AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oceanview Publishing

practical experience, FTW Angkor's Avatar

Oceanview Publishing

I note that Oceanview Publishing, of Ipswich MA, seeks submissions from authors directly as well as from agents. This is very rare. Their website states Oceanview was established in 2006. I find nothing on them in Preditors & Editors, nor in some of the other standard websites. I do see, however, that they will send a representative to Thrillerfest this year. Their website appears above-board.

Does anyone know anything about this publishing house?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I don't know anything about Oceanview's reputation, but it's not rare for a small press to accept submissions both from authors and agents. Of course, whether (reputable) agents will be interested depends on whether the publisher pays an advance.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Banned
    I hung out with the owner, Bob Gussin, for three days at the BEA in Washington, so that would be three years ago. He had just opened up Oceanview at that time. Nice guy, honest, plenty of money, and distributed by Midpoint. We catch up with each other very occasionally, and it sounds like he's not as involved with the day-to-day business, as he has his fingers in a lot of pies. But I think he hired some good help who are working hard to get their books out there.

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    I met MaryGlenn McCombs, from Oceanview, last year at KillerNashville. Really neat lady. I found her to be hard working, honest and sharp.

They have picked up several writers from the conference.

I'm hoping to get the chance to "pitch" her again this August.
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

practical experience, FTW c2ckim's Avatar
    why is this publisher's services not available ?
    www.roguephoenixpress.com 3/25/09 The Darkness Within July 25, 2009
    Meghan's Legacy- Sept.1, 2009; Shadow Chaser- Jan 2010- Witness- Feb 1, 2010 ;Legacy of Murder- April 2010; Secrets and Lies, July 2010; The Prophet out in Oct- Bucks County Publishing; The Unknown Son- Rogue Phoenix Press- out in Oct.
    Avalon Books- No One To Hear You Scream coming out Dec 2010
    Web page: www.kjdahlen.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by c2ckim View Post
    why is this publisher's services not available ?
    Services? Can you be more specific?

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    I think c2ckim means that the webpage isn't opening. I clicked on the link and it's unavailable. Maybe they're working on it?

Banned
    Ah. They could be working on it because I just checked out their site last week, and all the links were there.

thanks
    I checked it too last week and it was there. I didn't know what happened when I checked it this morning and all I got was a services unavailable message
    Meghan's Legacy- Sept.1, 2009; Shadow Chaser- Jan 2010- Witness- Feb 1, 2010 ;Legacy of Murder- April 2010; Secrets and Lies, July 2010; The Prophet out in Oct- Bucks County Publishing; The Unknown Son- Rogue Phoenix Press- out in Oct.

Banned
    If it stays like that for a while, I'll drop Bob an email and ask him whazzup.

Does anyone know what's going on with these people? Services are still unavailable.

Banned
    I'll email Bob, c2.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Whatever it was, they're up again.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Anybody heard anything recently? I just queried these folks, I don't have an agent, but they say if you are previously published they'll look at a query.

http://oceanviewpub.com/submissions

Just haven't heard back from them and was wondering if anyone has heard anything from them recently.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    There is no such thing as a Stealth Publisher.

If you can't find them there's no point in publishing with them.

permaflounced
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    There is no such thing as a Stealth Publisher.

If you can't find them there's no point in publishing with them.
    I sighted one at a Stealth Conference once.

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Got a rejection, so they are still in business.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

Banned
    Jersey, they are very much in business. I know Bob Gussin, the publisher. Nice guy and not afraid to spend money on his titles - though I don't know anything about his sales. His titles are currently distributed through Midpoint.

yup, definitely in business... i signed with them in 2011.... bob and patricia, the owners, are wonderful people... everyone there is very professional

Oceanview Publishing
    May 7, 2012
    http://jeremybatesbooks.com/

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    I queried them last night about my new suspense/thriller work. Fingers crossed.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

practical experience, FTW fullbookjacket's Avatar
    Does anyone who's been published by Oceanview have any info on their process and contracts? Advance, response time, time from acceptance to publication, royalties, royalties schedule?

thanx!

Fairly fast response time--I was rejected by them a year ago.

tri

banned as an incurable tosspot

Interesting

From a 2013 newspaper story about Oceanview Publishing...

"Before retiring, Patricia Gussin decided she wanted to become an author and started attended writers workshops. When Bob Gussin accompanied her, he realized there were a lot of writers who were unhappy.

He met talented writers who couldnít find an agent to represent them and couldnít find a publisher to read their manuscript because they didnít have an agent. They pointed to the best-seller lists that every week contained the same small group of authors.

As Bob Gussin learned more about the publishing process, he thought he could start his own company and help bring new authors onto the literary scene."

From Oceanview's website:

Submissions will be accepted only if they meet one of the following criteria:
    • An author represented via a literary agent.
    • An author who has previously been published by a traditional publishing house (not self-published or published by a vanity press)
    • An author specifically invited by an Oceanview representative or an Oceanview author.

I guess they got flooded with submissions and had to draw the line somewhere. Oh, well.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
    The irony!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast