• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Cyberwizard Productions

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Is your book supposed to be published by Cyberwizard, Shade53? Because it lists a different publisher.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
But worse that that, you went from ill-considered editing advise to personal attacks. That shows a serious lack of professionalism on your part.

This forum has a reputation for being populated by people who have nothing better to do than be mean spirited and look for reasons to trash other people.

And you have established a reputation for being a hypocrite.

When you've dug a hole this deep, it's best to stop digging.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
to each their own.

Some people delight in tearing other people down.

This forum has a reputation for being populated by people who have nothing better to do than be mean spirited and look for reasons to trash other people.

Then I'm glad I'm here. I've been trashed to the point to where my eyes are open and become a better writer for it.

Tri

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
to each their own.

And you're honestly well on your way to creating a reputation of being unprofessional. You don't see other publishers engaging in this sort of behaviour. I'm of the mind that if you're good at what you do, negative comments aren't going to matter because whatever it is you do is going to stand on its own merits regardless. People slam Microsoft, but it's still raking in millions of dollars a year isn't it?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Not all the covers are awful. I was quite pleased with the one done for my collection. It's not part of the fantasy section but the scifi one.

Hardwired Humanity

I just read the Product Description on Amazon.

Set in the new future, when cyborgs are not too uncommon, Sarah weaves tails of suspense and intrigue packed with raw human emotion.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
QoS--I know I was harsh on the publisher/editor in chief/ whoever is in charge. He or she is not terribly good at the craft of writing (or editing) and it wanted pointing out to the writers who asked about this company.

But we do not go after its other writers.
That bit posted on Amazon might not have been by the author. I've read worse copy from bigger places that had books in the stores.

On the up side, CW is not charging them money, trying to sell overpriced books back to them, or otherwise attempting to rip them off. They have a severely limited target market to judge by their submission guidelines, and their prices are over the top.

My opinion is that they are well-meaning amateurs with sloppy editing and worse covers. If any of their writers can overcome those and make a sale, more power to them.

But if the writers are able to do THAT, then they need to shop their next book to a commercial house, turn pro, and stop wasting time in the pee-wee leagues.

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com
to each their own.

Two points:

1. Art might be subjective, but it's far less subjective than you think, commercial art even less so. Baen Books, as I've said before, has hideous covers ... that still manage to look professional. Bad art can work on a cover, as long as the cover functions as it needs to. Yours do not.

2. It's not "Trashing people". It's basic due diligence. If I'm investing my money with somebody, I want to make sure they're not going to run off with it, invest it in trash stock, or (if it is a business venture) go bankrupt inside of six months. If I'm investing my book with a publisher, I want to make sure they're going to do as good a job on their end as I did on mine. I've been burned as both an artist and a writer and I want to help other creative types avoid that experience. If I see a red flag, I'm pointing it out. Your job is to address the flags, not defend them.

The sales materials you decide to use for your products is your choice. However, this is not a forum for publishers. This is a forum for authors, and someone seeking small press publication should know what to expect from you and should understand what poor promotional materials (this includes covers) means in regards to potential sales. I also find it far more illuminating that you'd rather defend poor material than invest in quality. It speaks volumes for your attitude as a publisher and it does not cast you in the best light.

It sucks to be on the receiving end of this process, but that's part of the game. A reputation is not something you're handed. You earn it, and right now you're earning a bad one. Yes, it hurts to be told that your baby has flaws. The amateur reaction is to break down and start screaming. The professional reaction is to suck it up, put on the big girl panties and go back to work. This is what you expect from your authors. This is also what your authors should expect from you.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
crystalwizard:

Uh-huh. I expect we do have that reputation insofar as you and your sockpuppets are concerned. Fortunately the wider world sees this forum as an invaluable resource for pointing out the pitfalls of going with clueless amateur outfits, which throw hissy fits when challenged on their (many) inadequacies.

MM

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone calm down.

CW has a right to his/her opinion and we --certainly *I*--have put "Crystal Wizard" through the wringer.

Anger is perfectly normal. Not professional, but normal.

CW's reaction speaks volumes to potential writers looking to check out this company; we don't need to pour gas on that fire.

CW, if I may direct your attention to the thread for DarkStar Books.

Their head honcho is a study in grace under fire.

He came here, was met with suspicion, 'cause face it, there are a lot of ripoffs in this industry, and answered all posts openly and with calm consideration.

All questions were addressed, given thorough answers, no dodging, no hand waving, no anger, and in a professional manner.

He won everyone over.

No one here is specifically after YOU, though it may seem so. Our goal is to look at publishing operations with a neutral eye, determine if they are a good choice for new writers, and lay the facts out.

Neither CW or DarkStar are a good choice for new writers.

The reasons for not recommending CW have already been detailed.

DarkStar is, at present, only looking at work from established writers and won't do open submissions until their business is solidly afoot. A new writer needs to go elsewhere, since DS can only give them a rejection at this time.

But CW may certainly take a page from DS on presenting a calm professional front.

At this point you are your own worst enemy.

If you intend to be a pro operation, then behave like one. What would DarkStar do?

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
why are there so many imprints? is that usual? are they all very different or more like franchises?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Larger houses like Macmillan have various imprints to deal with various genres.

http://us.macmillan.com/#

Just click on "Publishers" and you'll see the different names under their general umbrella.

The imprints themselves have imprints. St. Martin's is owned by Macmillan and in turn have St. Martin's Press and St. Martin's Griffin. I think the former does mysteries, and the latter is their romance line.

In the case of this micro press, they seem to have a different imprint for each genre. That's a fairly common thing, but unless a house has dozens of titles in each, it doesn't present well and may confuse writers hoping to submit work.

If their work has an alien who lands in the old west, which house do they send it to?

It likely doesn't matter since all mails seem to go to a single e-box and someone else can decide the genre.

They also seem to be reprinting public domain titles like the Raffles stories. At least the generic covers for those are stock photos, not clumsy computer art. I expect they turn a profit on the odd sale but they're overpriced. The books are available on Amazon in Kindle and at used stores.

Oh, yeah, the library, too! ;)

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
CW, if I may direct your attention to the thread for DarkStar Books.

Their head honcho is a study in grace under fire.

He came here, was met with suspicion, 'cause face it, there are a lot of ripoffs in this industry, and answered all posts openly and with calm consideration.

All questions were addressed, given thorough answers, no dodging, no hand waving, no anger, and in a professional manner.

He won everyone over.
And how. This is the second time I've seen Gill link to them in fifteen minutes of browsing this subforum. The folks at AW are good ones to have at your back.