The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: mental_floss Magazine / Mental Floss, LLC

mental_floss Magazine / Mental Floss, LLC

I did a search and couldn't find anything on the forums. Writer's Guidelines are here but they don't mention anything about payment. I see their magazine in Books A Million and other big box bookstores so they are legit.

Has anyone worked for them or know any information cause their Writer's Guidelines are not very informative.
    Facebook

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
    Chapter One complete 2,034

*bumpity bump bump*

anyone ever work with mental_floss magazine and can share their experience?
    Facebook

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
    Chapter One complete 2,034

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I suggest emailing them to ask.

FWIW, here's a humorist they recently signed: http://www.dannygallagher.net/index.php?itemid=314
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Rock and Squiggle plaidearthworm's Avatar

Shake-up at Mental Floss? (merged into BR&BC thread)

I queried Neely Harris at Mental Floss five weeks ago, never heard anything back. That's very unusual for the magazine; I've written for them once, pitched a few times, and I always heard from them within seven to ten days. After a couple of weeks, I double-checked the website's submissions page. Things had changed in the two weeks since I queried. Neely was no longer listed as the editor; it's now Jim Kaminsky. Since I had used the editor's specific email the first time, I re-queried to the general submission email addy listed.Three weeks, nothing.

Is there anyone on AW currently working with them? Have you noticed changes in procedure and times? Just curious. I really enjoyed working with them, but I wonder if I should just move on with this story idea and try them later with another one.
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW

Mental Floss magazine

Has anyone ever written for them? How much do they pay? How do they deal with rights?

I did a search and found this old conversation, but no recent info. (Mods, apologies, I couldn't figure out how to reply to the old convo.)

I did a google search and found this blog post from 2007, in which a freelance writer says Mental Floss has fine print that says all pitches become the property of Mental Floss, with no compensation to the writer. Very troubling. But, that's 2007. Surely they've changed?

Well, I found this on their website:

Disclaimer: All submissions made to mental_floss become the property of Mental Floss Inc and may be used without further permission by the submitter and without compensation to the submitter. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not submit anything to mental_floss.
    Are they really as bad as they sound? I like the magazine but based on this, I'm inclined to stay far away from them.

That's an appalling T&C. That's not just a rights grab in the usual sense; they're claiming rights over people's pitches. Ideas aren't even copyrightable. It's so incredibly cynical and greedy.

Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    So, all submissions are unconditional donations -- theirs to use as they see fit whether they accept them and/or compensate you or not? Wow.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

I've enjoyed their YouTube videos, but I'd never send them anything. Not with those terms.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

practical experience, FTW
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds this troubling. I'm a trivia geek, and I've enjoyed reading their webste and watching their YouTube videos. I've even written some stuff that would probably be a great fit for their magazine. But with terms like that, I'm not even comfortable with querying them, much less writing for them.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    About the only thing I'd accept terms like this is for a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.