Serious scenes in humour stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
I cant limit myself to one wip at a time as if I try to write something serious the urge to have my characters become sarcastic grows and grows. To counter this I tend to have a humour wip on the go for when the urge to make wisecracks becomes too great.

My current wip is bordering on the absurd but I don't want it to be ridiculous. I have a number of races that each exagerate human characteristics and a lot of my alledged humour is coming from culture clashes.

One of my races takes itself very seriously. They're arrogant, patronising and are about to start a war. They're pretty humourless, humour from this race needs to come from their actions and their society, not from the comments of the race themselves. This is leaving me with some dialogue heavy scenes with very little humour. I need the scenes to progress the plot as almost every event in the story is a reaction to the actions of this race.

Any attempts to add any form of humour except sarcasm or mockery to this races' dialogue tends to make them resemble Mr Bean (who I would happily hunt down and kill) They know exactly what they're doing. They just feel superior enough to think they're right.

My question is can an alledged humour novel get away with scenes that might be up to 2000 words that are much lighter on humour than the rest of the book?

Craig

Idahobo

The Eskiminja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegeekbeat.blogspot.com
You can certainly be serious for a period of time in your book, but don't think just because you're dealing with a race that takes themselves super serious doesn't mean you can't still be funny. In fact, I would think it could really open some new opportunities for you. They could be talking about something silly in a super serious way. If you have a narrator he could inject sarcastic remarks throughout. Or you could just have someone fart. Those are always funny.

NykeYoung

Whoo! V/A Done!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nykeyoung.livejournal.com
You can certainly be serious for a period of time in your book, but don't think just because you're dealing with a race that takes themselves super serious doesn't mean you can't still be funny. In fact, I would think it could really open some new opportunities for you. They could be talking about something silly in a super serious way. If you have a narrator he could inject sarcastic remarks throughout. Or you could just have someone fart. Those are always funny.
I second that. Two words, Batman gardening.

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
Thanks for the replies.

I was ending up with 2000 word dialogue heavy scenes between too many serious characters. One scene in particular was causing me problems as it was a political meeting loaded with protocol. It just didn't sit right. I've solved the problem (i think) by adding a spy to the meeting and giving him POV for the scene. I've taken quite a liking to the spy and it's evolved my story a fair way. The addition of a new source of humour has allowed me to play my protagonist a little straighter.

My sense of humour fluctuates between sarcastic and surreal. My style of writing is to have sarcastic straight men as main characters and have the surreal stuff happen around them. Scenes where I can't really have either often seem a bit dry.

Thanks for the help

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.