

I'd like to add that I have books published with both.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
By all means, if you're going to celebrate Read an E-Book week, don't go through a shady site to do it. Jesus. E-book writers have copyrights too.

You can find my ebooks all over the web. Click the banner in my sig line for my latest, but since it's a third in the series I'd consider getting the first book first...you know, for continuity's sake. So, in honor of the week, I'll give away a set of my Asphodel series. Check for details on my blog tomorrow. And if you don't like epic fantasy, have no fear. There are wonderful e-books in all genres available out there. You'll be able to find something that you like. Trust me.

scottm

Registered
Reaction score
Someone was just asking about free ebooks. I am a big fan and supporter of paid ebooks too. I read them on my phone, but many ebook sites are selling books that people do not know are free. If you want a classic, you don't have to pay for it. I do believe everyone should buy new ebooks and read them.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I took objection to this:

You can find anything on scribd, but I'm not sure how long the site will be around, it's hard to say how they treat copyrights.

There are many opportunities to read ebooks for free online. TOR is a good example of a legit site where you can do so. But no site that steals ebooks and shares them with others should be encouraged on any writers' site. That makes me pull out my soapbox. Now I'll put it away and get back to work.

Welcome to AW. You should go post an into thread for yourself in the Newbie forum so we can greet you properly. :)

scottm

Registered
Reaction score
Well my first few posts aren't really going that well. I don't have anything to do with scribd. They are way popular though, 197 on Alexa, and maybe a thread should be started about them if there isn't one already. They bill themselves as the youtube of books, have you checked to see if they list your book for free? I've never read any books on scribd, I just learned about the site, but I think authors should be watching to make sure their work doesn't show up there. I'm sorry if I offended you. I will delete my comment if you like.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I poked around the 'Net and see that Scribd is a file sharing site. When illegal documents show up they seem to comply to copyright laws and take them down fairly quickly when someone complains.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've yet to buy a e-book...... I still like print books .. Maybe I will try out the free ones Harlequin has available.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I downloaded a couple of HQ's Valentine freebies last month, just to see how the stuff is written these days. I still have to read them on my computer but heck, I'm staring at this thing all day anyway.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I poked around the 'Net and see that Scribd is a file sharing site. When illegal documents show up they seem to comply to copyright laws and take them down fairly quickly when someone complains.

I believe Scribd is a place where Ray Gun Revival (where I have several short stories published) posts up copy of their free e-mag for additional readers to find.